Common CZ Firearms Modifications and Improvements?

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

As soon as funds allow, I plan on picking up my new CZ 75 P07 Duty .40

and I'm wondering what modifications and improvements you can make to it?

Different grips? more/less tension on the trigger?

I've never had a handgun before, so I'm not sure exactly what all can be done to them to improve them, but I'm interested to hear what some of you handgun veterans have to say.

I do know I'd like have to the glow in the dark night sights added to it.

I plan on buying an IWB holster for it and a few extra magazines.

any other ideas/suggestions?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markwondi,

Did you do the CZ 75B mods you mentioned yourself?

I've had 5 CZs, changed the extreme recurve triggers out to a standard recurve on a couple but that was it.

I've always wanted to shoot a SAO CZ 75, but haven't had the chance yet. When I had CZs I assumed that to change to SAO the gun had to go back to CZ or Angus Hobdell or that other CZ expert whose name slips my mind at the moment.

Craig in Clarksville

I don't think there is any mods you can do to the P07. Polymer frame so no grip changes and the internals use the Omega system, which is better tuned from the factory, but not as workable as the 75.

Guest Lester Weevils
Markwondi,

Where did you find a CZ armorer?

But then if an armorer can do it I'll bet there is some drunken 21 yr old on You Tube that shows how it is done. Hmmm....'

Craig

Our member CK1 has reported on doing a lot of action work himself on his CZ.

Early this year I found websites and videos showing how to do the typical stuff, replacing triggers and hammers etc.

Replacing the trigger and hammer looked too scarey for me to attempt but maybe in the future I would get brave enoungh. I'm not real mechanically inclined.

I did manage to replace a CZ85C safety with the "single action" factory safety which is bigger and the safety lever sits lower on the pistol. That required a little bit of part-fitting and taking out a few tiny parts and springs. It wasn't a real techie procedure, but was happy when I got all the parts back in and the pistol still operated.

I use the CZ85C as a range toy, and my thumb was too short to get a good grip on the standard rounded double-action safety, so the bigger single-action safety was a big improvement.

Would like to have competition hammer and single action trigger, but don't like sending guns out for work, so might eventually just order one that-a-way from CZ Custom.

Angus is great.

I dry fire a ton to smooth out the action and gain familiarity/muscle memory. I cut a peice of surgical tube (clear plastic tube from Lowes) to keep the hammer from striking the pin. This messes with timing slightly, but should be fixable once more time is spent with live fire.

Guest WyattEarp
Keep us posted Wyatt. The CZ is on the top of my list.

I will definitely do. Waiting to start a new job, and then when I get some money rolling in, I can go pick it up. Very ready to pick it up and get some practice in at the range and do a few modifications.

CZ Custom has an excellent hammer replacement/trigger job that makes a huge difference. Highly reccomend!

hmmm, links?

You can get grips from Hakan, http://imageseek.com/hakan/

think I'll pass on those, and stick with the stock grips, didn't see anything that really seemed to appeal to me.

Our member CK1 has reported on doing a lot of action work himself on his CZ.

I have a gun that he traded on a newer model. He'd done a TON of good work on it. The trigger is WAY lighter and smoother than I thought a SA/DA could be and breaks unbelievably clean. The trigger reset is the most amazing thing, though. I swear it can't be more than 3 or 4 mm.

There's not much you can do to a P-07, though. You can do a little polishing on the sear/linkage and install a better hammer, but that's about it. No grip changes and little to no trigger work on the polymer frames.

On the bright side, you get a darn good gun out of the box for a decent price. Just expect to spend some time dry-firing to smooth out the trigger a little, but not as much is needed w/ that Omega trigger system.

Guest WyattEarp
Congrats on the P07 addition, I have the 9mm P07 and absolutely love it.

I haven't purchased it yet. glad to hear your like your 9mm version, though. I've heard a lot of good things about this model, read the reviews (which the writers raved about it durability, accuracy, and toughness) and handled the 9mm version at Guns and Leather and loved it. Can't wait till funds will allow me to go pick it up!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest WyattEarp
I don't think there is any mods you can do to the P07. Polymer frame so no grip changes and the internals use the Omega system, which is better tuned from the factory, but not as workable as the 75.

well after a little research I found out from another poster in this thread and CZ Custom's website, you can get

the fiber optic front sight installed

Supply & Install Fiber Optic Front Sight

and you can get a lighter trigger and lighter recoil spring installed as well.

CZ Custom Work

there's also rear sights you can get as well, but I'm not getting those.

I've also decided on a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB Holster, but I'm going to do a little combat cut mod to it

SuperTuck Deluxe | Crossbreed Holsters - Super Tuck Deluxe

Holsters for P07 Duty

Combat Cut How To

My Combat Cut w/pics and instructions - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB Holster Before the combat cut

sam0160g.jpg

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB Holster after the combat cut

sam0174a.jpg

sam0174a.jpg

Keep us posted Wyatt. The CZ is on the top of my list.

