My first baby

Guest serpentine5

Guest serpentine5

I finally made it over to J&M Pawn on Lee Hwy. Picked up a Hi-Point C9. Listed at $179.99 and I didnt haggle with them about it. Checking out I asked for a box of rounds and he offered me a box of PMG for $13.99 (he said it was on sale, regularly $26 or something like that. Out the door with the $10 "gun check fee" was $237.21.

Will take her out to plink her this weekend or Wednesday.... will hit you back andlet you know how it goes.

Question... is there anything i should do to her being brand new before I fire her?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally made it over to J&M Pawn on Lee Hwy. Picked up a Hi-Point C9. Listed at $179.99 and I didnt haggle with them about it. Checking out I asked for a box of rounds and he offered me a box of PMG for $13.99 (he said it was on sale, regularly $26 or something like that. Out the door with the $10 "gun check fee" was $237.21.

Will take her out to plink her this weekend or Wednesday.... will hit you back andlet you know how it goes.

Question... is there anything i should do to her being brand new before I fire her?

Take that silly thing off the trigger :)

Guest Lester Weevils

Congrats, Serpentine5

Looks like lots of fun. Are you gonna go out and shoot it this weekend?

PMC makes good ammo IMO. Another pretty decent plinker ammo is the Wally World Federal 9mm. It is about $11 or $12 per box of 50 and works pretty good.

Good score. You may/will find some that look down their nose at a Hi Point, but remember [and this is the god's honest truth] there are people that have paid SOOOOO much more and gotten so much less. Every high point firearm I have ever had worked exactly as it was supposed to. I can honestly say, out of the three I have had, I have NEVER had one of them malfunction. AND, you'll be happy to know, Hi Point has in my opinion some of the best customer service out there. I bought a used 9mm Carbine and it had a scope on it. I called them, credit card in hand mind you, to order a set of factory sights. The lady sent me a set and wouldn't hear of me paying them. I even told her I bought it second hand! Truth, she sent out the sights, a manual and gun lock.

Clean it, shoot the crap out of it, clean it again, and put it away till the next weekend.

Guest serpentine5
Take that silly thing off the trigger :lol:

LOL, you got me... I have kids in the house, so I put the lock on her.... need to go get a safe for her tomorrow.

After watching the various youtube videos on this gun, I was sold. there are a couple of guys on there doing everything they know of to kill the gun and cant under "normal" circumstances (they end up blowing it up, but by means no ordinary gun would go through).

Guest serpentine5

Yesterday when the wife got home, I asked her if she was using the firesafe I bought her for christmas? She said no, and asked why. I told her I wanted it if she wasnt using it to keep gun stuff in. She looked at me with the utmost seriousness she could muster and asked Why Do You Have A Gun? I looked at her and told her I bought one because it was my Second Amendment Right. She shut up, then asked where I intended to keep it, I told her in my shop in a lock box and she never mentioned it again. But yeah, i have to keep it locked up for fear of the kiddos... and I will keep the ammo in a different place. Once the kids get older, and I teach them gun safety and respect, I will start keeping it in the house at night. But that is several years down the road. I want my boys to grow up with the knowledge of guns and knowing that they are not evil devices.....

• Moderators
Yesterday when the wife got home, I asked her if she was using the firesafe I bought her for christmas? She said no, and asked why. I told her I wanted it if she wasnt using it to keep gun stuff in. She looked at me with the utmost seriousness she could muster and asked Why Do You Have A Gun? I looked at her and told her I bought one because it was my Second Amendment Right. She shut up, then asked where I intended to keep it, I told her in my shop in a lock box and she never mentioned it again.

LOL, that conversation ain't over by a longshot. :)

Sent from my MB511 using Tapatalk

No pre-purchase wife approval? Wow! Good luck in the near future... I don't think you've heard the last on this either!

Haha my advice is to never start asking. It won't turn out well for you either way so what's the point lol

Guest mosinon

better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

IF anyone gives you any crap about the high point show them this:

They start out laughing at them but end up impressed

Yep - start them young. My boys could safely and properly field-strip a 1911 at ages 8 and 10, and either is a better shot than me.

My wife didn't like the guns much, until I got her to the range with me and bought her a nice pistol of her own - maybe you should give that a try.

Guest serpentine5

LOL, those videos are what sold me on the gun.

