XD Sub Compact 9mm VS XD Compact .45

Guest Kamikaze

Guest Kamikaze

I have been carrying a 9mm XD sub compact for a while. Today my new .45 compact came it. Here are the two incase anyone is interested in either one.

fddecbb9.jpg

f6d9a373.jpg

629394dd.jpg

a9601ea1.jpg

c3015c22.jpg

1999030c.jpg

91a689fb.jpg

ab2ada29.jpg

77385c7c.jpg

f7795e6d.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

You planning to keep carrying the 9? Carry the new one? Alternate days? Switch with the seasons? I loved the XDsc when I played with it at the range. I think either an XD or an M&P will be in my future.

Guest Kamikaze

I think the 9mm will still be my church gun just because it is easier to conceal and tuck in when I wear a button up shirt. Now on Sundays that I am on usher duty and have my suit on I will probably pack the .45. For work and general running around I will just carry the .45.

It’s a tough pick between the two because there is very little difference in the feel of the gun when it is in the holster. Visible printing is a push. The extra length of the grip is negligible and doesn't cause any more printing. The one inch longer barrel is not visibly noticeable.

My real world experience so far is there is hardly any noticeable weight difference in the two so comfort is not an issue. I do notice the extra barrel length when sitting. I just notice it, its not uncomfortable at all.

There is a slight difference in round count. The 9mm holds 13+1 while the .45 holds 10+1. Slight advantage on paper to the 9mm with both concealment mags being used. With that said I don't feel like if the time ever came to have to use it in a one on one situation the round count would matter either way.

With the 9mm you have 3 extra rounds, however the sight picture on the .45 is much easier to acquire and keep due to the extra length. I haven’t shot it yet, but from handling it I am fairly certain that with all things being considered the .45 will be more accurate and thus more likely to put rounds on target.

In the real world I feel that in a one on one self-defense situation the likely hood of 11 rounds not doing the job would be very slim.

I don't know what the average round count in a self-defense shooting is but I can’t imagine it being more that 2-4 shots fired. Taking that into consideration I guess you are left with comparing ballistics.

In the 9mm I carry 124g Winchester PDX-1 +P bonded hollow points. From the 3" barrel they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 330 Ft-lbs of muzzle energy at 1085 ft/sec. With the current capacity of the concealment magazine you are left with 14 available rounds at a total of 1736g of projectile weight.

In the .45 I have 230g Hornady TAP .45ACP +P hollow points. From the 4" barrel they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 461 Ft-lbs of muzzle energy at 950 ft/sec. Capacity of the concealment magazine yields 11 available rounds for a total of 2530g of total projectile weight.

My first impressions are as follows:

Concealability: Very slight edge to the 9mmSC (with the supertuck there is no real winner, the .45 might be a tad heavy for a pair of shorts)

Reliability: Having not shot the .45 yet I can't be certain, but with over 1000 rounds through the 9mm with 0 failures I am convinced of the reliability of the XD platform. At this time I will call it a DRAW pending further testing.

Round count: Obviously the 9mm.

Ballistics/Stopping Power: As we all know you can hit a man in the arm with a .45 and he will instantly be evaporated...:poop:..... .45 wins here.

Fit/Finish/Quality: Both guns are works of art. Push.

Price: Push

Guide Rod Lasers: .45 wins hands down. The SC laser guide rod is double the price.

Coolness/Bragging rights: Everybody knows the .45 is awesome....right? ;)

So I guess in a real world situation of an estimated 2-4 rounds fired the .45 seams to be a better choice, although I doubt any one can argue that either one would still suck if you were looking down the barrel.

Nothing really new here as far as info goes. Just though I would share my experience with these two firearms. Now as soon as I get off of work I am going to go shoot the thing. I'll be back with a range report latter. :D

Guest Kamikaze

Just got back from shooting. As expected the gun performed flawlessly. Recoil was good. Accuracy was better than the 9mm. We were at 30 yards shooting 8" round steel targets, misses were few and far between. I am very happy.

Just got back from shooting. As expected the gun performed flawlessly. Recoil was good. Accuracy was better than the 9mm. We were at 30 yards shooting 8" round steel targets, misses were few and far between. I am very happy.

