Facebook

Guest mikedwood

Guest mikedwood

The XP virus thread got me thinking about Facebook.

This weekend my wife hit the "like" Subway Sandwiches on Facebook. This time it made her take a survey. She entered some info such as our phone number (she knew better and admits it) and the survey went on and on, she realized that it wasn't what she wanted to do and Xed out of it without finishing, but they seem to have gotten our phone number.

Now we are getting 3 and 4 calls a day from telemarketers about health insurance and other scams.

One of their 3rd party vendors is really out of control, I think Facebook is really out of control.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd

Yep. I have no problem with facebook and use it regularly, but you should NOT use any of the 'extras' with facebook - games, etc.

Facebook does not control those items, so its like anything else. If you mess around with it, you are very likely to get hosed by it. Just simply stay away.

Guest db99wj

Yes, and yes, and yes, and F'n yes. I think they have gotten so big and popular, that there are all sorts of security issues with it and it is no better than hitting a pop up on a pron site.

Facebook is like anything else - it can be a great communication tool or it can be a huge time-waster. I deactivated my account about a year ago and don't miss it at all, but before I did I was able to re-establish contact with a good friend of mine who I had not talked to in over thirty years.

I use it and it's an easy way to keep in touch with a lot of people but as long as you're smart about what you click on and just be careful, as you should always be on the internet, you shouldn't have a problem. I've "liked" things and never been asked to do anything else after that so I'm not sure what your wife did, maybe it's just a coincidence y'all are getting calls now? My cell # has been stored on the site(FaceBook part not vendor) and I've not had anything like that. Not sure what she could have done to get all those calls...

I don't do any of the games or see who views your profile crap on there either.

I don't think my ninjas ever had a problem on there since I told her what is ok and what isn't ok to do. Just use your judgement and you shouldn't have any problems.

Guest db99wj
Yeah I signed up a few years ago looking for people I used to know, then I realized, I don't like anyone I used to know or I would still know them.

Some "friends" are like that, but since I moved from my home town, I lost touch with many folks I grew up with. I have been able to reconnect with them, and a lot of people that have moved to other parts of the country. There are a lot of "friends" that I don't really like though! I cringe everytime I see that "friend request" notification, I have about 8 on their that I'm not accepting!

It is interesting to see some of the transformations people have made. There is this one girl, she was good looking in high school, great personality, fun to be around, caught up with her on FB a few months ago and when I saw her, I almost didn't recognize her. Time has not been kind.

It is interesting to see some of the transformations people have made. There is this one girl, she was good looking in high school, great personality, fun to be around, caught up with her on FB a few months ago and when I saw her, I almost didn't recognize her. Time has not been kind.

I know what you're saying. Some of the well-to-do gals I went to school with; Today it would take them three wheel barrow loads to haul a22.

Guest db99wj
I know what you're saying. Some of the well-to-do gals I went to school with; Today it would take them three wheel barrow loads to haul a22.

On the flip side, there are a few that time has been, well damn, really good too!

Be very careful with the Facebook ads on the side of their page. In addition to being spammers, they are also full of viruses. My anti-virus software has blocked many viruses off the Facebook ads. Then after TGO's banner ads got infected a while back, I started using Ad Block Plus to block all ads on every website. No problems since then.

As far as Facebook itself, I like it. I keep in touch with classmates from high school and college, and friends from previous jobs. When I first started going on FB, I got addicted to playing Mafia Wars, but that got old after a while, so I gave that up. I don't bother with the games anymore, and just use FB to keep in touch with friends and relatives.

The XP virus thread got me thinking about Facebook.

This weekend my wife hit the "like" Subway Sandwiches on Facebook. This time it made her take a survey. She entered some info such as our phone number (she knew better and admits it) and the survey went on and on, she realized that it wasn't what she wanted to do and Xed out of it without finishing, but they seem to have gotten our phone number.

Now we are getting 3 and 4 calls a day from telemarketers about health insurance and other scams.

One of their 3rd party vendors is really out of control, I think Facebook is really out of control.

Put your number on the national do not call list. It is illegal for them to call you if your number is on it.

Guest friesepferd
Put your number on the national do not call list. It is illegal for them to call you if your number is on it.

tru.dat

Guest mikedwood

She usually just looks at her friends and families pictures and plays Farmville (which has it's own privacy issues), but...

She clicked on a link for a free giftcard (she loves a giftcard and that's what they count on), she knew better but made a mistake, I've done it before too just not thinking.

After further interrogation here is what she did in the below link. it's an explanation of what happens not the link she clicked on. Might be just as nefarious though.

Free Subway Gift Cards Limited Time - Facebook Scam

But she did give it the magicjack number and not her cell phone, which is one of the reasons we have the magicjack. If we have to give a number that's the one we give.

So much can be done with cookies and such now I'm scared to click on anything on any page though. About every big website out there contracts with a 3rd party ad vendor and it's terrible. The local news sites for the TV and paper are the worst.

Edited by mikedwood

Doesn't stop them from calling though. Ours is on that list and they call here everyday. Automated and human. The no call list is good to threaten legitimate businesses with but the scam calls just laugh about it.

Guest friesepferd

Thats exactly why i DO have a home phone.

That way I have a phone number to give out to stupid things that require them.

So I have a home phone, and use it for our security system, and do have a phone hooked up to it, but I never actually answer it if it rings (or i just turn the ringer off), and don't give that number to anyone i actually want to call me.

Thats exactly why i DO have a home phone.

That way I have a phone number to give out to stupid things that require them.

So I have a home phone, and use it for our security system, and do have a phone hooked up to it, but I never actually answer it if it rings (or i just turn the ringer off), and don't give that number to anyone i actually want to call me.

So far, so good. I've had the same cell number for 15 years, and never had a SPAM call. It's all I got on my land lines. Same thing with my desk phone at the office. Most of my communication is with email and other forms of messaging these days.