NTM '71 Remington Speedmaster w/old Redfield scope

graycrait

I traded for a 1971 Remington Speed Master 552C semi-auto .22 S, L, LR, sporting a lovely Redfield 1-4x scope, very clear with fine cross hairs . The finish of barrel and receiver is about 90% but the stock has crystallized or caramelized or whatever happens to old stocks that may have itself been refinished or coated by the owners at one time, if so poorly done. As this is not a premium collector I think I will refinish the stock.

Very nice feel to this .22 rifle. I love that scope.

RemingtonSpeedMaster552CwRedfield1-4x.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same rifle, though it's not that old. Mine has a crappy Simmons scope that's going in the trash whenever I find a replacement. It seems plenty accurate for an autoloading .22, groups around 2" at 100 yds. Beware of non-jacketed hollow point ammo. Lead round nose is fine, but mine won't feed lead HP's. Mine also has a few dings in the wood where a friend's kid knocked it over. I don't like the color and was thinking of refinishing it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I picked up from The High Road. What really intrigues me is the allegation that this rifle will one-hole Aguilla 60 grain subsonics, as well as function reliably with a tube mixed with S,L,LR and Aguilla 60grainers. If this proves true this next week I have found the Holy Grail of .22 rifles. Of course mine was not "rode hard" and therefore is not in the 150.00 class.

What are your experiences with the Remington 552 Speedmaster? - THR

Just some more detailed though...

I consider the speedmaster, to be the best ever semi auto made; I know, big words. but I have probably had every 22 semiauto rifle made, for under 500 bucks, and this includes several oldies going back many years. But they are still hugely popular, and even used ones command a price of 150 or more, even if rode hard. why? Reliability. they fire everything , and do it well. Even the massive 60 grainer Aguila sss rounds, do not keyhole, fire and extract reliably, and give great accuracy. mine is an absolute 1 hole punch with this round. It can reliably fire short, long, and long rifle rounds , INTERCHANGEABLY, becuase of it's unique chamber design. Now then, they are a bit of a Beeeoch to take down and put back together, but most people never do. Again, why? because even after many years, and completely full of crap, they just keep on working.

they are a very good looking rifle, the ones with quality wood are beautiful, they are very ergonomic, and nothing really sticks out on it anywhere, to get hung up on anything. they are comfortable in your hands, easy and fast to shoulder, totally balanced. It lacks nothing , and has no shortcomings.