Yep, I've shot the full sized .45 XD. It's sweet. Though 1911's are traditional peacocks and all, the utilitarian XD .45, like its Glock counterparts, is dead solid plus the capacity advantage.

- OS

Guest tnxdshooter
I think the 9mm will still be my church gun just because it is easier to conceal and tuck in when I wear a button up shirt. Now on Sundays that I am on usher duty and have my suit on I will probably pack the .45. For work and general running around I will just carry the .45.

It’s a tough pick between the two because there is very little difference in the feel of the gun when it is in the holster. Visible printing is a push. The extra length of the grip is negligible and doesn't cause any more printing. The one inch longer barrel is not visibly noticeable.

My real world experience so far is there is hardly any noticeable weight difference in the two so comfort is not an issue. I do notice the extra barrel length when sitting. I just notice it, its not uncomfortable at all.

There is a slight difference in round count. The 9mm holds 13+1 while the .45 holds 10+1. Slight advantage on paper to the 9mm with both concealment mags being used. With that said I don't feel like if the time ever came to have to use it in a one on one situation the round count would matter either way.

With the 9mm you have 3 extra rounds, however the sight picture on the .45 is much easier to acquire and keep due to the extra length. I haven’t shot it yet, but from handling it I am fairly certain that with all things being considered the .45 will be more accurate and thus more likely to put rounds on target.

In the real world I feel that in a one on one self-defense situation the likely hood of 11 rounds not doing the job would be very slim.

I don't know what the average round count in a self-defense shooting is but I can’t imagine it being more that 2-4 shots fired. Taking that into consideration I guess you are left with comparing ballistics.

In the 9mm I carry 124g Winchester PDX-1 +P bonded hollow points. From the 3" barrel they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 330 Ft-lbs of muzzle energy at 1085 ft/sec. With the current capacity of the concealment magazine you are left with 14 available rounds at a total of 1736g of projectile weight.

In the .45 I have 230g Hornady TAP .45ACP +P hollow points. From the 4" barrel they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 461 Ft-lbs of muzzle energy at 950 ft/sec. Capacity of the concealment magazine yields 11 available rounds for a total of 2530g of total projectile weight.

My first impressions are as follows:

Concealability: Very slight edge to the 9mmSC (with the supertuck there is no real winner, the .45 might be a tad heavy for a pair of shorts)

Reliability: Having not shot the .45 yet I can't be certain, but with over 1000 rounds through the 9mm with 0 failures I am convinced of the reliability of the XD platform. At this time I will call it a DRAW pending further testing.

Round count: Obviously the 9mm.

Ballistics/Stopping Power: As we all know you can hit a man in the arm with a .45 and he will instantly be evaporated...:rolleyes:..... .45 wins here.

Fit/Finish/Quality: Both guns are works of art. Push.

Price: Push

Guide Rod Lasers: .45 wins hands down. The SC laser guide rod is double the price.

Coolness/Bragging rights: Everybody knows the .45 is awesome....right? ;)

So I guess in a real world situation of an estimated 2-4 rounds fired the .45 seams to be a better choice, although I doubt any one can argue that either one would still suck if you were looking down the barrel.

Nothing really new here as far as info goes. Just though I would share my experience with these two firearms. Now as soon as I get off of work I am going to go shoot the thing. I'll be back with a range report latter. :D

Nice gotta get me the compact 45 some day. In my 1911 I carry corbon dpx 185 grain +P hollow points.

I just got my XD 45 compact 2 weeks ago. Until then my primary daily carry had been my XD 40sc. I love the new compact. It seems to carry exactly as the sub compact. I am even able to use the same high noon Iwb holster. Congrats on the new purchase.

On another note have you noticed any rattling of your mags when full? Mine seem to make a lot of noise when I walk! Oh and if you can't get it done with 10 rounds of 45 it doesn't need to be done.

Nice comparison. I'd really like to have an XD45c and my wife would really like to have an XD9sc. Are you using the same supertuck for both? I thought the 45 had a slightly larger frame, though the difference isn't really apparent in your photos.