AR-15 building

Okay, i've built a few AR's so far, but they've all been basic "tab A into slot B" builds. I'm starting another one now, it'll likely take me several months to afford it, but I'm venturing out of the box on this.

I'm going to do a really light weight weight build, pencil profile barrel. I was wondering if you could run a mid length free float tube over a carbine gas system? I know I'd have to use a gas block that would fit inside the tube. I like hogue's overmolded tube.

I'd like to run a mid length gas system but I can't find the super light profile in a chrome lined midlength. Of course I could just buy one and turn it down, but I don't think the benefits would outweigh the time it would take me turn it down and the expense of having it refinished.

Thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used rifle length free float tubes over carbine length gas systems without issue. You could also buy a dissipator style barrel and use it. They are 16" barrels with the 12" rifle gas system. The tube won't cover the gas block but you could at least get a lightweight barrel easily. You could also go with a carbine length gas system with a rifle length tube. There are plenty of lightweight carbine barrel choises out there.

Personally I like having the gas block covered. Makes for a cleaner looking gun. For any rails I might add I just drill and tap the tube itself once I have it installed. I can customize the location of the rails as well.

To save some money on a Hogue over molded tube do what I did. I bought this, installed it over a carbine length gas system then covered the free float tube with a length of bicycle inner tube. The inner tube comes in a universal size at Walmart for less than $4. It works just as good as a Hogue. If you want inner tube tackier just soak it in some transmission fluid for a day before installing.

Just a few ideas

Dolomite

Personally I like having the gas block covered. Makes for a cleaner looking gun.

Dolomite

This is EXACTLY my line of thinking. Thanks.

As far as the tube goes, unless you know of someone making green inner tubes, I guess I'll just have to spend the $$$.:)

Cool Troll, Mind posting some pic here when you get the upper together?

I thought about using a free float rail system, but I don't do "accessories" much. The hogue is clean and simple and if I need a BUIS out front it's still a simple matter.

I'm thinking seriously of doing this to my other AR's if this turns out to be good to go. I have a set of Delton and a set of Troy quad rails [not free float] on two of them and I hate 'em. square blocks, they're just NOT comfortable even with covers.

Okay, who makes an AR receiver with the absolute LEAST amount of text and markings. I mean bare legal minimum. Nodak makes one with "Low text" on the magwell, but I'd like a little less is possible.. Who makes one with just the manufacturer.serial number, caliber with as little size text as possible? No fancy logos or symbols. I'm sending this one out for engraving so I don't want someone else's crap taking up credit space.

Thanks

I do, and I won't.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I've been down that road, and to me, it ain't worth it. Some people do not put a lot of worth in their time. Me? I'd rather drop a c note and be done with it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Guest GunTroll
Cool Troll, Mind posting some pic here when you get the upper together?...

Not sure what happened there with your quote, but sure I'll post it.

Cool Troll, Mind posting some pic here when you get the upper together?...

Not sure what happened there with your quote, but sure I'll post it.

Insert a forward slash into the last "quote" [/quote[ <--- like that only turn the last thing around.

Internet discussions on building an AR have become so overdone to the point of monotony I suppose, but it's strange how hard some info is to find. Navigating barfcom is a joke.

I know unless you are playing the absolute top tier game, lower receivers are mostly the same. What about upper receivers? I'm actually going to build every last part on this next one. I have a flat top receiver, but there's nary a marking on it. I've only just begun collecting parts. I have an M16 carrier, new in the wrap on the way from a guy I trade with a lot. Since I have decided to cover my gas system with a longer tube, I can't fathom a reason to use a fancy gas block either. I'll just cut the triangle off a standard job, smooth it up on the bench grinder with a scotch brite wheel and give it a shot of high temp paint....out of sight once the tube is in place....out of mind. I said I didn't want to have to turn down a barrel to get the ultra light profile, but I may have to do just that. I thought about getting an Hbar and turning it to a light profile under the guard, then doing a finned look on the outside, reminiscent of WWII Japanese light machine guns. If it looks like poo, I can always set it back up and turn it down. No matter what you can bet if I do end up turning a barrel, I won't be doing a boring straight cut. It's hard to be original in this game though.

Paint it pastel pink and yellow. I'm willing to bet you'd be a first.

I'd take that bet. I've seen some wild colors some guys do for their daughters. I have no kids, but if we were to ever have a daughter I'd do that in heartbeat if it made her happy.

EGAD! What am I saying!!!!?!?!?!?!?! We don't want kids! God has an incredible sense of humor, I have to be careful of the things I say!

As far as uncluttered stripped AR lowers go both Tactical Innovations and Sabre Defense stripped lower have the bare minimum engraved on them require by the ATF. No logo's ,Just engraved lettering. I have used a few TI lowers and they have been of good quality. I'm still looking for a Sabre stripped lower for a Sabre upper I have. Many have told me they are of good quality also.

So educate me a bit here. I see dozens of posts on various forums about building your own AR. Why do you do it? I've got a Bushmaster that shoots every time and is very accurate. Is it a lot cheaper to build one, or do you do it just to have it exactly like you like it? I can understand a gun building project but I'm more of a shade tree gunsmith. I know just enough to really screw something up. Understand I'm not criticizing, I'd just like to know more about it. Thanks.

Cherokee Slim

It's not that it's cheaper to build one, although if you skimp on things you can build one pretty cheap. The reason is simple, if I can build or buy one at relatively the same cost, BUT for the same money, the one I built is EXACTLY the way I want it set up v/s the one bought that I'll just end up changing out a few parts to make it suit me.

My father in law always says "Well, if it don't cost but a nickel more to go first class, why ride in the back?"

So educate me a bit here. I see dozens of posts on various forums about building your own AR. Why do you do it? I've got a Bushmaster that shoots every time and is very accurate. Is it a lot cheaper to build one, or do you do it just to have it exactly like you like it? I can understand a gun building project but I'm more of a shade tree gunsmith. I know just enough to really screw something up. Understand I'm not criticizing, I'd just like to know more about it. Thanks.

Cherokee Slim

For me, its about building exactly what I want. And building an AR is child's play.

That's right.

Though technically speaking I could legally take a chunk of aluminum and whittle me out a receiver from scratch and the atf STILL wouldn't be involved provided barrel length, NO fun parts in the lower, and only a limited amount of foreign made parts are used [not an issue on AR's like it is on ak's]

...but yeah, all the AR's I own are †††CASTER††† assembled.:D and there's no paperwork [beyond buying a receiver] no red tape or HooDoo spells to cast. It's big boy Legos®