• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing....I will probably just get leupold prw rings and bases for the remmy 700...I don't see much need for quick release on a gun with no back up sites....unless someone can't point out a flaw in my thinking.

Millet makes a 20 MOA base for 50 bucks. They also make my all time favorite rings for regular scopes.

I can't outshoot the gun as it comes from the factory so the hogue is staying on mine. Most reviews say its .40 @100yds with the hogue.....I can't do that.

The stock rubbing the barrel may not make any difference, as fat as it is. There are other reasons to go with the B&C stock

quick release is also good for storage /transportation Like a 2 or 3 gun hard case wont hold (most times) 2 or 3 long guns with scopes. And safes.

Also If anyone is like me my scopes move around on the guns I own based on what and how I am going to shoot that day. And yes if I dont record the the right number of click per scope , mount and gun there may be some slight re zeroing need but that is always fun to.

The stock rubbing the barrel may not make any difference, as fat as it is. There are other reasons to go with the B&C stock

For what I paid for it, and how bad a shot I am....its stayin stock for now :D

Jeff...you do bring up a good point about cases, and rifles not fitting with the scope on however. I might go ahead and spring for the quick release rings for that reason alone.

• Admin Team
I'm going to spend some time looking at quick release mounts. That could be a partial solution to my bulging safe problem. I doubt that I'll do it on my long range rifle.

You know, I'm pretty sure the scopes aren't really the heart of your safe's problem...but if it makes you feel better, then who am I to deny you that.

Let me know if it works out for you. My safe is having the same problem.

You know, I'm pretty sure the scopes aren't really the heart of your safe's problem...but if it makes you feel better, then who am I to deny you that.

Let me know if it works out for you. My safe is having the same problem.

Well, since you have the same safe, it really could be a safe problem. I have 10 rifles with optics in mine. The optics are eating some space. I could fit some more in if I could store the optics on the top shelf. Not gonna be cheap.

so do you think a 1 pc on a remington 700 with hogue stock(tactical) would be a better choice?

The biggest advantage of the 1pieces over 2 piece bases is helping eliminate any deviation between the two bases which could cause damage to a scope if they are far enough off with being slightly misdrilled. The other advantage is to get built in MOA adjustment. Bang for your buck, the EGW 1-piece bases will probably be the best bet. Above that, Seekins, Badger Ordnance, Ken Farrel, etc, etc. Some are aluminum (EGW for sure) and other higher end ones are steel. IMO, there really isn't the need for anything stronger than 6061 or 7075 T6 alum, but some people out there want steel bases.

Guest 556or762

I had a EGW aluminum base on my 700 .308 and it was crooked I went with a PRI steel base and ARMS rings they are awesome, the Nightforce bases are great too they have a recoil lug to take the stress of of your mounting screws and yes a great mount is well worth the money, I paid 110 for the PRI and never looked back. I notice someone is trashing a Hogue stock, I love mine but I have the full aluminum bedding block and they make it with and without so that could be the issue, it has just the right amount of curve to get it to sit right on a pack or a bag if you want to get off of the bipod for a shot. I dont count for much but I wont ever go back to a two piece mount and probably wont use aluminum over .223 cal. I have an aluminum +20 moa base ordered for my Savage MKII .22 so I can get it out farther without using my mil dots, right now I run out of elevation and go to my last dot to get a 300 yd shot on target. I will also note that I am nuts and not many people try to shoot a .22 300yds but hey it is great training for the big calibers and I can hit a coke can at 200 all day long with subsonic and a YHM MITE can on the end so why not go farther. I would also suggest everyone get a + 20 moa base no matter what, I have never heard of anyone not being able to get there crosshairs low enough but several have told me they ran out of elevation so they are pretty much standard for my guns (even the .22's now) oh and if anyone wants one the +20moa 1 piece bases for MKII's are from EGW I will post my thoughts after I get it dialed in and shoot for a day or two.

Guest 556or762
I'm going to spend some time looking at quick release mounts. That could be a partial solution to my bulging safe problem. I doubt that I'll do it on my long range rifle.

I have the A.R.M.S. throw lever mounts on my .308 and have intentionally taken the scope off at the range then put it back on and it was dead on zero, I did it 3 times actually. I know ARMS claims guaranteed to return to zero and if the set I have is anything like the others they keep their word.

• 2 weeks later...