Went to the Outpost with a friend yesterday, all my talking about this CZ 75 P-07 Duty aroused his curiosity, so we went down there and he checked it out, seemed to like it, and has been doing a bit of research. He wants another gun in addition to his Glock, and he kinda liked the CZ 75 P-07, thought it felt good in his hand, but he wants me to get mine first and then wants to shoot it and try it out to see if he likes it or not before committing to buying one (like many others, he's never heard of CZ, so he's cautious).

I handled the 9mm version again (no one carries the .40 in stock for some reason, but Outpost said they could order it) and I just love the feel of it! Fits perfect, you get a good solid grip, and the gun feels solid.

I just have to find out if they can order it with the custom mods from CZ that I want or I'm going to actually have to send it back it in after I purchase it?

but I think I'm going to get the following mods straight from CZ Custom

the front fiber optic sights installed

lighter recoil spring

lighter trigger spring

and a friend's gonna do the night sight glow in the dark rear sight mod for me after I get it.

I will pickup a laser sight to add on to the front rail later down the road.

I'm getting a bit excited. only another 45-50 days before I go to order it! ;) Ready for September 1st!

• 1 month later...
Guest WyattEarp

I placed my order today from CZ-Custom.

no trigger mod available for the P-07, but I got the fiber optic front sight. Waiting on a confirmation. hope to have it in about 2 weeks. They order from CZ, it goes to CZ-Custom, then gets shipped to the Gun Shop of my choice via FFL and then I go there, do the background check and paperwork and pick her up.

CZ Custom has an excellent hammer replacement/trigger job that makes a huge difference. Highly reccomend!

well, not on the CZ 75 P-07. Rob @ CZ informed me today, that they can not do the trigger job on the P-07 Duty, due to the polymer frame and something about too much flexing.

I have a gun that he traded on a newer model. He'd done a TON of good work on it. The trigger is WAY lighter and smoother than I thought a SA/DA could be and breaks unbelievably clean. The trigger reset is the most amazing thing, though. I swear it can't be more than 3 or 4 mm.

There's not much you can do to a P-07, though. You can do a little polishing on the sear/linkage and install a better hammer, but that's about it. No grip changes and little to no trigger work on the polymer frames.

On the bright side, you get a darn good gun out of the box for a decent price. Just expect to spend some time dry-firing to smooth out the trigger a little, but not as much is needed w/ that Omega trigger system.

unfortunately. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest WyattEarp

I placed my order August 30th, and I still don't have a notification that it has been shipped. I was told 2 weeks, but we are at week 3 now.

Didn't realize this model was so popular, because apparently they have been having trouble filling orders. I will continue to wait, because I really want this specific model and caliber, but damn...I wish they'd step it up a bit!

I placed my order for my crossbreed supertuck iwb on the same day, and was told 4-6 weeks, and it arrived on monday.

i tried it on just to see how it felt, but I felt like a dork wearing it and not having any firearm to put in the holster. however i am quite surprised at the comfort level and the quality of craftsmanship on this holster. i just hope the kydex doesn't ever melt on me if I have to leave it in my car in the summer.

here's to hoping it shows up soon.

The CZ shop is SLOW on some mods -- but I honestly think this is a "get it right the first time" issue. We ordered a very customized kadet in july and it is "almost ready" whatever that means. I also ordered a simple mod to a rami, basic SA mod and left handed mag release, and it arrives today or tomorrow, about 4 weeks for this one. The kadet had to be ordered (they do not stock the .22 or were out of them) and late in the process they had me mail them our red dot sight so they could fit it better -- so there were some delays due to that and some of the things they are doing are for the first time as they get few orders for custom 22s. All in all, though I would love to have had the gun sooner, they have communicated well and I get a good vibe that its going to be awesome when they finish. Just go into it expecting a long wait and if they get to it faster you get a nice bonus.

Guest WyattEarp
Drew...I could have ordered that for you. Glad you're finally getting a weapon.

I ordered direct from CZ-Custom, because no one around here had the .40 in stock, and they were on backorder. Plus I didn't want to order from a gun shop, and then have to send it back to CZ Custom and pay shipping costs both ways, and wait, it was just easier for me to order from CZ-Custom, that way it goes from CZ to CZ-Custom, then to the FFL of my choosing, for me to pick up.

They are just backed up on orders right now, but I'm hoping soon. I'd like to get out to the range and get some practice in.

thanks Jon!

Guest WyattEarp

called CZ today to find out the status of my order, and it has arrived at CZ-Customs and is getting the fiber optic front sight installed, should ship out to the FFL of my choosing next week, so with any luck I'll have it the end of the next week! :)

Well I got mine but there is an issue. I am now the proud owner of a RAMI with a RIGHT HANDER safety lever and a LEFT HANDER mag release! I was assured by the CZ custom guy that the RAMI had an ambi safety... sigh... it does NOT. Trying to get some feedback from them on that issue. The trigger and mag release were great, it just needs that ambi or LH fixed. Not sure what happened here, hopefully its something simple that they can mail me a part to install or such.