Help me help my wife with her aim

Last year I got my wife to come to the range with me. I wanted her to know how to use the guns in the house. At that point she was ambivilent about guns. They were OK for me, but she didn't really care.

Well after shooting through a magazine, she turned around with a big ol' grin and said could we look for a gun for her on the way out. She was hooked. :D

She wanted a gun she could eventually carry, and is going to take the permit class in a few months. She thought my XD-9 was a bit too much for her to handle, so we tried a few other smaller caliber guns. She eventually decided that she liked the Bersa .380, so we got her one.

She started off as expected, hitting some targets, missing others. However after several months, she has not really gotten better. We went to the range a few weeks ago, and she was so frustrated that she said she was going to quit.

Shooting has become one thing that we really enjoy doing together, and one of the few hobbies that we share. I would just hate it if she stopped doing it.

So here's the thing. She jerks the gun down, I mean way down, when she shoots. Probably two feet down from the bullseye at 10 yards out. I know she is anticipating the bang. I've told her that she needs to try and let the bang be a surprise. She says she doesn't know how to do that. I can't really explain it to her without frustrating her even more.

I have a .22 Ruger pistol and she does kind of OK with that, but still jerks it some. I've thought about using just that pistol with her the next time we go out. See if we can work on the basics.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to have better aim. I think she would benefit from re-learning all the basics too, like grip, stance, breathing, as well as anticipating the bang. Links to other sites that she could read on her own would be really great too.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tjbert47

I find that dry fire (not the rim-fire) gun helps most of my students that have trouble with that. Dry fire the (center fire) gun holding it on target at all times. Do that over and over. The next visit to the range do the dry fire exercise before starting. That should help.

Tom in TN

Tell her she looks like she's gaining weight, I'm sure her aim will improve dramatically! :D

(just kidding)

It sounds like she needs to practice dry-firing, and getting used to holding the firearm on-target during the trigger pull. That will improve her performance at the range.

Guest Phantom6

She is breaking her wrist in anticipation of the recoil. Dry practice would go a long way in helping her get over this but you are right, starting with the fundamentals is the place to begin correction. Have her take our NRA Basic Pistol Class. Besides concentrating on the fundamentals of shooting she can also get her carry permit. We hold 'em on the second Saturday of each month. The next class is on the 8th (Saturday) from 8 AM- 5 PM. Y'all get the TGO 10% discount too. :D

If you are interested just zip off an email to info@firearmsclasses.com . Mention this thread and we'll get her set up for great comprehensive firearms training that is safe, complete and fun – IN THAT ORDER .

Edited by Phantom6

I usually hit mine in the head with something:D, but that may not work for you.

The sandbag idea is a good one. Don't let the bang be a surprise, don't anticipate it. Let her rapid fire a few mags. in the .22. Teach her that she controls the gun, be confident with it. Don't hold it with a death grip, (like my wife does to my throat in the middle of the night) firmly, but not till it's eyes bug out (that hurts!). Sounds a little like she's anticipating the recoil and doesn't quite know how to absorb it. I hope this helps, You'll get plenty of good info. here.

Edited by NuTcAsE
Have her take our NRA Basic Pistol Class. Besides concentrating on the fundimentals of shooting she can also get her carry permit. We hold 'em on the second Saturday of each month. The next class is on the 8th from 8 AM- 5 PM.

Phantom, she is probably going to take your class soon, and you teaching the NRA Basic Pistol with it is one reason.

I have a question for you though. I took your class last November (remember the "night class"), and I thought I remeber you saying you allowed people to retake the class. When she comes, can I just sit in with her?

No need to shoot at 10 yds either. Start at about 7 ft so she can get shots on target and build her confidence. That and dry firing should help. Also, try having her greatly exaggerate the trigger squeeze, rather than just jerking the trigger.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Load her magazines for her and occasionally put a snap cap in there. This will help make her more aware of the problem. Combining that along with a good bit of dry firing should help tremendously.

You also may want to see if she does better with a different grip. She could try keeping her index finger on the front of the trigger guard. Also, make sure she is "pushing" the gun with her right hand and "pulling" the gun with her left. That may help to reduce some of the recoil she is having trouble with.

Also, putting a red dot scope (to make aiming easier and allowing her to focus more on gun control) on the 22 and then working on a nice smoth and slow trigger pull may help with the larger calibers.

If she is losing interest with shooting and is discouraged over poor ability to hit the target...buy her a 22lr or 9mm rifle and slap a decent scope on the thing. She should be able to put all the bullets into tight groups and it may help bring some of the "fun" back.

Guest Boomhower

Ya know, I've not heard anyone mention snap caps. Load a few snap caps up with the live ammo and give it to her to shoot. She won't know when the dead round is chamber'd and after a few magazine's of that, it may help break the antipaction.....O and be sure in one of those magazine's to stack 2 snap caps on top of each other.....Then watch the reaction ;)....It's amazing how your mind plays tricks on you.

A laser sight and some snap caps. The laser will give her a visual reference to where she's actually aiming when the trigger breaks. I usually use a laser sight on my dad's Sig Mosquito when this kind of thing crops up, rather than my XD though.

+1 on the snap caps. It also teaches failure mode!

The issue is I have never seen 380 snap caps but then I wasn't looking for them. Probably out there. If not, load some dummy rounds or have someone load them and paint them blue

Edited by Rightwinger
spelling
Guest EasilyObsessed
+1 on the snap caps. It also teaches failure mode!

The issue is I have never seen 380 snap caps but then I wasn't looking for them. Probably out there. If not, load some dummy rounds or have someone load them and paint them blue

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=786010&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=611338&t=11082005

If she's never shot a handgun of any kind much, maybe you should buy her a CO2 pellet pistol and let her get good with that first. That will allow her to build confidence, then move her up to the .22, then the .380 and then a S&W 500 Magnum... well maybe not the 500 Magnum.

Guest Phantom6
Phantom, she is probably going to take your class soon, and you teaching the NRA Basic Pistol with it is one reason.

I have a question for you though. I took your class last November (remember the "night class"), and I thought I remeber you saying you allowed people to retake the class. When she comes, can I just sit in with her?

Yes, I knew that you had taken the class though I couldn't remember which one and you are correct regarding the auditing of classes. Any student may return and audit any class that they have already taken at any time. Come on down. ;)

Guest Killthewabbit

Have her place her feet one behind and off to the side of the other and constantly remind her to lean forward. This will help with the recoil felt.