More bang for your training bucks...Pack'N Heat

Today I took Pack'n Heat's Advanced Handgun Course by owner Jeff Eady. In case you don't know Jeff, he's a Training Officer and SWAT entry team member for Metro. I had a great time and it was a good way to keep my skills sharp, especially since I have no place to practice this type of stuff except IDPA matches.

It was held at the 50 yd range at TWRA range on Hobson Pk in Antioch, which was great for this type of class, b/c it is wide open. Best of all...the class was around 7 hours and it only cost $75, which I think is a pretty good bargain.

Aside from the usual safety info, he covered the defensive mindset, conflict resolution/avoidance and then a whole lot of AWESOME shooting drills. We practiced the fundamentals first, then lots of stuff like draw techniques, point shooting, shooting from different postitions, on the move, from cover, at odd angles, with verbal commands to make you think, and shoot/no shoot targets. The final drill mixed in all of the above.

I'd recommend the class to anyone.

Edited by BigK
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how often they have the classes, but he had them stacked pretty close together this spring and early summer.

Right now he's out of town doing some advanced training of his own for the PD. At the last class I was at, IIRC, he said he'd be gone for 3 months.

I'll shoot him an email and see if he responds...I'm ready to take another class too. I'll let you know what he says when I hear from him.

I was just telling my wife I was going to take his course. Glad you posted your exeperience.Jeff was my instructor for concealed carry class. Nice guy, lots of interesting stories.

Mine too. If you liked his style in the HCP class and enjoy shooting, you'll like this class.

Just noticed this thread and thought I would point out that Jeff Eady is not a training officer and SWAT member with Metro Nashville PD. He is probably with some other middle TN agency.

My mistake, perhaps. Last I knew, he was with the airport police at BNA, which I thought was a division of Metro. If I have gotten this part wrong, it's my bad - not his, I didn't realize they were not affiliated before I opened my big mouth. Sorry.

After doing some looking...I see that they are NOT affiliated in any way, but...the airport police are CALEA accredited, adhere to POST standards, are trained at the TN State Fire & Police Academy as well as the airport police academy.

Thumbs up to Jeff and his classes.

I think he can also conduct classes on the grounds of the Nashville Airport, depending on scheduling.

My class was scheduled there at first but was re-scheduled for the TWRA range.

Looking forward to attending more classes by Jeff.

Is there a difference?
It's a CW or HC rather permit. We can carry concealed correct?

Open carry and concealed carry are both legal, but concealed is not required as in some states. Tennessee issues a "Handgun Carry Permit". These items really should have been covered in your course.

Open carry and concealed carry are both legal, but concealed is not required as in some states. Tennessee issues a "Handgun Carry Permit". These items really should have been covered in your course.

They were. I just doubted what I remember, but that's what I thought. I'd still recommend Jeff. Great guy, and great class at half the price of anywhere else.

How did you sign up? I cant find any Advanced Handgun courses available on the web site. How often are these courses offered?

Got an email from Jeff, his next advanced class isn't until October. He said he'd email when he gets the date settled. He'll likely post it to his site as well, but I'll update here when he lets me know.

I think it'll prove to be worth the wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though he's the "competition"... and if you want a Handgun Carry Permit come see me.... ;) Jeff's a great guy, a decent fisherman, and a friend of mine. Although he's a relatively new Handgun Permit Instructor, he has all his fingers and toes still attached.... if you know what I mean. He does an excellent job with his training and Instruction and goes out of his way to make his students comfortable with the transferable knowledge at hand.

Right now he's in Texas getting his K-9 training. We refer the student that take our Handgun Permit Course and want that little extra training to Jeff. Its a great next step before going to something like gunsite, PRI, or a more advanced class.