Optics and Mounting Advise Sought for my AR15

chunkee

Hello,

My current setup is a S&W MP15OR. I have purchased a EOTech 512, of which still needs to properly sighted as last time i shot the right is was slightly off to the left. I have been looking at mounts, such as the Larue QT110. In the near future I would like to add a Magnifier, still trying to to figure out a good one...the EOtech is quite expensive...good lord.

I also have a set of UTG IRON sites, both front and rear that can be placed on the rail.

1) Is there a way to keep the iron sites on and use the Optics? If so how?

2) If I do utilize a Larue mount for the EOTech, do I need a riser or separate mount for the magnifier? If so, could someone outline a strategy for which work together.

I also have the Magpul MOE Grips and I am not real happy with them. Getting ready to perhaps get a Hogue grip and perhaps a quad rail with better VFG. I am eyeing the UTG ( in know it is a budget, but it would be all I could afford after getting a nice optics system finalized).

Thank you for the look see and suggestions.

If anyone would like to assist me (teach) more about the finer points and get this rifle sighted properly, I live near and belong to Norris range.

Have a great Sunday and enjoy the weather!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The LT-110 will make the EOtech sit higher on your rifle. Regular iron sights will be usable through the lower 1/3rd of the EOtech and you can look over them to see the reticle.

I would use some flip up sights instead, either Magpul (cheaper) or Troy (built like a tank), so they will fold down and out of the way.

I like the MOE grip better than the Hogue grip. I've got a Hogue lying around if you need it.

I wouldn't put anything from UTG on my rifles, just my opinion.

• Administrator

I'll concur with Mike on the iron sights, but I'd disagree with his notion of not using a quick-detach riser of some sort on your EOTech. I greatly prefer Lower 1/3 co-witness of my iron sights with my red dot on both of my AR's. I'd look at the American Defense Mfg (ADM) mounts and see what they have that strikes your fancy.

I like a lower 1/3 co witness myself. I was just curious as to his reasons for another mount. After citing cost and suggesting the utg products it seems that price was an issue. I would recommend ADM over Larue everyday of the week, if indeed he needed a riser.

Mike

what is a decently made/priced rail? Daniel Defense? I have the UTG iron sights, but only the front is flip. what is a good set of flips?

DD makes good rails. Troy makes nice irons, so does ARMS, and Magpul.

Mike

Edited by Mike
  • Administrator
But... LaRue's alloys are infused with Chuck Norris' tears. True story.

:shhh:

That cant be David...Chuck Norris has never cried.

I personally went with the standard EoTech mount and Troy flipups.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

This is actually a misconception. Chuck Norris wept once while cradling a newborn child in the burned out ruins of a ghetto church. That is the only recorded instance of this ever happening.

I'm partial to the Magpul backup sights but am more interested in the Gen 2 Rear BUIS since it will be windage adjustable.

Is this the mount you are referring too? It states you can put the magnifier on there...? How will that work if the Eotech 512 holograph sits on the main part? it is lower than the smaller riser toward the rear...will not the magnifier not line up properly? Sorry for the questions that are simple..I am not versed and am still learning.

American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | EOTech Mounts

I assume then with this mount, and the Magpul flips that they can be used with the Eotech 512 and the magnifer flipped to the side? Is the 1/3 lower term meaning lower view through the Eotech?

are the ADM rails any good? are all their products decent?

i have placed the eotech on the m&p without a riser. I was wanting to add the magnifier and have backup sites as well... I thought the eotech would need a riser along with the magnifier to use the iron sites as well..? Thanks for the feedback

Guest buttonhook

yes! I have a scope mounted with them and I have it mounted with a quick release mount. I use them as BUS so I dont use them at the same time. but they offer several different models. Just make sure you get the right height ones. I'm using the "same plane" rear model with the folding gas block sight.

IMAG0139-1.jpg

IMAG0141-1.jpg

sorry for the crappy photos! but you can see that they fold completely out of the way. and the should cowitness just fine if you wish. One thing I really like about the front sight is I can use it with the A2 detachable handle and rear sight as well and it looks like the standard front sight when flipped up and the rear sight sets almost perfectly flat against the rail. it only like 3/8-1/2" high you can see in the bottom photo it is really below the bottom of the rail

Edited by buttonhook