Yeah, the conversation is finished.

Went up to Signal today to a Friends and we hiked back to Fall Creek - him, my wife, my two boys (2yo and 5yo) and myself. Friend brought his 9mm Taurus and his Winchester 12ga, and me with my C9. I picked up three boxes of Federal last night at Wally World so I had a total of 250 rounds.

The very second round misloaded. I did not break her down or do anything to her before firing her. After fixing the mis-load (the round did caught on the ramp and did not go into the barrel causing the slide to hang open), I tried to fire and it was not cocked, so I ran the slide ejecting and loading again, and it fired. This happened maybe 5 times in the day. I am attributing it to two things. First the ramp is not as smooth as she can be, I need to break her down and polish the ramp. Second is the clip. When I load the clip, the first four rounds go in and all stay pressed tight against the top lips of the clip, when the fifth round goes in the spring mechanism goes wonky and allows the lead to lean deeper into the clip then the rest of the round causing it to sit at an angle with space between the round and the lip of the clip at the top. The cap end of the round sits against the lip but the rest of the round doesnt causing the rounds to not line up correctly when being fed into the barrel and the led hits the edge of the ramp..... is this making sense to you guys?

I see it more of a clip issue then a gun issue. But I would like you input on it too, might be a simple fix, grease the clip or something....

After a few clips, I called my 5yo over and allowed him to shoot it with my help and coaching. Mommy did not say a word. Then I called her over to shoot it. She had never shot a handgun before. I talked her through the process and she shot it 4 times before saying she was finished. I did get a few pictures of her shooting it before she quit. I was proud of her.

My son took to it like a natural (guess the video games he plays count for something after all) he didnt jump, jerk, or anything. He sighted up the target, and with my help (tiny hands could barely get to the trigger much less squeeze it) fired off a whole clip.

My friend ran out of ammo so I shared some of mine. Me with an 8 round clip and him with his 15 round clip..... I am guessing he shot a whole box of mine, and I ran about 200 rounds through her.

All in all we has a good family day out by the creek putting holes in an old truck hood we fished out of the creek. I did find one of the slugs I fired just up the hill behind the hood. Was mangled... and TV lied to me. Saw an episode of CSI NY that said a FMJ jacket could be torn off the slug by passing through a news paper... The jacket was still on the slug, it was mangled like the lead under it, but did not come off or even close to it.

Question, looking at the grooves on this slug left by the barrel rifling, there is about half that is smooth.... should it not be all the way around the slug? is this something I should worry about? could this effect shooting in any way if the barrel is only half rifled?

I see it more of a clip issue then a gun issue. But I would like you input on it too, might be a simple fix, grease the clip or something....

Failure to feed on Hi-Points, pistol or carbines, is almost always mag related.

Rounds are not pointed upward at an angle, so nose dive into front of ramp.

Squeeze feedlips closer together so you can barely get the bullet part of the round through it. Need to push follower down out of the way to do it. The feed lips loosen up over time, over for whatever reason; the mags are made from very thin steel.

Could also be that the back part of mag has gotten too tight, but that's usually not the case.

Don't use any kind of lube, none, nada.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Broomhead

First, welcome to HiPoints. I have had a C9 for 3yrs now and have roughly 10k rounds through it. It was my first gun ever.

HiPoints usually have a break-in period between 100-500rds. Things should start smoothing out the more you shoot it.

Go to this link,• View topic - General Terms and Shooting Hints., it is a compilation of mine that lists various, and common malfunctions of HiPoint pistols. The forum in that link is HiPointTalk.com, where you can learn anything you would ever need to know about HiPoints. Every member is knowledgeable and helpful with just about any gun, let alone HiPoints.

The rifling on the bullet could have been obliterated/smoothed out from hitting the car hood at just the right angle. Completely unload your pistol, shine a small flashlight down the barrel from the breech end. Do you see rifling all the way down the barrel? are there any oddly smooth parts? If not, then the pistol is fine. If you do see something odd, call HiPoint and ask to talk to a technician, they are the technical brains at HiPoint.

Good luck and enjoy.

Guest serpentine5

Just went to Hipoint and ordered the nylon holster with 10 round clip. $35 no tax no shipping charges..... In the comments I added that I would like a price on a spare firing pin, so maybe they will send one along with the holster.... maybe not... we will see.

• 2 weeks later...