Nice S&W K frame

graycrait

Although I have another thread that has this revolver in it as "The Perfect Pair" along with a G19, I have to tell you about this S&W 10-6. First off this is not a factory nickel job, but thank the gun gods for whoever had this thing nickeled. Factory S&W nickel jobs normally have a "N" stamped on the cylinder near the extractor star and/or on the frame's grip. This one does not. The nickel is cloudy in spots but it is firmly attached to gun inside and out.

Although not perfect this S&W is a perfectly and precise actioning S&W k-frame and I have had 15 or so over the years, not counting J & N frames. I bought this after seeing it for sale on this forum a few weeks ago, having had it in my hands by the original Clarksville owner some months ago, but dismissing it in my earlier haste. When I took the side plate off and looked at this gun's innards I knew I had a good one once I actioned it again. Nearly new, yet so smooth and crisp in action throughout.

I really enjoy shooting a DA revolver in DA only, as "god" and Ed McGivern intended. This one is extraordinary. On the other hand in single action it is simply sublime. If you are a handgun enthusiast and have not practiced shooting a DA revolver in DA only I suggest you do so. Yes, continuous capacity in a revolver is limited vs the pistol but a good shooting DA revolver shot in DA can be more accurate than some of the best pistols when shot at self defense speeds.

I am a lucky man. I plan to "cheese" this one up with faux pearl or ivory grips in a nice basketweave or floral pancake holster:

SW1064inchNickel.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ae-35

I'm a big fan of the K- frame in all it's forms, like the N's, so smooth, ( but without the weight ), colt and ruger tried but never were able to knock off Smith. They neither one could get the total package of reliability, smooth trigger and finish of the Smith's. Colt had the smoother trigger and better finish, but kept the Police armorer's employed keeping them in time. Ruger had the reliabilty, but not the trigger or finish. A man with a K-frame Smith in 38spl. , who nows how it use it can DSCF3857.jpgdo some good work.

Beautiful 10 there graycrait. I've bought several older SW revolvers in the last year and they are great! Smooth action and good triggers. I'm rapidly remembering why I always had a k-frame in the range bag every time I went out shooting.

Model 10's, 15's, 64/65/66 are all great. And of course that leads into the 686 series. You just really can't have enough of the SW line.

I own or have owned more than my fair share of S&W revolvers, the K Frame has alway's been my favorite set up. In answer to the trigger shoe question, it is used to create a wider trigger surface for the shooter much as does a factory installed wide trigger. They have a lot of pro's and con's but I've alway's felt they worked best with a single action pull instead of a double action.

I have the 1951 Military and Police (pre-Model 10) below. It was a retirement present for a retiring detective Lieutenant. I bought it,in the box, just recently. I put the Faux ivory grips on it (I still have the originals put aside!) It is factory nickeled, with "N" on frame underneath crane.

I am a big Film Noir fan and this is the true snubbie of those 1950s films.

8E4FCEAE608E40C684E4C7593A36310A-0000317266-0002390103-00500L-C50375B5C0724E26B3BE31F241B8C9D3.jpg

wjh2657

You have a gorgeous piece of machinery and much more useful than mine in its snubbie version. However, I can "abuse" mine, while yours deserves good care.

Craig

It is strictly a "dress" piece. It will probably end up in a display case or box. For everyday carry, my 642 is much more practical.

My father in-law gave us a 1970 model 10 that had been drug around all over this country and looked like hell with a trigger pull that felt around 20 pounds. All I did to it was give it a good cleaning and that thing is probably the sweetest shooting most accurate gun I have. I also have a K38 and I love shooting both of these, classic firearms for sure.

BigK the M-15 Combat Masterpiece is an outstanding handgun, it and the Model 10 are the bread and butter law enforcement gun's S&W once offered and well worth owning.

Thanks for rubbing my nose in my big ol' pile of regret/stupidity! LOL

I hate to admit that I passed on it over a mere $300.

Thanks for rubbing my nose in my big ol' pile of regret/stupidity! LOL

I hate to admit that I passed on it over a mere $300.

Where did you see this? I've been looking for a shooter Model 15 to go with my other C/M in 22 mag.

Where did you see this? I've been looking for a shooter Model 15 to go with my other C/M in 22 mag.

I saw it at a private sale table at last week's gun show in Murfreesboro. it had spot on the frame where some jacka$$ had tried to remove a little rust using navel jelly. The bluing was gone in that spot and they tried to hide the bare spot w/ a black Sharpie. Totally fixable, otherwise in good shape.

Guest Ae-35

BigK, ...next time ! Here's a 64-3, trigger rebound spring, and slide, replaced, ( trigger stuck back 1 out of 5 pulls ), replaced extractor rod, ( bent ), added .002 shim, ( too much end-shake ), and put on an pair of old target grips, ( had laying around ) . Paid 50 bucks for gun,...... parts, ( less grips ) including shipping 52 bucks, total $ 102.00. Cleaned, replaced parts, 1.5 hr. Results..... well worth it.DSCF3856.jpg

Thanks to the OP, I just realized that I only have these two K frames among my many J, L, and N frame S&Ws.

I promise to correct that error in the future. :)

10-6 Heavy Barrel "The .38 Military & Police" 1971 Build

2dhfcer.jpg

19-3 "The .357 Combat Magnum" 1975 Build.

24e89xu.jpg

Craig,

So kind of you to call me a Serious Collector...., but I'm more of a Dedicated Accumulator of firearms.

I'm also a huge fan of "worn-in but not worn-out" firearms. All of mine are shooters!

Here is a pic of my Daughter firing the 19-3.

2v0zl77.jpg