Seriously injured in traffic accident? So what happens to the handgun?

Let me set-up this senario:

You are taken from the crash site on a stretcher, maybe in and out of consciousness. And you are leaving behind a firearm in the wrecked vehicle. Or you will soon be enroute to the hospital and there is a firearm on you somewhere.

Any EMTs out there or emergency room staff?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually asked this same question before and of course some of the TGO trolls came out of the woodwork told me not to worry about something so silly. But I did get a few helpful responses from members. I believe they said that the police officer on scene will secure the firearm for you and either take it to the station for someone to pick up or they will send it home with a relative. Hope this helps.

Guest bkelm18

If I'm injured to the point where I am unable to notify first responders that I am armed, I have bigger things to worry about. :) In all likelihood, the police or EMTs will secure it and you can inquire about it when you're able.

Guest tnfireman

Because we have no way of verifying who is legally able to have said firearm we will allow LE's to secure it. Like bkelm18 said, you will have other things to worry about in that situation.

Friend of mine was killed in a car wreck years ago and the wrecker company ended up with the gun. Parents of deceased were called and they picked it up from the company. I don't know if it was thrown from the vehicle and found or if it was just not noticed in the vehicle by anyone else at the scene. It was late at night.

Guest GLOCKGUY
I actually asked this same question before and of course some of the TGO trolls came out of the woodwork told me not to worry about something so silly.

Whats the deal with you and trolls, if they don't say what you want to hear their a troll?

I was in a traffic accident 9 years ago and was knocked out. The police officer on scene took my handgun from my holster and took it to the station. I had to come by and get it but before they let me have it they had to do a background check on me. It didn't cost anything but was aggravating. And what also sucked is they would not give me the ammo that was in the gun. They said they couldn't keep it stored and had to have it destroyed. I wasn't to happy about that either, it was some good carry ammo. Oh ya this happened in Chattanooga. It might be handled differently in other towns.

Edited by GLOCKGUY

Me and two friends were on our motorcycles, on the way home from Daytona Beach for Bike Week. When one of my friends had a wreck coming off I-10 to I-75. He was taken from the seen in an ambulance to a field where life flight could land and carry him to Tallahassee. In the mean time the Trooper on scene took mine and my other friends info and knew we were going up to the next exit to get a room. The trooper shows up about an hour later with our friends SP101 in hand and asks if we would mind taking the weapon it would save him a lot of time and paperwork and our friend would get his gun back a lot quicker. The paramedics while prepping him for life flight, found his gun and called the Trooper to come get it. We did not even know he was armed so we did not think to get it from him prior to him being hauled off. Can't say this is typical, probably not, but just my one experience. My friend ended up being o.k. by the way and his Ruger ended up being unserviceable after the wreck, bent the crane and cocked the cylinder sideways, couldn't even open it up too unload.

Guest drv2fst

I had a version of this happen to me. I was in a wreck and was being hauled off to the ER in an ambulance. I was awake/alert and able to speak to the officer working he wreck. I had a shotgun in the car. I asked him to secure it and my father or brother would come get it at the scene. I called my wife to tell her about the accident and she called my father and brother and asked them to come get the gun. My father collected it and it was no problem at all. I don't know how this would have worked if I was not able to communicate or if it was a concealed pistol.

Whne I had my motorcycle wreck I todl them I had my gun in my bag and the officer asked if I wanted to take it with me or if I wanted him to take it. He said it would be a lot easier for me to take it with me to the hospital and the paramedics said it wasn't any big deal for it to ride in the ambulance. To be honest it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I had a version of this happen to me. I was in a wreck and was being hauled off to the ER in an ambulance. I was awake/alert and able to speak to the officer working he wreck. I had a shotgun in the car. I asked him to secure it and my father or brother would come get it at the scene. I called my wife to tell her about the accident and she called my father and brother and asked them to come get the gun. My father collected it and it was no problem at all. I don't know how this would have worked if I was not able to communicate or if it was a concealed pistol.

I can't help but notice the irony between your story and your screen name :D

Glad you are still here to tell the story though!

Guest drv2fst

That's how I got my screen name. Before the accident, I used many different screen names on different boards. After the accident, I only use drv2fst.

The trooper that worked the accident estimated that my car was traveling about 140mph or more at the time I got airborne and left the paved road. I flipped several times before coming to rest upside down. I was very lucky. I escaped with only cuts and scrapes.

Now I only drive slow vehicles like the one in my avatar. No more fast stuff for me. (for now)

When I was a cop, the paramedics would give us the guns, or we would get them from the car (along with any other obvious valuables). We would take them to HQ and tag them as “Personal Propertyâ€. The owner or a family member of the owner (with permission) could come to HQ and get them.

But as with everything, I’m sure it depends on the circumstances.

I've actually worked crashes that involved this. We secured the firearms at the police station until either owner or relative could come get them. No hassles just sign the property sheet and here is your gun. I wouldn't dare let a tow company take a firearm I've heard of too many things come up missing in a company's lot.

Excellent responses all around!

I wonder if your car insurance will cover your carry weapon if it is damaged during the accident? I may have to call my agent and ask him.

Normally, no. Each policy can be different, so you'd have to read the fine print, but personal property usually isn't covered in an auto policy unless it is attached to the car in some way (like a custom TGO seatcover). You can sometimes get a rider on the policy that covers personal property in the vehicle against theft. I'm not sure how that might work in an accident.

But all is not lost. Your homeowners or renters policy may very well cover it, but if your deductible is higher than the gun is worth, there's no sense in filing a claim.

Guest carter

had this happen... well not to me but to a few patients...husband and wife where riding a motorcycle... got in a wreck... came to the ER via EMS and both where carrying... both firearms where secured and came with the patients... hospital officers where notified and came to pick up the weapons and took them to there office... they just said when they get discharged tell them to come see me... and that was that... nothing major at all

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pig957

When i was an IN LEO, I was dispatched to an crash between a Camero and an 18 wheeler. As young lady was being preped for transpoprt to the hospital, I inventoried her vehicle and came across her father's handgun. I took the firearm with me to the ER, where I met with her family. As I handed the weapon to her father, I told him that he put her in violation of the law (she had no LTC). She recovered and he learned to remove his weapon from the vehicle when she drove it.