Accidental discharge while checking gun at airport

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justluck

As per another poster on TGO: "You can't fix stupid". Where do these people come from??

Second item: Don't Glocks have a loaded chamber indicator??

Edited by justluck
What do Glocks had to do with a hunting rifle incident? If it's an actual question then the answer is yes.

Post #5, I missed it the first time reading through this thread as well.

It sucks that people can not read the directions about safe firearm transportation and unload their rifles before they get to the airport. To bad you cant fix stupid. This is not the first time this has happened though.

ksl.com - Skycap injured in accidental shooting

I just flew with a gun about a month ago and I triple-checked my Glock before entering the airport. No way I was going to be the 1 idiot who would screw up. I'm flying again on Wednesday and I'll probably check it 5 times just to be safe :usa:

I just cannot recreate in my mind the series of mistakes required to make this happen. Have to load the gun, point it unsafely, and mash the trigger, all while in an airport and supposedly securing the gun for a safe ride. This is after securing the gun to ride TO the airport which means unloading it (mostly to prevent discharge in a car accident, since it MUST be pointed unsafely in most vehicles, usually transported flat facing traffc in one direction or another...!). Its probably been loaded since his last hunt or range trip, however long that was, possibly transported multiple times loaded (at least twice, once from the last time he shot and once to the airport). /facepalm -- because words are not enough.

From the article update:

As former Louisiana chapter president of Safari Club International, a member of the Louisiana Wildlife Federation and a national board member of Ducks Unlimited Inc., Edward "E.J." Deubler of Harvey impressed friends as one of the most active hunters in the state -- and one of the most safety-conscious.

All it takes in one second of inattention...

Guest Kamikaze

Just a thought. I don't travel by air ever but if I was going to be travailing that way I think it would make sense to field strip the gun and store it that way. Anyone else? I know it seems stupid to have an "AD" at anytime, but if you really wanted to make sure then what better way than rendering the gun inoperable? It takes literally 5 seconds to field strip any of my handguns, xd's, sigs, Taurus, and so on. Of course if you are inattentive enough to leave a round in the chamber you will probably shoot yourself when you take it down anyway. At least then it's in the comfort and privacy of your own home...... Just a thought.

Just a thought. I don't travel by air ever but if I was going to be travailing that way I think it would make sense to field strip the gun and store it that way. Anyone else? I know it seems stupid to have an "AD" at anytime, but if you really wanted to make sure then what better way than rendering the gun inoperable? It takes literally 5 seconds to field strip any of my handguns, xd's, sigs, Taurus, and so on. Of course if you are inattentive enough to leave a round in the chamber you will probably shoot yourself when you take it down anyway. At least then it's in the comfort and privacy of your own home...... Just a thought.
I travel with the action open on any gun that is not my carry piece which is on my person, sometimes with a range flag. With it open and obviously not loaded, I feel safe enough, full strip isnt necessary though the airport folks do like things fully stripped (bad joke). Not all guns are a 2 second strip but many are, bolt actions its easy to pull the bolt, lot of semis you can pull the slide off, etc. Then there are your ruger marks or other guns that are not so much fun to break down...

I was watching that video from utah and not that it matters, but check out about the 50 sec mark. Looks like an XD-SC to me. I just hate that all semi-auto pistols are Glocks to the media. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would also field strip a pistol such as a Glock or XD if I was flying as well before I got to the airport.