Educate me, on Mosin Nagant before I buy one.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

Careful with that Steyr. The ammo, 8x56R is difficult to find. When you can find it, it will cost you a buck per round or more.

I wanted one until I found out about the ammo.

Careful with that Steyr. The ammo, 8x56R is difficult to find. When you can find it, it will cost you a buck per round or more.

I wanted one until I found out about the ammo.

Yea, it wont' be the cheapest to shoot, but I am gettin 4 clips with it. YES CLIPS.

Great shooters. You can usually find them for around $100, give or take. M39 Finnish models are even more accurate, but usually run about $200 and up depending on condition. I just sold my Finnish model in excellent condition at a show for $350. It was an extremely accurate rifle, but I wanted something lighter to carry in the woods.

Guest TackleberryTom
I know of a couple places in Johnson City that carry them and are cheap.

I am in Kingsport working for a few days. Where can I find one of those shops with the Mosin's. I will probably buy one.

BTW, this has been a great thread, I have been interested in the Mosins for a while. Thanks.

Farnsworth's in Vonore has a bunch of "interesting" guns. If it was me...and I had your money...I'd buy the k-31 Swiss they had, $279, and they have ammo. The ammo is very reloadable. I've seen quotes of 7 or 8 reloads on a case and still looking good. You have a computer, go to surplusrifle.com and follow some links around. They will tell you every reason you don't want "that" gun...and every reason you do. Youtube.com has videos of people shooting nearly everything ever made...and cleaning, fieldstripping and generally rasing havoc with the gun of your choice...including blowing up an M-16. The more you research, the more you know. Unless you're like me..."It followed me home, momma. Kin I keep it?" "It reached out and slapped me...dig into the savings and pay the rent!" "I just had to have it...I'll make it fit in the safe."

Guest Aces&8s
I am in Kingsport working for a few days. Where can I find one of those shops with the Mosin's. I will probably buy one.

BTW, this has been a great thread, I have been interested in the Mosins for a while. Thanks.

Tri-Cities Gun Depot had a number in stock on Friday, nice looking M91/30s. They are in Elizabethton, not too far from Kingsport (where I am, too). Their address is 1760 West Elk Avenue, Elizabethton, TN, phone (423) 543-ARMS.

Farnsworth's in Vonore has a bunch of "interesting" guns. If it was me...and I had your money...I'd buy the k-31 Swiss they had, $279, and they have ammo. The ammo is very reloadable. I've seen quotes of 7 or 8 reloads on a case and still looking good. You have a computer, go to surplusrifle.com and follow some links around. They will tell you every reason you don't want "that" gun...and every reason you do. Youtube.com has videos of people shooting nearly everything ever made...and cleaning, fieldstripping and generally rasing havoc with the gun of your choice...including blowing up an M-16. The more you research, the more you know. Unless you're like me..."It followed me home, momma. Kin I keep it?" "It reached out and slapped me...dig into the savings and pay the rent!" "I just had to have it...I'll make it fit in the safe."

Interesting you said the K31, I have one that has been converted to 308. It may have been the K11 that was converted. I am not 100 percent on the history.l

BTW, I picked up my Mosin today. It is a 1932, Hex. The wood is very nice as well. I have to get it cleaned up. I got the full kit with it.

I found a M39 in the local daily newspaper advertised as an antique rifle. The bore looked like the proverbial black hole of * #* and though the owner said his son had purchased the gun years ago and had fired it but had not cleaned it. I told the owner I was only interested in buying a shooter. I was able to identify the rifle by referring to The Book of RIFLES (Stackpole Publishing Co. 1965) and have spent several hours cleaning it . Took it to the range a few weeks ago and found it not to be the MOA shooter one would appreciate though I was honored hold a true relic from an extrordinary period of history . I hope other searchers will have as much pleasure as I did looking for a good milsurplus shooter

BTW, I picked up my Mosin today. It is a 1932, Hex. The wood is very nice as well. I have to get it cleaned up. I got the full kit with it.

Enjoy, Vontar. I ordered two from AIM yesterday. UPS has them and they should be delivered to the house on Tuesday. My first C&R purchase! Two Mosin Nagants and 440rds of ammo should make for a fun range trip next weekend.

About Mosin-Nagant;my most recent one was a Finn M39 (determined by reference The Book of Rifles 3rd edition 1962).The previous owners son had bought it @ an estate sale shot it, failed to clean the bore and put it aside for years.His father thought it was a Model 27 but since it had a standard M-N bolt and was roll-marked 1943 on the receiver we figured it was an M39. The barrel was a dark crusty hole with no visible lands or grooves.

It took several hours of methodical cleaning to restore the appearance of rifling. Alas, the cleaning didn`t make it an MOA shooter but it was a"war baby" as such , I feel privileged to have a historical relic as a shooter.

Guest HvyMtl

If you want an antique receiver M39 I suggest gunsnammo.com - I got mine there.

The Sk.Y marked get a bigger premium, as do the antique receivers, as under technicality, they seem to be not considered firearms, per se...

Gonna buy another from there, soon as employment gets better...

Sadly, most 7.62x54r ammo is not reloadable. But a lot of the surplus ammo is cheap...

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting to think cleaning a mosin caked in Cosmo should be considered a right of passage. It is not a very complex gun, not to expensive if you screw up and they are readily available.

It has given me a bit more confidence in my abilities in this area as I have never taken a gun down this much before on my own.