Just picked up a Ruger GP100

jitdc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your new acquisition. I have a GP100 that is a joy to shoot. Looking at the picture of your three handguns you've got all the basics covered (small medium & large, CCW, full sized / home defense and range fun) covered. The only thing I'd want to add is a .22lr pistol of some sort for cheap/fun practice and plinking.

Guest The Highlander

I'd also suggest a Ruger Mk II or Mk III for .22 lr. Can't beat them!

One of the most accurate handguns I own is a GP-100, by the way. Absolute tack-driver, and I don't figure I'll ever wear it out. I plan very soon to have a 4" stainless like yours, then send it to Gemini Customs for a little work.

Thanks everyone! I doubt I'll ever wear it out, this thing is built like a tank. I do need a .22 now, possibly a 9mm as well just to cover all the bases (the XD in the pic is a .40 S&W). Someday down the road everyone has to have a 1911, but that's a long time from now. Like BryanP put it, I just tried to cover the widest range for now.

Nice wheel gun, easy to maintain, action job's are a breeze, good sight's and bull strong to boot. The GP-100 is a great value for the dollar spent and will help you learn to properly shoot a double action revolver correctly, which in my humble opinion every handgunner worth his salt should know how to do. Good luck with your learning experence.

I have 2 GP-100's. One stainless 4" fixed sight DOA and one 4" blued adjustable sight one. They are hell for stout guns!!

The one piece of advice I have is to pull the screw out of the cylinder release and apply some lock-tite to it because they like to back out under recoil. Other than that, you can't destroy them!!

Ruger revolvers are great guns. I have a ruger security six that I bought 30 years ago, still in excellent condition. You cant wear them out. I think the GP100 replaced the security six, so you made a good choice. hang on to it. some day your great,great, great grandchidren will enjoy having it.

Congradulations on your new GP-100. I have the same gun and love it. It's my woods gun and my car gun. I carry full house loads in it. You have good taste in hand guns. I own 5 Ruger hand guns. Two Mark IIIs (a ss Hunter with the 6 7/8" fancy bull barrel and a Basic Blued 5") . Two Single Sixes (A SS 6.5" and a blued 9.5") and the GP-100 (SS 4", Hogue monogrip). When you save up and buy a good quality gun, it will retain it's value and you will get the money back if you sell it.

Edited by Will Carry