Turret Presses - opinions

I've been wanting to upgrade to a turret press from a single stage. I've been reading the reviews on the RCBS, Redding, and Lyman presses, but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions.

I think the Redding is out, since it is only right handed. I'm right handed but I use my left on my single stage, so I want the option to switch if needed.

I have concerns about the Lyman T-Mag because reviews say it has a little bit of play in the turret causing inconsistent OAL.

I only reload handgun cartridges at the moment. I also plan to continue priming separately.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I assume my Lee dies and shell holders will fit any press. Correct?

Thanks!

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
forgot something
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TackleberryTom

Why haven't you looked at the Lee turret presses? They are great. Left or right handed, they definitely will use Lee dies and shell holders, they are very well priced, very durable and get great reviews. I would look them up. I own and use heavily a few different Lee presses and love them all.

I have used a Lee turret since 1992. I just bought a Dillon 550 2 weeks ago just so I could increase production. The only problem I have had was I had to replace the nylon auto advance piece, takes about 1 min. and .30 cents. They can be set up to load left or right hand. They have quick change tool heads so you don't have to adjust your dies once set up. I find them hard to beat. The the Lyman, RCBS and Reddings are heavier built but again the Lee's seem to be built heavy enough. It's hard to argue with 20 years and still going strong.

I also have the lee turret, only had it a year but I got the steel framed one and its been great. Overall, turrets are nice for making pistol ammo, and not too bad for rifles. Rifles are odd because you take the brass off to trim it after sizing, and taking it off the press to trim means a single stage operation for the first part of the process (bulk size, bulk trim, now you can turret). The 3 things that make the turret awesome are: 1) the turrets. Swapping calibers takes only a moment to set up my powder device and I am done, as my dies remain in the turrets which can be hot swapped. 2) The automatic powder device. If using a turret and a funnel / dipper setup, it would be much, much slower and the speed gains from the turret press would be lost. 3) The ability to make just a few rounds here and there. Since working ammo is produced one by one (as opposed to making 50 primed cases, then 50 powdered cases, then 50 uncrimped rounds, then 50 finished rounds...) you can sit down for 10 min here, 10 min there and produce a few rounds here and there, they add up without burnout. I made 100 rounds of 45 this weekend just making a few between other chores.

I think the Redding is out, since it is only right handed. I'm right handed but I use my left on my single stage, so I want the option to switch if needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I assume my Lee dies and shell holders will fit any press. Correct?

Thanks!

I exclusively use my Redding T-7 left handed.

The handle is

front & center,
.....NOT.

Now that I look at it again, it is ~2" right of center. Still operate as described - I sit on the right hand side of it, pull the handle and switch cases, insert projectiles with the left. When starting to seat a projectile, use the back of your left forearm to nudge the ram up, then follow through in one motion for the downstroke of the handle. I use my right hand to grab the next cartridge & projectile, pre-stage by holding the case & projectile together with my left fingertips. It's easy and fast.

Yes, the Lee dies will fit any 7/8-14 press. I use Lees for my universal de-capper and factory crimps, and have a set of spare Lee shellholders for when I use two presses.

Edited by R_Bert

I have the RCBS turret. I acuallty went from the Lee to the RCBS. I didn't have any problems with the Lee except the Auto disk powder measure that I had ( had 3 one for each caliber I loaded) leaked out small ball powder that I used like AA#2 & AA#5.

I was moving my set up from the shop to the house (I hate condensation) so I had to do something different.

I went with the RCBS over the Lyman Mainly because of the RCBS warranty! I went with the little dandy measure & it works great after you but enough rotors at $13 each. ;)

The RCBS turret does have some play in the turret head with the up stroke of the ram but it does not change the OAL.

You have your dies adjusted with the ram all the way up then take out the slack when adjusting the dies.

Guest Larry

Consider this: If you plan to keep on shooting and increase it, get a Dillion 550 0r 650 and be done with it, I promise you will not be sorry later. It will drastically increase your production and has a lifetime warranty. For what you are thinking on spending it will put a big dent in the Dillions price.

