Tenacious

I've got a few folks in my unit that I consider buddies outside the office. For Christmas this year I got each one a Spyderco Tenacious with a custom Kong-made lanyard. Next year they get fruitcake...

TENBY8.jpg

As a side note the Tenacious is a really well-made knife, especially for what they cost.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anybody still wanting one, this seems to be a good deal I saw today, $31 and free shipping:

Plain blade:

Amazon.com: Spyderco Tenacious G-10 Handle Folding Plain Edge Knife: Home Improvement

Serrated:

Amazon.com: Spyderco Tenacious G-10 Handle Folding Serrated Edge Knife: Home Improvement

- OS

edit: well, hmm, looks like the serrated ones are about the same on eBay, but not the plain bladed ones.

Edited by OhShoot
Did you order one Mac? The price seems to fluctuate on the Tenacious a lot. Just a few months ago there were $27 on Amazon and now $31. Still a really good knife for the money.

Naw. I'm really gonna have to take the cure. I just went on a neck knife binge, damn near started a new collection. Sigh.

- OS

Mac, I'm looking for a good neck knife, what did you pick up?

Well, most are not 'high end' or anything...just got on a jag for some reason, picked up most of them off eBay.

First, you've got to decide WHAT you want a neck knife for.

I've basically worn 3 different Cold Steel ones over the last couple of years. But all three have been for self-defense only. If I didn't live in "town" and walk so much, I'd probably change to a more "universal use" type.

I started with the Cold Steel Super Edge, and it's still a really good viable choice for last ditch defense in the smallest package possible. For about 6 months now, I've been carrying the Counter Tac II, which I think you've seen. It's obviously made for only purpose.

If I were just wanting an all around neck knife to wear hidden or openly if fishing/camping or at work for general use/boxcutting or whatever, just so I always had a knife on me, the new Becker Eskabar is nice a somewhat improved version of the Necker. Sheath (same for both) is overkill though, and I bought a smaller and better holding kydex one from a maker on eBay.

Kabar also makes the smaller BK13 "Remora", which is stand alone version of the little companion knife that comes with the BK7 and BK9, not bad.

Also, the Cold Steel Mini Tac Series is kind of nice as both an all around usable knife with rather series social encounter possibilities also. I have the Skinner.

Then again, if you just want the minimum, the CRKT Minimalist is pretty nice. I have both the Bowie and the Wharncliffe. These, similar to the CS Mini Tac, allow quite the good grip in forward and reverse/edge out but not reverse/edge in.

Even MORE minimal footprint, the CRKT RSK by Doug Ritter ain't bad, and also, of all things, I like a little $10 Mtech pretty well.

The sheaths are as important as the knife. The little Mtech one I heated in oven and smushed in a couple of places so that it retained well. I've done that to a couple of other cheapos I picked up, too. And replaced even the Becker sheath. Sheath has to hold well, lay flat, yet release nicely, etc. Every bit as important as the knife, really, if you're gonna carry this way.

At any rate, for my mostly urban purposes, I haven't changed from the CS Counter Tac for EDC. Of course, as you know, I carry several other knives, so I have normal use covered, and then some. :)

I get a round tuit, think I'll do a little neck knife summary on here, with pics, as this is already all off topic!

- OS

A Mora No. 1, No.2 or 511 makes a good neck knife, if you aren't trying to hid it. They are very light and give you a full sized handle. You also won't find a sharper knife IMO. Price is right too. None of those cost more than $10 + shipping over the internet. One place I know does $6 shipping for up to 6 knives. Can't beat that with a stick! Ragweed Forge

MK, that Tenacious is a nice looking folder!

Edited by Moped
Neil, I've got an ESEE Izula that I think would be hard to beat for a good all around neck knife. I'll let you borrow it to try if you like, just let me know.

Definitely a good one.

That's what the Eskabar is, a merging of the Izula and Necker.

ES(ESEE) + Ka-Bar = Eskabar

Izula sheath more minimalist than the stock Kabar one. BUT, only one cord/chain hole, two make it naturally lay flat has been my experience.

Since I don't work with Kydex, I split the diff by getting a custom made one from eBay maker:

eskabar-sheath.jpg

- OS

Definitely a good one.

That's what the Eskabar is, a merging of the Izula and Necker.

ES(ESEE) + Ka-Bar = Eskabar

Izula sheath more minimalist than the stock Kabar one. BUT, only one cord/chain hole, two make it naturally lay flat has been my experience.

Since I don't work with Kydex, I split the diff by getting a custom made one from eBay maker:

eskabar-sheath.jpg

- OS

Mac I somehow missed where you mentioned the Eskabar initially. That one looks like the best of both worlds, but I haven't had the chance to handle one.

Mac I somehow missed where you mentioned the Eskabar initially. That one looks like the best of both worlds, but I haven't had the chance to handle one.

Well, I've not handled the Izula, but I know it's super too.

I just already had some Becker/Ka-bar stuff, so just went with it. About half the price of the Izula, btw.

Only major diff that stands out is no jimping on the Eskabar (or the Necker) and they're both 3.25" blade, and it's a little wider, too I think.

'Course, the Necker has bottle opener on the end. :D

- OS

You reckon for that extra $150 it will slit more throats than an Eskabar? :tough:;)

- OS

Hell yes it will slit more throats than an Eskabar. A $150 more worth of throats. :)

In all seriousness, price really wasn't an issue with me on this knife. I like CR knives and I wanted this particular model, so I bought it. Is the knife worth the extra money? To most people, probably not. To me, yes.

Neil, I've got an ESEE Izula that I think would be hard to beat for a good all around neck knife. I'll let you borrow it to try if you like, just let me know.

That would be great, its hard to get a feel for these things without handling one. Of course like anything else I'll probably end up with more than one, but no where near as many as Mac :tough:

...In all seriousness, price really wasn't an issue with me on this knife. I like CR knives and I wanted this particular model, so I bought it...

...I'll probably end up with more than one, but no where near as many as Mac :tough:

Well, heck fire -- toys...I mean, TOOLS, are important. I learned that in Boy Scouts a few years ago. ;)

- OS