World's Worst Husband...

Murgatroy

So three days ago I decided to quit smoking. I kept it to myself, since I don't have a decent track record at this. Wednesday, Thursday and now Friday come and pass. No cigarettes. This is a personal best for me, and I am doing it cold turkey. My nerves are wearing thin, four co-workers are missing and I have no clue what happened to them, and I have had to replace my computer monitor twice because it fell off the desk for some reason.

I came home from work today and my wife did her weekly provisioning. She was so proud to tell me she got me a carton of cigarettes.

I yelled at her.

I didn't mean it, and I tried to explain to her that I didn't mean it, but it didn't matter.

My couch is kinda lumpy and my blanket won't cover my feet...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand I want to say I am happy for you.

Since I have never smoked and then went though the process of quitting I really can't say I know what you are going though.

Best try to get along with your wife, not worried about your co workers so much they can be replaced easier.

Here's hoping someone else has some good advise for you.

I came home from work today and my wife did her weekly provisioning. She was so proud to tell me she got me a carton of cigarettes.

I yelled at her.

I didn't mean it, and I tried to explain to her that I didn't mean it, but it didn't matter.

and then the fight started......

I stopped, never quite, cold turkey in June of 2007. It is one of the roughest things I have ever done. Your mind races, muscle aches but the worst for me was the diarhea for the first 3 days. Believe it or not but a lot of green tea seemed to ease some of it. Your wife will understand, especially if she doesn't smoke. If she does it makes it a lot harder to stop because my wife still smokes.

The first twelve hours are the worst so I would try to sleep throught that. The next big milestone for me was 3 days, then a week then finally after a month I felt comfortable hanging aorund smoker friends. Even today, 4 years later, I will crave a cigarette but knowing how hard it was to quite is what keeps me from picking them back up.

If you want we can meet for lunch, dinner or you can come out to my place and we can sling some lead. I got plenty of lead and a decent area to shoot. If we get cold we can step back inside the house and sit around and have some coffe. Or if you just feel like talking PM me you number and I give you a call. I can talk guns or cars all day long and actually enjoy talking to people but don't get to a lot anymore since my injury limits my exposure to others.

Dolomite

I stopped, never quite, cold turkey in June of 2007. It is one of the roughest things I have ever done. Your mind races, muscle aches but the worst for me was the diarhea for the first 3 days. Believe it or not but a lot of green tea seemed to ease some of it. Your wife will understand, especially if she doesn't smoke. If she does it makes it a lot harder to stop because my wife still smokes.

The first twelve hours are the worst so I would try to sleep throught that. The next big milestone for me was 3 days, then a week then finally after a month I felt comfortable hanging aorund smoker friends. Even today, 4 years later, I will crave a cigarette but knowing how hard it was to quite is what keeps me from picking them back up.

If you want we can meet for lunch, dinner or you can come out to my place and we can sling some lead. I got plenty of lead and a decent area to shoot. If we get cold we can step back inside the house and sit around and have some coffe. Or if you just feel like talking PM me you number and I give you a call. I can talk guns or cars all day long and actually enjoy talking to people but don't get to a lot anymore since my injury limits my exposure to others.

Dolomite

I may take you up on that. I will PM you later this afternoon after the wife gets done making me run some errands.

Guest tnxdshooter
So three days ago I decided to quit smoking. I kept it to myself, since I don't have a decent track record at this. Wednesday, Thursday and now Friday come and pass. No cigarettes. This is a personal best for me, and I am doing it cold turkey. My nerves are wearing thin, four co-workers are missing and I have no clue what happened to them, and I have had to replace my computer monitor twice because it fell off the desk for some reason.

I yelled at her.

My couch is kinda lumpy and my blanket won't cover my feet...

Hang tough

Edited by tnxdshooter
I actually plan to go tomorrow, however I will be at work most of the day.

I need to take my Judge out and run some rounds though it and my wife needs to practice some as well. Almost went this evening but didn't.

It is my personal land so we can shoot dusk to dawn without issue. You are more than welcome any day of the week.

Dolomite

The short term pain is worth the long term gain. Five and a half years ago I stopped after 30 years using Zyban, a drug originally used as an antidepressant. In a mental hospital they found that those using it also quit smoking. I had tried everything - gum, patch, cold turkey. Take the Zyban and continue to smoke for up to 10 days. On the ninth day I no longer wanted to light up. All the anti-smoking aids work differently on each person. I still love the smell of a cigarette but have never seriously wanted one. Toughest time was when drinking. But it will pass. Oddly enough, a month after I quit I was diagnosed with cancer (melanoma) and have beat that, too. You can do it... and you will look back and see that it was a great thing to do. Good luck.

Hang in there, you can do it but it sucks. :) I smoked M'boro reds (1pk a day max) & dipped copenhagen LC(1 can a day) for a long time (at the same time even) & quit cold turkey in June 08. It will be 3 years in June this year & no fails. But the 1st 30 days I was possessed or at least I felt that way. :confused: My poor wife, I can't believe she didn't kill me. Don't give up! :)

I stopped just before Christmas... I feel the absence of the tax revenue generated from my habit will adversely affect the current "administration".. that is a strong motivator for my... I am a cold turkey advocate, but anyway you do it, well congratulations...

Guest Knightsr25

! smoked 3-4 packs a day for 20+ years before quitting cold turkey 10 years ago. I still want a cigarette!!!! But I am a man of my word, I promised my wife if I went one day without them that I would never have another one. Damn, I wish I was aliar sometimes. Good luck to you.

Guest Knightsr25
Another strong motivaor for me to quit was the money. At a pack a day it is at least $100 a month. Goes a long way towards toys or savings.

A pack a day? That was breakfast for me. I also tried the cigar method of quitting. Those little wooden tipped cigars were hard to draw, so I carried a cordless drill with a 3/16" bit to clear the hole out. I was smoking 30 a day of those, no one told me that you dont inhale a cigar!