Consider this: If you plan to keep on shooting and increase it, get a Dillion 550 0r 650 and be done with it, I promise you will not be sorry later. It will drastically increase your production and has a lifetime warranty. For what you are thinking on spending it will put a big dent in the Dillions price.

Hard not to agree with this. After 20 years loading on a Lee turret I too have switched to a Dillon 550. Can achieve much higher production if that is what you need.

I currently use a Lee Turret Press. I really like it. It does what I need it to do in a reasonable amount of time. If you are going to be loading large amounts of ammo or just have the extra money on hand to spend, you really can't go wrong with a Dillon. I worked a side job at a gun store a few years ago and they had a Dillon set up in the shop that we could use. It was simply fantastic. For my needs, though, I spent the $100 on the Lee press instead of $500 on a Dillon. I may upgrade at some point, but my current needs simply don't justify the cost of the Dillon.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate your thoughts!

I have a Lee Pro 1000 set up specifically for 9mm, so I'm not looking for a Dillon (yet). That's what I shoot the most of.

The turret seemed like it would speed up some of the other calibers that I shoot instead of using a single stage.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate your thoughts!

I have a Lee Pro 1000 set up specifically for 9mm, so I'm not looking for a Dillon (yet). That's what I shoot the most of.

The turret seemed like it would speed up some of the other calibers that I shoot instead of using a single stage.

Turret presses do speed up the process. If I hand primed my cases beforehand, I could get close to 200 rounds an hour on my LEE if I was really working at it.

Turret presses do speed up the process. If I hand primed my cases beforehand, I could get close to 200 rounds an hour on my LEE if I was really working at it.

Exactly what I do too. After de-capping, cleaning, and priming I can get quite a rhythm going. I timed myself once and over a 10 minute stretch I was able to charge, seat, and crimp 60 rounds in 10 minutes. Not that I could hold that pace, but there's no way I could do more than 40 if I had to de-prime and prime also.

Priming the cases on the press and being a paranoid noob who looks inside each case to ensure it has powder, I manage 50 in 15 min on the average for simple pistol ammo. That is 200 / hour without the pre-primed cases, though I cannot sit that long or sustain that pace, so its a box here and a box there which probably lets me go faster (fresh and all that, after 30 min I think I would have slowed way down). Some rounds take longer than others for whatever reasons. I currently do 380, makarov, 9mm, 40, 44, 45, 223, 30-30, and 7.65. The bulk of that is 45, 223, and 9mm, the rest are just a box here and there. I dunno if anyone said it but a turret can be used as a single stage, you can remove the auto index rod on the lee to do that and I suppose the others are the same.

you can start with a lee but in the end youll wish you spent your money on a

better press....Lee is very slow,lots of extra pulls with your arm (4x as many ) and

needs lots of cleaning and set ups repeatedly....

I bought a 550B and wish I bought a 650......but I do reuse my Lee powder hopper on my Dillon because of the disc system IMO is the best and easiest to track and repeat and keep records of formulas....I can be up and running on my

550 in 2 pulls and spot check my rounds every 50 or so and they always come up on the money

A Dillon press is undeniably faster. I can't argue that, but...

I got set up with every pc of equipment I needed (including digital scales and digital calipers) plus primers, powder, and 1000 bullets all for under $400. That was all I could afford up front and I don't regret buying my Lee turret press.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend, how much time you have to load, & how many bullets you need.

Yes I'm like the guys that are saying "bite the bullet & buy a Dillon". I would love to have one. The thing is for me & some of the other guys that have Turret presses are compleatly satisfied with what we have. It is cheaper to start with & for me loading 100rds a day for 5 days gives me 500rds. I have plenty for the weekend. ;)

I'm not in my loading room no more than 30 to 45 min. a day & most of that is piddling around.

I have like I said a RCBS turret press with little dandy measure, a rockchucker press, a pardner press, Uniflow measure, Lyman 450 lubesizer , Rcbs lube II. Also have a RCBS promelt that I gave $40 for .:drama:

Now I have about $500 in all that & have all the bullets I can shoot & still have plenty stocked!