Feedback from Motorcycle guys! VStar Classic 650

Smith

I came across a great deal on a Yamaha VStar Classic 650 and wanted some feedback from you motorcycle guys in the know. It feels and rides great, but I'm unfamiliar with the shaft drive. Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks.

BTW - I'm looking for a cruizer/commuter with good gas mileage, comfortable, and enough power to not get me killed but no so much I kill myself. :D

Looks like this.

3n83o23p75W15U25R2acu4604fda8481c1db2.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it'll meet your needs perfectly. The shaft drive is very smooth. There is some movement in the rear suspension that you may be able to feel when you whack the throttle open, but otherwise they're great. Keep up with the maintenance and it'll last a long time. Some might think the 650 is a little weak if you intend much 2-up touring through the mountains, but it'll get the job done.

You need a 4-door motorcycle so nobody will run over you again...:D:

Man! You sound like my wife! I just sold my Explorer and only had 3k to spend on alternate transportation, so this fits the economic bill much better. :D At least that's what I'm telling the wife!

Guest mustangdave

Smith...I'm in the same boat as you...sorta...I'm in the process of working a deal on a bike myself...more of a retro style bike with a British heritage...in the 500cc range. the wife said she wanted me to have a WILL drawn up...

I owned a VStar 650 for a year (between sports cars) and loved it...it was "big" enough that most people mistook it for a much, much bigger bike and it felt and handled like a big bike (but easier to handle than most larger bikes) - it would cruise comfortably at most any speed you would want to go (it would start to complain after about 80MPH). My observed MPG were in the 40+ range.

For what you are describing as your wants/needs I think you would be hard pressed to find a bike better suited.

40-50mpg is about the best you will get from a +500cc bike. The shaft is virtually maintenance free. Might check on valve adj. cost and ease.

I had a NX250 that got 70mpg, ran 60 on the interstate and fun to ride but I also have a FJR, 43-48mpg so coming off the FJR onto the NX left me feeling ......unfulfilled. ;) Though I loved the mpg's and I could get out of traffic quick enough, the kick in the butt is what it lacked. I sold it and got a KLX650 and gained 3mpg's over the FJR but got a torque monster instead :death:.

Just saying, at $3.00 a gallon for Reg, and you'll be putting Premium in a bike, don't ignore smaller bikes IF you're looking for MPG's and commuting.

This VStar 650 would be a great choice either way.

Stick with the Jap bikes for ease of maintenance, reliability and parts availability.

Be a defensive rider and keep your distance.

Good luck.

Edited by kieefer
Guest Tusculum

Mr. Kieefer, Dont start a Harley Honda war cause I got a feeling you,ll lose. I wouldnt swap my Heritage Softail leather bags for everything coming outta Hong Kong!

Mr. Smith, I work and ride with a couple of guys that own these big Yamaha Cruisers. They love them. They are a nice ride for the price. If resale value is not a problem Id go for it! Good Luck! Jack

Mr. Kieefer, Dont start a Harley Honda war cause I got a feeling you,ll lose. I wouldnt swap my Heritage Softail leather bags for everything coming outta Hong Kong!

Mr. Smith, I work and ride with a couple of guys that own these big Yamaha Cruisers. They love them. They are a nice ride for the price. If resale value is not a problem Id go for it! Good Luck! Jack

OK, but can you find a reliable Harley for $3K?

I rest my case.

I have the 1100 VStar Classic, and love it. No problems from it at all.

It is difficult to change the plugs though. You have to completely remove the exhaust pipe to get to one plug. I don't even try. I just take it to my local shop, get a price BEFORE they do the work, then smile at them as I'm paying my bill and they are complaining how they'll never work on one of them again. I wait a year and they forget.

I owned a 2004 vstar 650 for 5 years, put about 18000 miles on it commuting back and forth to work. I averaged 50-55 mpg. Biggest complaint was above 70 mph the engine "feels" like its gonna hit the rev limiter as it turns a lot more rpm's than a larger displacement bike. Maintenance is no big deal. It runs best on regular gas, which is what the manual calls for. The best forum is 650ccnd.com Tons of useful information and a lot of help with maintenance and repair if your not mechanically inclined. It was a great bike, The only reason I sold it was too many near misses from cell phone yakkers! I still ride dirt (9 bikes and counting!). Ive owned Harleys, Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM, Bultaco, Montessa, and Yamaha. My first bike 40 years ago was a Yamaha and I own 6 now. They make good bikes.

40-50mpg is about the best you will get from a +500cc bike. The shaft is virtually maintenance free. Might check on valve adj. cost and ease.

I had a NX250 that got 70mpg, ran 60 on the interstate and fun to ride but I also have a FJR, 43-48mpg so coming off the FJR onto the NX left me feeling ......unfulfilled. :lol: Though I loved the mpg's and I could get out of traffic quick enough, the kick in the butt is what it lacked. I sold it and got a KLX650 and gained 3mpg's over the FJR but got a torque monster instead :).

Just saying, at $3.00 a gallon for Reg, and you'll be putting Premium in a bike, don't ignore smaller bikes IF you're looking for MPG's and commuting.

This VStar 650 would be a great choice either way.

Stick with the Jap bikes for ease of maintenance, reliability and parts availability.

Be a defensive rider and keep your distance.

Good luck.

I have an FJR too. Love it! I'd be riding today if it wasn't snowing.

For the record Hong Kong is in China. Honda's and Yamahas are made in Japan. ;)

Guest buttonhook
OK, but can you find a reliable Harley for $3K?

I rest my case.

a reliable harley the mythical beast!!! :rolleyes:

I'm not against harleys or the people who love them..I just will not buy a bike that is underpowered, underengineered, and overpriced.Dont even get me started on their gear and accessory prices.

There are some poeple who buy them for the cool factor....and they are cool...in there own way. But there is no way anyone can tell me they are worth the money when there are so many other motorcyles out there for much less money that will out perform, will out last, are more (just as) nice to ride, and will look almost the same maybe even cooler.......

to each there own...ride what you want ....the point is keep riding!!

Edited by buttonhook

Well, from your picture in your avatar I would say you look like the typical HD rider...:rolleyes: Sure fooled me.

(only kidding :rock:)

Personally I like the bikes, the Electra Glide's a favorite, but for that amount of money there are BMW's and GoldWings I'd rather own.

a reliable harley the mythical beast!!! :woohoo:

I'm not against harleys or the people who love them..I just will not buy a bike that is underpowered, underengineered, and overpriced.Dont even get me started on their gear and accessory prices.

There are some poeple who buy them for the cool factor....and they are cool...in there own way. But there is no way anyone can tell me they are worth the money when there are so many other motorcyles out there for much less money that will out perform, will out last, are more (just as) nice to ride, and will look almost the same maybe even cooler.......

to each there own...ride what you want ....the point is keep riding!!

Guest buttonhook
Well, from your picture in your avatar I would say you look like the typical HD rider...:rolleyes: Sure fooled me.

almost exactly......even have the high priced accessories (fringe and all)

this is my current ride

VFR-1.jpg

but I would ride a harley...I just dont want to buy one

I almost had to buy my wife a sportster until she rode a sport bike then I had to buy her a ninja

back on topic I would ride the crap out of the VSTAR

Edited by buttonhook