who here has mouse/rat traps in their BOB?

Guest pontiac_fiero_g

Guest pontiac_fiero_g

i figure they would be great for rats and squirrels and would be easier and faster to setup than snares and take absolutly no knowledge to use.

Yep, happen to have 6 or 8 rat traps I bought.

I figure between these and my BB gun, I can get quite a number of doves and pigeons right here off the back deck here near town.

I also keep a 35 lb bag of bait (bird seed can make a little mound with over the trigger).

Also thought to get some screw-in eye bolts to put into the wood to tie them, so whatever critter can't run off with them if not killed. A dove or pigeon could step on it and fly off with it otherwise.

- OS

• Like 1

I have two in my bob. I have thought of using them as an alarm if need be. You can tie a party popper or other string firecracker to it if it's triggered by a two legged critter. I found some metal ones at Co-Op that look like they would last forever.

Guest mikedwood

Yes I have a couple of the large rat traps and a couple of small game traps as well in my bob.

Like the idea of the eye hooks Ohshoot. I think I'll toss a couple in my bag.

I like the idea,but would have to say do not try sticky traps, they work very well but make a mess. On the other hand as you fight to get said critter free of the sticky it would help to skin the game. I will have to check on some good traps though nice thought _g !

I also keep a 35 lb bag of bait (bird seed can make a little mound with over the trigger).

- OS

I can't help but think of the Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon where ol' Wile E. baited a trap with a big pile of birdseed. Of course, the trap didn't spring on the roadrunner but it did spring on the coyote.

I can't help but think of the Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon where ol' Wile E. baited a trap with a big pile of birdseed. Of course, the trap didn't spring on the roadrunner but it did spring on the coyote.

I specifically avoided the Acme brand traps. :(

- OS

• Like 2
Mouse traps also make good detonators for improvised claymores and other explosives...

I spent way to much time thinking about this one day and concluded they could be rigged to set off shotgun shells. Would never try it, of course, that would be illegal.

I spent way to much time thinking about this one day and concluded they could be rigged to set off shotgun shells. Would never try it, of course, that would be illegal.

How so? You mean, like booby trap to protect property?

Also, would have to be constrained in a "barrel" of some sort or wouldn't sling any pellets.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I have used mouse traps for birds while I was deployed. It was more of an excercise to see if it was possible and it worked well. I would cover the trap with a fine layer of sand then place crackers on the trip. I also setup rat traps to sling cups of water at buddies to help them get in the mindset to look for bobby traps. The traps are very useful and I would say that even if the shotgun shell didn't send the shot the shell case itself would have enough velocity to potentially kill at short range, the whole equal and opposite reaction law. If nothing else it could be used as an early warning device.

Dolomite

How so? You mean, like booby trap to protect property?

Also, would have to be constrained in a "barrel" of some sort or wouldn't sling any pellets.

- OS

You can use a 3/4 inch galvanized pipe as the barrel. Even a few inches would do the job. Weld or attach to the trap with the threads of the pipe. Again, even assembling anything like this would be illegal.

You can use a 3/4 inch galvanized pipe as the barrel. Even a few inches would do the job. Weld or attach to the trap with the threads of the pipe. Again, even assembling anything like this would be illegal.

Oh, you mean, like BATF explosive device, or AOW, or whatever, I guess.

I was thinking more in the protecting property type laws.

- OS

• 1 month later...

I have a pack of large traps in my bag already and some stored away too. I believe in redundant simple preparations. I also carry picture hanging wire for snares. I am also very good at setting up Paiute Deadfall traps using carried twine or homemade cordage. Nothing wrong with rat traps though.

• 1 year later...
Guest Lowbuster

Yes I have a couple of the large rat traps and a couple of small game traps as well in my bob.

Like the idea of the eye hooks Ohshoot. I think I'll toss a couple in my bag.

Guest Lester Weevils

I have them in the prep storage, but not in the BOB. Its already overweight so they didn't make the cut.

Overweight??? Heresy!!! Packing advice from a world-class expert--

http://www.literatur...chapter-08.html

`Now one can breathe more easily,' said the Knight, putting back his shaggy hair with both hands, and turning his gentle face and large mild eyes to Alice. She thought she had never seen such a strange-looking soldier in all her life.

He was dressed in tin armour, which seemed to fit him very badly, and he had a queer-shaped little deal box fastened across his shoulder, upside-down, and with the lid hanging open. Alice looked at it with great curiosity.

`I see you're admiring my little box.' the Knight said in a friendly tone. `It's my own invention -- to keep clothes and sandwiches in. You see I carry it upside-down, so that the rain can't get in.'

`But the things can get out,' Alice gently remarked. `Do you know the lid's open?'

`I didn't know it,' the Knight said, a shade of vexation passing over his face. `Then all the things much have fallen out! And the box is no use without them.' He unfastened it as he spoke, and was just going to throw it into the bushes, when a sudden though seemed to strike him, and he hung it carefully on a tree. `Can you guess why I did that?' he said to Alice.

Alice shook her head.

`In hopes some bees my make a nest in it -- then I should get the honey.'

`But you've got a bee-hive -- or something like one -- fastened to the saddle,' said Alice.

`Yes, it's a very good bee-hive,' the Knight said in a discontented tone, `one of the best kind. But not a single bee has come near it yet. And the other thing is a mouse-trap. I suppose the mice keep the bees out -- or the bees keep the mice out, I don't know which.'

`I was wondering what the mouse-trap was for,' said Alice. `It isn't very likely there would be any mice on the horse's back.'

`Not very likely, perhaps,' said the Knight: `but if they do come, I don't choose to have them running all about.'

`You see,' he went on after a pause, `it's as well to be provided for everything. That's the reason the horse has all those anklets round his feet.'

`But what are they for?' Alice asked in a tone of great curiosity.

`To guard against the bites of sharks,' the Knight replied. `It's an invention of my own. And now help me on. I'll go with you to the end of the wood -- What's the dish for?'

`It's meant for plum-cake,' said Alice.

`We'd better take it with us, the Knight said. `It'll some in handy if we find any plum-cake. Help me to get it into this bag.'