Hiking Pack

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

I did a search here but didn't find anything. What do you all recommend for a good hiking pack? Nothing for back-country or overnight hikes, just for easy to moderate day hikes. I like a lot of the Maxpedition products but not sure which would be better for hiking. It just needs to have room for a pistol, some food, and maybe a camera. Any thoughts? :up:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Really like my Maxpedition Condor II. Check it out.

I do like that one. Looks like it would also be suitable for a BOB when I'm not huffing my fat butt through the woods.

I ordered one of these a couple weeks ago.. should be here late April or early May.

3 Day Assault BVS

Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault BVS

Dana pulled out all the stops for this day pack. Using the revolutionary 3Zip design you’ll find on many of our futura packs as the base, he then added a ton of military specific features: PAL web, extra compression straps, a radio cradle able to secure a 117 radio, and all of this with the ability to easily carry up to three 100 oz. hydration reservoirs. Along with military uses, hunters have found it very useful as a day pack and for preseason training and scouting. Police and Tactical squads are also using the 3 Day for mission specific loads.

FEATURES:

Futura Ruck internal framing

Futura Yoke

Live Wing Belt System can be folded into the sides of the pack

Futura adjustment customizes the pack to your specific shape with or without body armor

3 Zip design provides top or panel loading access

117 Foxtrot, PRC5 and similar size radios lock into position with our radio cradle

Internal sleeves and ports integrate up to three hydration reservoirs into the pack

Radio inputs, outputs and antennas route easily through the three urethane coated zippered ports

Bolster Ventilation and Stability (BVS) system increases stability of pack and increase airflow when wearing the pack with body armor. The bolsters are made of spacemesh material which also dramatically increase the amount of airflow across the back.

PAL Web on the sides of the pack and interior lets you customize for the mission

$329.00

3%20Day%20Assault.jpg

I do like that one. Looks like it would also be suitable for a BOB when I'm not huffing my fat butt through the woods.

that's exactly what I do. It stays in my trunk 24/7 and when I go hiking I just pull a few things out of it to reduce weight and add what I need for the hike. It's a little smaller than what I was expecting but has plenty of space if you are just doing a short hike. If you wanna come by and look at it sometime let me know. I'm not far from you.

If you want to order directly from Maxpedition you can use the coupon code sootch for 10% off their website. But you will save money if you just order from ebay. That's what I did.

Guest friesepferd

If you are going hiking / backpacking. I highly suggest keeping your gun seperate from your other stuff. I really wouldn't put my gun in a backpack.

You can use a fanny pack or something similar, but I highly suggest you take a look at the wilderness safepacker holster. Its perfect for that kind of thing and keeps your gun very safe while letting you get to it easily.

I'd suggest you visit Gander Mtn, BassPro, or other similar "outfitter" type stores. Most have lots of packs available to try on and compare features. I have a no-name brand (Outdoor Products maybe?) day pack that I bought at the DayHiker in Gatlinburg several years ago. I think it was about $20 and has worked great. Big enough but not too big, drink pockets, nice padded shoulder straps and hip belt, sternum strap, etc. I hiked with it a lot and it's held up very well. The only thing I wish it had is a pocket for a hydration bladder.

Guest nicemac
If you are going hiking / backpacking. I highly suggest keeping your gun seperate from your other stuff. I really wouldn't put my gun in a backpack.

You can use a fanny pack or something similar, but I highly suggest you take a look at the wilderness safepacker holster. Its perfect for that kind of thing and keeps your gun very safe while letting you get to it easily.

I use a Galco Waistpack when dirt biking. Nearly the perfect carry solution for outdoor activity. Keeps the gun clean, out of the way, but very accessible.

Galco Waistpacks

Guest bkelm18

Yes you are correct. Usually when I hike I like being overly prepared. Usually I carry a .357 on my hip for critters and a back up in my pack just in case.

