Patriot Act Extended

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both parties suck - if more people would wake up and stop worrying about the letters beside someone's name but rather vote on them based on their record, we could overhaul DC in short order...

Guest 6.8 AR

Very disappointing. More complicated than that, crimson, but it's the right idea. The powers that be

are pushing the country towards a revolution. This authoritarian crap has got to be somehow stopped.

The government can't provide security for the people. All they can do is tax us and try to control us. At

this point I think that's all they want. I don't want that security anyway. I'd rather have liberty any day

than this.

It's simple enough to make this point - anyone who voted for the Patriot Act voted against our civil liberties. You can rationalize it all day long, but anyone who voted to extend this WILL NOT get my vote ever again. We have to stop making excuses for these attacks on our inalienable rights.

Screw them all, I couldn't care less what party they're a part of.

I don't know of any Americans who were harmed by the Patriot Act.

Who had their Constitutional Rights violated? Who was jailed? Who was killed?

You can google as well as anyone (if you really don't know).

Perhaps violating 4A doesn't matter to you - maybe only death and detention do - but to some of us the Patriot Act is a blatant attack on our civil rights.

To whet your appetite (though I suspect based on your reply above it won't make a difference): Controversial invocations of the USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can google as well as anyone (if you really don't know).

Perhaps violating 4A doesn't matter to you - maybe only death and detention do - but to some of us the Patriot Act is a blatant attack on our civil rights.

To whet your appetite (though I suspect based on your reply above it won't make a difference): Controversial invocations of the USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is why no government should be given unlimited power over it's people.

I don't know of any Americans who were harmed by the Patriot Act.

Who had their Constitutional Rights violated? Who was jailed? Who was killed?

Who would absolutely know?

Part of the Patriot Act allows Gitmo type detention of US citizens.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I heard Obama was on vacation so the bill was signed with an auto signature machine. My guess is Obama will say in 2012 "I never signed that bill".

Wasn't this another "W" policy, one of many that BHO has continued to adopt and one he railed against during his election bid?

And weren't the libs all up in arms over everything that Bush did?

Strange, apparently everything is just hunky-dory with the left now.

Oh yeah, how long did it take Bush to respond to Katrina?

Sickening.

Guest 6.8 AR
It's simple enough to make this point - anyone who voted for the Patriot Act voted against our civil liberties. You can rationalize it all day long, but anyone who voted to extend this WILL NOT get my vote ever again. We have to stop making excuses for these attacks on our inalienable rights.

Screw them all, I couldn't care less what party they're a part of.

That's not what I meant. I agree with you. Our gov

might as well be at war with us, the respect they

show us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Drewsett

A man who will give up liberty for security deserves neither. I paraphrased some famous guy.

But seriously, the Patriot Act was a direct result of the rally round the flag mentality post-9/11. I'm no truther, but the increase in intrusions by our government into the private lives of its citizens post-9/11 certainly is suspicious. It may not have been a false-flag operation, but those in the government certainly had the "never waste a good crisis" mentality.

What will it take to show our Senators and representatives that we mean business? Rioting in the streets?

Both parties suck - if more people would wake up and stop worrying about the letters beside someone's name but rather vote on them based on their record, we could overhaul DC in short order...

It's not just the politicians. The general population is about 70% sheeple. We can't do ANYTHING about it as long as the majority want the gov to "keep them safe" at all costs.

Guest SUNTZU

From a more liberal minded friend of mine: "My presidential votes are inversely proportional to authorizations of Patriot Act provisions." It's nice to see that sentiment, but I had to ask him how many times ACORN let him vote last election. :death:

Guest Lester Weevils

It would seem difficult to get street riots from the gov reading email. Not saying its cool to read email. Just that it doesn't sound like an issue that would get many people out in the streets. Anyway, hardly anything good ever comes of riots.

Maybe if the gov outlawed video games and facebook-- That would get the youngsters out in the streets!

It's not just the gov. Apple is tracking everybody who owns an iPhone and Google is the ultimate keylogger for everybody who uses Google.

Who would absolutely know?

Part of the Patriot Act allows Gitmo type detention of US citizens.

- OS

Oh, THOSE people. What a relief - I thought they had been raptured! :death:

Edited by enfield
Guest Lester Weevils
Oh, THOSE people. What a relief - I thought they had been raptured! :D

Hi Enfield

Scoff if you want, but even paranoid people have enemies! :death:

Which part?

Section 802 of the First USA Patriot Act states that any violation of Federal or State law can result in the "enemy combatant" terrorist designation.

Once declared an "enemy combatant", SECTION 201 of the second Patriot Act makes it a criminal act for any member of the government or any citizen to release any information concerning the incarceration or whereabouts of detainees. It also states that law enforcement does not even have to tell the press who they have arrested and they never have to release the names.

If one part of the Patriot Act(s) aren't applicable, another part can be twisted to make it applicable.

Patriot Act is huge, 10 titles, beau coup subtitles. Much like Obama Care, probably not one member of Congress knows everything that's in it. By the time the press actually gets wind of something like Padilla situation, one could have been "detained" for gawd knows how long. Then a legal battle must be mounted to attempt to secure the supposed rights that have already been violated.

Remember Jose Padilla, held over a year with no charges filed. They didn't even have to trot out any of the Patriot Act for this one -- just twisted the 6th Amendment. Lawyer is not mandatory until charges are filed, so they simply didn't charge him, just held him.

Etc.

Give enough ambiguous language and clauses within clauses, like the Patriot Act does, and the gummit can simply act because they interpreted this to mean that, whatever. And there's no real payback if they are eventually overruled. By which time peoples lives are ruined, if not worse.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

Yes if you are arrested under the patriot act it is a crime to tell anybody details about your case because that is a security breach. So if US citizens have been arrested, then they would be in even deeper doo if they let anybody know about it. How would we know how many have been arrested?

The no-fly lists and terrorist watch lists are lists of "suspected persons". Not convicted persons. If a citizen happens to be on a list, then he can't definitively find out if he is on a list. It is much too secret for the gov to tell the citizen WHY he is on the list. That is, in cases when the gov even knows why a person is on a list. Apparently the gov doesn't even know why some folks are on the lists. It is out of the question for the gov to advise a citizen what to do to get off the list. Guilty until proven innocent. Double secret probation.

Then the authoritarian gingoist hardtail republican Peter King wants law to refuse gun sales to anybody who happens to be on the secret lists. If Herr King had his way, then if you get refused a gun sale you couldn't even find out why, and it would be a criminal security breach to try and correct the situation or advertise your situation.