Pigeon Forge- What new to see/do??

Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg-

Taking the wife and kiddos in the morning. Staying afor few days in Kodak, gonna hit Dollywood while we're there. Other than the aquarium, (been there, done that several times and just hit chat aquarium last month) what are some good things to do or see in the area? We haven't been up that way in a few years. Anything to avoid while we are there? Good eats I should know about?

All ideas appreciated.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kamikaze

Just got back today. Little tokyo is a great out of the way Japanese place. The kind where they cook in front of you. Not posted. Also the belt rack in Gatlinburg will make you a nice gun belt for $20. Ober Gatlinburg is posted and other than the tram ride not worth the time or money. Chic-a-fillet has a nice play place for younger kids, not posted. Apple barn is good. Go see the dancing Slabby at Marble Slab. Let me see if I can get a link to the video I took..... :rolleyes:

Mello Mushroom has some great pizza, If you've never eaten there Mel's dinner has some great wings and nanner split, Mamas farmhouse is pretty good , for catfish you got Huck Finns. Hope you know there is a Rod Run there this weekend. The traffic will be awful on the weekend. May take 4 hours to get from Kodak to Pigeon Forge. Way longer to Gatlinburg. If you make it toGatlinburg there is a new restaurant there called Dick's Last Resort.

definitely don't remember seeing any place called Zorb. Maybe that's really the name of the spaceship that did those....uh, "tests" on you....hmmm

That too. My buds from Planet Jack. :rolleyes:

It's there. Look at site. On Sugar Hollow road up past the Cracker Barrel on the north end, not on Parkway. I felt like I helped build it, I delivered so much stuff to them for about a year.

Downhill in plastic bubble. Looked like about half the folks would lose their lunch if not have heart attack.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest friesepferd

drive the few minutes over to gatlinburg and check out ripleys aquarium. it has an awsome underwater tube you walk through in a HUGE shark tank. they also have penguins now.

Food in general is expensive. Calhoun's and Smoky Mtn Brewery both have good food. The Apple Barn is good for breakfast, as-is the Pancake Pantry. If you'd like dinner and a show, kids usually enjoy the Dixie Stampede. Most food servers will ask where you're from. Locals typically get 10% off. Hint, hint.

If you'd like to shoot, Sevier Indoor Range is nice. The Smoky Mtn Knife Museum is neat. The new Titanic exhibit is very good.

Lots of go-karts and mini-golf. None really stands out.

Right now the "Festival of Nations" is going on in Dollywood. My wife and I went last week just to take in the shows. Be sure and see "Drum". It was fantastic. I've heard very good things about "Samaia" but we didn't get a chance to see it.

As for food, we try to never miss a chance to eat at "The Old Mill Restaurant" or "The Pottery House Cafe and Grill." They are side by side and you can check out their menues and decide which is right for you. "Bennets BarBque" is another favorite of mine and the food is terrific.

Hope you have a great vacation!!

Guest RevScottie

You might want to consider leaving the area by Friday morning. There is a car show this weekend and traffic will be awful. Whatever you do avoid the spur road between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge on Friday and Saturday evenings. It can take 3+ hours to make that trip. Also traffic will be very congested leaving PF and going towards the Interstate on Sunday morning and throughout the afternoon.

Take a drive over the mountain into Cherokee ,NC.. its interesting. Go a bit farther into Franklin NC to go Gem mining..Its nothing like the ones in Sevier county..We went for 3 days and could not get enough of it..We got actually some nice rubies, and a bunch of other semi precious stones. We had to stop after 3 days because our hands where raw.. lol

The place we went to has mountains of stuff to fill up your bucket and the buckets are not seeded.. You get a big one for 5 bucks that will last your over an hour IF not longer..They get the dirt and stuff out of a very deep creek bed.. Its gobs of fun for the kids.

Cherokee NC has some really nifty native american stuff, dances etc..

Head over to Townsend and Tremont .Beautiful area, lots of wildlife.. really neat area with a huge amount of Mountain Laurel, and a fast flowing big creek with some of the neatest waterfalls. Can take dogs with you tho.. Bears!!

Even Cades Cove is really pretty.

.I think now even in gatlingburg they have zip lines..other than that the usual tourist stuff in Pidgeon forge

Guest anvil

in the gatlinburg at light 8 is roaring fork rd it is a beatiful ride through part of the park. there is also trail heads for rainbow fall a 5.5 mile round trip hike and a trail head for grotto falls cant remember the distance of the hike. it usually is a good place to see bears. cades cove is worth the drive to see. abrams falls is another good hike. enjoy your trip. as far as food i like the peddler in gat. and the old mill in pg frg.

iIf it were me I would go in thru Townsend "Hiway 321" or if your going to gatlinburg you can take little river road thru the park. With the rod run you can avoid alot of the back up on 66. Just get off on exit 364 and go straight on thru. I guess I'm a little late with this info.

BTW Cookevilles a great town and great people commuted and worked there for 8 years

If you want back roads from Kodak let me know, I live in Kodak. There are plenty ways around the traffic. I can PM you the routes if you want.

Clean places to eat.

Chop house Kodak. Call ahead from 5pm on.

Log cabin pancakes for breakfast, end of Pigeon Forge on left ( French toast royal )

Blue moose PIgeon Forge, best chicken, wings etc, sports bar type of place.

McCalisters PF for soup and sandwiches.

Pizza Place Kodak w dumplin vallley rd. (dilivers)

There's a chicken wing place over near Bass pro. Foods ok service sucks. Still an option. (kinda below and over from chop house)

Anything particular your looking for?