Just picked up my first SA

ls3_kid

Picked it up from Bill's Outpost off Kingston today. Ruger Vaquero .44 Special can't wait to shoot it! My only plans are to change the grips to Ivory simulation. Thanks to everybody with the input in my other thread.

RugerVaqueroSide.jpg

RugerVaqueroFront.jpg

RugerVaqueroBack.jpg

RugerVaquero44Special.jpg

Edited by ls3_kid
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 special has a serious cult following. If you don't handload, get into it and DON'T try to make the 44 special into something it's not. It's probably one of the most under appreciated rounds out there. Excellent, Excellent choice, just be careful....they're habit forming.

44 special has a serious cult following. If you don't handload, get into it and DON'T try to make the 44 special into something it's not. It's probably one of the most under appreciated rounds out there. Excellent, Excellent choice, just be careful....they're habit forming.

My friends tell me I need to hand load now (never done it I, need to do some research) and I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded.

Well, I'm not insinuating that you would, but there are those who try to push the special hard in a feeble attempt to play catch up to the 44 magnum. What's sad in all this is that they are cheated out of what the 44 special really is and I hope you enjoy what it really is....one of the sweetest shooting pistols you'll ever fire.

Let me put it to you this way: One of Hamilton Bowen's specialties is building custom 44 special Rugers. If you don't know Hamilton Bowen, he's arguably the finest pistolsmith to ever walk the earth. His pistols go in the thousands...and thousands.

I have a Ruger blackhawk in 45 Long Colt, I would absolutely love to have a Vaquero like yours. I've shot a few, and I have to say, that 44 special is an absolute joy to shoot.

Well, I'm not insinuating that you would, but there are those who try to push the special hard in a feeble attempt to play catch up to the 44 magnum. What's sad in all this is that they are cheated out of what the 44 special really is and I hope you enjoy what it really is....one of the sweetest shooting pistols you'll ever fire.

Let me put it to you this way: One of Hamilton Bowen's specialties is building custom 44 special Rugers. If you don't know Hamilton Bowen, he's arguably the finest pistolsmith to ever walk the earth. His pistols go in the thousands...and thousands.

I have a Ruger blackhawk in 45 Long Colt, I would absolutely love to have a Vaquero like yours. I've shot a few, and I have to say, that 44 special is an absolute joy to shoot.

Gahhh! You're making me want to go shoot it so bad but I won't be able to until next week (wednesday). I'm headed to my girlfriend's lake house for the 4th and they hate guns. I might bring it to sneak off with her brother so we can shoot his new toy KRISS Vector SDP

I will have to check out ole Hamilton to see what he is about!

Edit: Just checked out his webpage and wow. Just wow.

Edited by ls3_kid

I will have to check out ole Hamilton to see what he is about!

Edit: Just checked out his webpage and wow. Just wow.

If you're into corvettes as your avatar shows, then you can appreciate Hamilton Bowen the same way. You have to pay to play that game.

If you're into corvettes as your avatar shows, then you can appreciate Hamilton Bowen the same way. You have to pay to play that game.

Yes sir "Pay to play and play to win". Now, thanks to you Caster, my wish list just got that much longer. :D

I need to research hand loading or find somebody around Knoxville to teach me. I am also going to see how much i spend within the first few months. This may be far fetched but what would the price comparison be compared to store bough ammo, say per bullet or per 50?

I thought you were talking about the .44 Special in your earler thread, glad to see I was right, you'll love this gun. As to handloading, start out with a good turret press, add equipment as you need it and then determine if you need something else. For the money and ease of use I'd go with the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press Lee Precision: 4 Hole Classic Turret Press. Lee die's are good and the Lee Powder measure work's pretty well. I mostly use a Dillon 550B or RCBS Rockchucker but also use the Lee Classic Cast turret press as well.