Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

I've seen 3 memorable ones anyway.

1) The Brave One, with Jody Foster. This is basically a remake of the old Charles Bronson Death Wish, jazzed up for the 21st century. It has a couple of good scenes and lines, like when she goes to the gun shop in Greenwich Village (itself a joke--there is one gun dealer left in NYC, on Staten Island). Overall it dragged and became increasingly unbelievable. If you can watch it for free or a dollar or something it's worth it. Or if you own a Kahr K9, which is the featured gun in the movie.

2) 3:10 To Yuma, the new version with Russell Crowe. This was a rec by Dr BoomBoom. It was pretty good with lots of little twists and turns in the plot you wouldnt expect. I'd like to see the original with Glen Ford to compare. I found the ending sort of sucked and wasnt well prepared for.

3) Walk On Water. This is an Israeli film (mostly in English) about a Mossad agent tracking down a Nazi war criminal through interaction with his family. For us, an American Jewish family with a strong German identity, the film had everything, including dialogue in both Hebrew and German. But even so the situation is interesting, the scenary very good, and raises a lot of interesting issues, especially when the agent finally encounters the Nazi, who is now over 90 and infirm. Got it from the library. Highly recommended.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest readyornot

I highly recommend the "Bucket List" with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. Also saw "Vantage Point" with Dennis Quiad this past weekend. It was pretty good too.

Guest EasilyObsessed

I just watched the "Assasination of Jesse James..." and it was pretty disappointing.

"3:10 to Yuma" is near the top of my Netflix queue...may have to bump it to the top.

Not exactly a new movie, but "Shooter" is worth watching.

"Peaceful Warrior" is another one I enjoyed that I watched recently.

Guest darkstar
There Will Be Blood was excellent. Daniel Day Lewis earned his Oscar, and the soundtrack was the best that I've heard since Gladiator

Absolutely correct, fantastic movie. The guy that did the music throughout the film is Jonny Greenwood, he is in the band Radiohead

The last movie I went to the theatre to see (drive-in, actually) was Jumper.

I hated it. Alot.

Before that, I think the last ones I saw were I Am Legend and AVP Requiem, which were both decent... I'd watch them again. I haven't had a chance to go see many of the movies I've really wanted to... such as Rambo.

2) 3:10 To Yuma, the new version with Russell Crowe. This was a rec by Dr BoomBoom. It was pretty good with lots of little twists and turns in the plot you wouldnt expect. I'd like to see the original with Glen Ford to compare. I found the ending sort of sucked and wasnt well prepared for.

I saw this one, too... and agree, I thought the first 2/3 of the movie was well done, but the ending could have been improved.

Well I think the ending to 3:10 was to stay true to the original. In my opinion the Armored Coach Holdup at the beginning is one of the best parts. RAMBO is actually AWESOME. Best action movie I have seen in quite some time. It was as much a pleasant surprise as Rocky Balboa was. Stallone has redeemed himself. If your looking for a good DVD rental Mr. Brooks is an EXCELLENT movie. Twists, turns, and dark humor. Stay away from Chaos and War unless your only paying $1 on the Redbox (the greatest thing since sliced bread). Jason Statham needs someone to pick his films better.

the remake of 3:10 to Yuma is pretty good but the ending sucked the big one. Rabbi you would probably enjoy the original, I highly recommend it as one of the best Westerns ever made. I am not sure there is an actor who could ever hold a candle to Glenn Ford acting as a good or bad guy in a western. In the original 3:10 to Yuma you get to see both sides of him.

I recently picked up a widescreen version of True Grit. An awesome movie, highly recommend it. Robert Duvall is great in it and has the best line in the entire movie I think. It is also one of the Duke's best jobs ever.

I agree that the Assasination of Jesse James was not too good. Got a little long in the middle, it would have been hard to sit through it in a theater.

Somehow mny wife came home with a copy of I am Legend on DVD. It is pretty good, was not expecting it to have zombies in it. I would have like the ending to have been different though.

And I finally got a widescreen copy of Blazing Saddles. If you just came out from under a rock or have never seen it, IMHO the best comedy ever. If I could only own five movies to spend the rest of time watching it might be my first pick.

No Country For Old Men is a great movie, the last three minutes I was :usa:. But definitely great to rent or get on demand.

The book by McCarthy was really good so I am not surprised the movie is also. Book was very visual and McCarthy is some kind of gun guy because there are appropriate references all over. A lot better than his first book about a necrophiliac.

I saw True Grit when it first came out and loved it then.

Guest SUNTZU

I just finished reading THE ROAD. I thought it was a great read, as well.

The girl in True Grit has a very annoying voice in my opinion, but it is a great movie otherwise.

I liked 300 but didnt think it was quite as "epic" as oh say Gladiator was. The Road was a great read. I just finished it this past weekend. Im kinda too scared to read any of Cormacs other books as I have seen some of the blurbs. Kinda sounds like the David Lynch of Books lol (seen Wild at Heart lately???). Again...cant stress this enough...if you want to see a GREAT action movie (I dont mean academy award, just gung-ho, kick-A$$, makes you want to shoot something after you see it action) go see Rambo it really is that cool.

Again...cant stress this enough...if you want to see a GREAT action movie (I dont mean academy award, just gung-ho, kick-A$$, makes you want to shoot something after you see it action) go see Rambo it really is that cool.

absolutely 100% agreed. if you want to see just what a .50cal can do, you need to see this movie(Rambo). both in sniper rifle form and vehicle-mounted machine gun form.

shooter was a great movie also i thought even though it isnt new.

Guest dotsun

I catch all my movies on ppv. I'm too cheap and lazy to go to the real deal. So it'll be like 6 months or so until i get to see Rambo. :usa:

Guest bulletproof

I watched Cloverfield last week. For me there was just too much hysterics and I didn't think it was very realistic of what a small group of people would do in a situation like that. Oh wait, it WAS New York. Never mind. The story is also told from the perspective of a hand held video cam.

I've got a copy of Hitman I've been trying to watch for about a week. I've seen about the first 20 mins of it and looks really good.