I have been using a Camelbak HAWG for a couple of years for a day pack. Comes with the Camelbak bladder, enough room for what I carry, easy access outside flap to stuff rain gear, and enough pockets to keep things organized. The back pad is also ventilated to help keep a little bit cooler on hot days. It has worked and held up well.

They've got them on sale at Campmor right now. $70

CamelBak Hawg NV 100 oz. Hydration Pack, 75283 | Hydration Systems | Packs | GEAR | items from Campmor.

75283.jpg

Edited by mike_f
Added Price

I have one similar to this that I use for a variety of things, from hiking to kayaking. Plenty of room to carry water, some food, basic supplies, and a handgun if you choose. You could drop in a smaller bladder and gain interior space in the main compartment too.

blkfri01.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest bkelm18

By way of an update, I picked up a Kelty MAP 3500 and I really like it. It has adjustable shoulder strap lengths which really helps for the big & tall guys. It's hydration bladder compatible and has lots of storage space. Doesn't have as many pockets as the Maxpedition Condor II but for a day hike it's pretty damn good. Very comfortable.

Kelty Map 3500 Military/Tactical Backpack

264.jpg

I also picked up a Maxpedition Thermite Versipack. I use it as my hiking holster. While it's not designed as a holster, the main compartment can be cinched down using the compression strap so that it holds a full size gun perfectly. The leg strap is useless if you're a big guy, but you can pick up bigger ones at Walmart for a couple bucks but I use it without it and it works fine. Also has a couple smaller pockets for flashlights, gps, maps, etc.

THERMITE VERSIPACK Tactical Nylon Gear Hip Waist Bag with Leg Strap - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

0401k_detail.jpg

Guest bkelm18
I like that Kelty bag a lot!

I do as well. It seems every color aside from ACU is always out of stock though, and that's the color I got, which is fine since the ACU is cheaper at $76. It really fits the bill. I can cram some food, my first aid kit, my DSLR camera and two lenses, and a 3L hydration bladder and still have a bit of room to spare and it rides comfortably.

Guest Bronker

Bkelm, aren't you a big and tall guy like me? I'm 6'7" and 350. I'd love to see some photos of you wearing it just to see how it rides on us plus-sizers!

Where'd you get it btw?

Guest bkelm18
Bkelm, aren't you a big and tall guy like me? I'm 6'7" and 350. I'd love to see some photos of you wearing it just to see how it rides on us plus-sizers!

Where'd you get it btw?

Well, I'm not quite that big or tall, haha, but I'll see if I can snap a pic. I'm 6'2 and ~300lbs. The only place that sells that specific Kelty pack is here: Kelty MAP 3500 Three Day Assault Pack . Either the ACU pattern pack is produced in mass quantities or it just isn't a big seller, but that's the only color option that seems to ever be in stock, but it's almost $25 cheaper than the other colors. For a big guy like you, it might be a tad small, depending on your torso length.

Guest bkelm18

I like that one. I'm going to be picking up a Kelty Red Cloud 90 here shortly. I plan on doing some overnight hikes in prep to hike about a 1/4 of the AT next spring.

Guest bkelm18

Where'd you get it btw?

Here ya go. Obligatory cell phone in the mirror. As you can see, the hip belt give a nice spot for my gut to rest on, thereby reducing back-strain on those long hikes. ;)

2011-04-25163455.jpg

I have been using my Kelty 3500 for about five years now. I mostly use it for day to day work stuff like hauling gloves, cold and wet whether clothing as well as tools, food and generally anything that will fit inside it. It has been tossed around and generally abused and has held up amazingly.

I even lived out of it for a month while deployed. (I wouldn't recommend that though)

Mine was a gift but I would not hesitate to buy one if I ever needed another one.

28344244.jpge773a8fe.jpg

One thing, do not use it as a ruck sack. It doesn't have a frame and it will put a hurting on you, I learned that the hard way when I used it on a 12 mile ruck march.