Walther P22

Guest rt_steve

Guest rt_steve

Just picked up a new P22 today. Haven't even cleaned the factory grease off yet. I do not have much experience with Walthers. Any special care techniques anyone uses for these? Do you shoot them pretty dry or lube em up good? Any feedback on care and maintenance would be appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mn32768

I've got ~2,000 rounds through my P22. It gets dirty pretty quickly but is easy to take apart for cleaning. Because it fouls up easily, you don't want to soak it in oil, it just makes things worse. Also, the P22 is known to be picky about ammo -- mine cycles like a clockwork with CCI Mini-Mags but has FTFs with other brands.

I love mine, however like previous poster, it is picky on ammo. Walmart bulk box ammo will jam all the time. I've also had a problem that the damn replaceable front site keeps falling off the gun. S&W/Walther was very good about sending me an envelope full of front sites for the gun however. Otherwise it is much fun.

Guest Tnbusarider

We have had 3 , never had any jams. They do seem to like the mini mags! Currently have the carbon fiber model, great gun!

I've also had a problem that the damn replaceable front site keeps falling off the gun. S&W/Walther was very good about sending me an envelope full of front sites for the gun however.

I've had some trouble with the front site as well. I need to try to contact them and see if I can get some extras.

Edited by vontar

I run the Federal Bulk pack through mine without any problems. The Remington bulk packs have caused ftf's not only in my P22 but my Thomson Center .22 rifle as well. Even id you have to run CCI mini mags, still pretty cheap at around $7 a box

I've had one since 2004. Moderate lubrication seems to be all that's necessary. Solid, high velocity ammo seems to run best. I think hollow points deform on the feed ramp.

The small grip is great for youngsters, but the short barrel which I have produces a good deal of blast. If I get into suppressors this will be first.

Good shooting!

Guest aaron a

I use them for my classes and thay are a fun little gun to shoot. Dont wast time using any thing other than the CCI it is the only ammo that works well with these guns.

I use them for my classes and thay are a fun little gun to shoot. Dont wast time using any thing other than the CCI it is the only ammo that works well with these guns.

Actually I bought a couple of big boxes of Remington Golden to run through my AR. They totally jam up in the AR. But the P-22 likes them. Go figure.

Guest buttonhook

I think the golden lube sucks!! it get on everything!!!....ibut mine hasn't had any problems with the cci or the federal bulk. I did break it in with the CCI's

I bought one last year, and presented to my wife the day before she went to qualify for her HCP. Straight from the box, it was flawless (CCI mini-mags of course) She loved it and scored 100%. I had run thru a couple magazines before giving it to her but no cleaning. It now has about 400 rounds thru it and has been cleaned twice. Rem oil has been working good for me. Just a light application.

Mine will not run on the Federal bulk pack (and neither will a marlin 60 I've got) but it works fine with the Remington bulk pack.

I need a shorter front site. Can you call or write S&W and get these? I've forgotten what numbers I have, but even the shortest is not short enough.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Another happy owner here. Mine is a bit over a year and a half old. Never any failures but I have never put anything but the CCI mini-mags in it. I started it out with them based on what I had read and just have never seen a reason to shoot anything else. The mini-mags seem to always be available so that is all I buy and until recently the P22 was the only 22 I owned. I have a good time shooting that little thing, it is a fun little gun IMO.

I did recently pick up a Ruger 22/45 but have not fired it yet, I figure I will feed it the mini-mags too, hopefully it will eat them just fine.

Guest aaron a

Has anyone had any problems with the safety on there p22. Example put the firearm on safety and pull the trigger is the hammer moving the safety to off with a couple drops of the hammer.

Guest jparn

I would definitely break the P22 in on CCI's at the very least. I tried to break mine in on some cheap subsonic from Wally World and I can say that it was a disaster. After about a 1k rounds it started getting less picky, at least mine did.

So far I shoot CCI, Remington and winchester though mine. I am just finishing up the boxes of Remington I have then I am going to be CCI and winchester just because I prefer those band. Mainly because I have more misfires with the Remington in my .22 Rifle, go figure.

I love mine, however like previous poster, it is picky on ammo. Walmart bulk box ammo will jam all the time. I've also had a problem that the damn replaceable front site keeps falling off the gun. S&W/Walther was very good about sending me an envelope full of front sites for the gun however. Otherwise it is much fun.

I just called them up and they are dropping me some front sites in the mail. No cost. Just ask me for the serial number and my mailing address. Thanks for the tip.

I just called their customer service number. He said I should have them in about 3 days.

I just tested some ammo in my p22. I found that round nose no matter the maker works great. I had some cheap federal round and CCI both fed and fired with no problems. I also tried remington and winchester bulk JHP, I had FTF, FTE and stove pipes with them. I loaded a magazine with round nose and a magazine with HP and could see the difference in where they would hit the feed ramp. I think it is not the quality of the ammo but the shape. Just my .02