I'm kinda torn on this one...

Human Rights Group Calls for Iran to Cancel Sentence by Blinding Man With Acid

Published May 14, 2011

| FoxNews.com

[/url] 051411_iranacid.jpg

AFP

Photo of Ameneh Bahrami after the attack.

A human rights group has called on Iran to cancel the sentence of blinding a man who was convicted of throwing acid in a woman's face, the Daily Telegraph reports.

A court sentenced Majid Mohavedi to have acid dripped into his eyes in retribution for pouring acid in Ameneh Bahrami's face in 2004 after she spurned his offers of marriage. She was left blinded from the attack.

Amnesty International is calling for a halt to the sentence, sayings its too harsh.

"Regardless of how horrific the crime suffered by Ameneh Bahrami, being blinded with acid is a cruel and inhuman punishment amounting to torture," an Amnesty International spokesman told the Daily Telegraph.

Iran has postponed Saturday's blinding sentence of Mohavedi, Reuters reports.

"The punishment of Majid was scheduled to be carried out on Saturday at a hospital but it has been postponed," Iranian news agency Fars quoted an unnamed official, according to Reuters.

Bahrami wants the sentence to be carried out.

"The verdict is completely legal and I would like to carry it out," she told the Telegraph.

She has gone several operations since the attack which left her severely disfigured.

Under Iran's Islamic law, retribution is permitted in cases of bodily harm.

Read more: Human Rights Group Calls for Iran to Cancel Sentence by Blinding Man With Acid - FoxNews.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownsdd

What if it was your daughter? Screw them, as long as the people of Iran don't have to support the jerk after they blind him, do it and leave him for the buzzards. I would much rather see him dead.

Eye for an eye.

Believe it or not some countries know what justice is and how to enforce it. The rest of the world has no place or say in it. They should just dunk him.

:)

Let the Amnesty International bleeding hearts have this happen to their daughter, and I bet their tune changes. Honestly, as a father, I don't think it's cruel enough.

Guest Kamikaze

I was thinking about this yesterday. The only part that bothered me was that he was going to have acid dripped into his eyes while being put under in a hospital. That is bull. She got it thrown on her face and it disfigured her hands as well. I can only imagine that happens as she tried to get what ever it was off of her face. Screw that guy, strap him down to a chair with his arms free and get a bucket. Let him claw at his face till it stops burning.

A decade or so ago there was a similar case. A women had her eyes taken with a hot fire poker by her husband. The courts granted her divorce and allowed her similar justice. She took one of his eyes with the weapon of her choosing, a pair of scissors, and the ex husband has to pay a monthly compensation payment to his ex wife in order to keep his other eye. If he doesn't make the payment she can legally remove his remaining eye.

In seeing how disfigured she is now, he should bear the same fate, not just loose and eye or two. He should be severly disfigured as well as be forced to provide her with what she needs to live. The reason I believe this is she will never be able to get married now. Single women in the Islamic countries are not allowed to support themselves or even go into public without male family members present. She must now rely on her family in order to survive.

His punishment in a hospital indicates it will mean he has immediate access to pain meds as well as treatment. He should not be allowed these items and he should be tied to a pole in the streets then be splashed with acid. Then cut him loose to find his own way, the whole way the acid burning him. This way he will suffer the same short term pain a well as the life altering disfigurement she has suffered.

If there was a silver lining in this it is her wearing a burka in public isn't uncommon so other than the blindness most others will not know how she truly looks. Doesn't change the fact she has suffered greatly from a life altering run in with a cruel and sadistic man but it may not be as bad as in some other countries.

Dolomite