Traveling to new york city

Guest Gfrk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see NYC before I die. Life ain't all about carrying a gun.

You should. I have been there several times, and I think everyone should experience it once. There were two things I didn't really like about NYC. The last time I was there was for the 2006 US Open at Winged Foot, and I stayed with my brother who lives on Long Island. I did not like all of the commuting. It is very time consuming. If you are staying in the city however, then that really isn't an issue.

The second thing I did not like is driving in the city. That absolutely sucked, mainly because I didn't know how to drive there. When I first started driving in the city, I drove as I do here, very courteously. That was a mistake. Finally after 20 minutes of people cutting me off etc... I started driving offensively. Sure I got a lot of horn honks and fingers, but I got to where I needed to go.

Outside of those two issues, I found it to be a neat experience. As far as safety goes, I didn't feel unsafe at anytime I was in Manhatten or on Long Island. I don't think NYC is near as bad as what some think or say it is. A lot of people who talk about how dangerous it is have never been there. I would feel a lot safer in NYC than I would in several areas in TN.

If you do get to go, I would definitely recommend taking cabs. Depending on your driver, they can definitely be an exhilarating experience. The cabbie I got on several occasions would have been the Pakistani equivalent of Jeff Gordon.

Guest boatme99

Just a little more negative info for you-while in NJ & NY if you are stopped for any traffic infraction there is a possibility of your vehicle being searched. If you are legally carrying guns, they will at the least be confiscated "to be returned later". The chance of you ever seeing your weapon again is pretty much zero. At worst, you will be "detained" and have your weapon confiscated. Either way, you're going to spend lots of extra time in the state. And lots of money! Is this legal? No. Does it happen? YES! I used to have to drive through both states twice a year going back and forth to New England for work. This B.S. does happen.

I don't know why you're going to NYC, but I'd rethink the trip. There's nothing in NYC you can't find somewhere else, except New Yorkers.

I don't know why you're going to NYC, but I'd rethink the trip. There's nothing in NYC you can't find somewhere else, except New Yorkers.

-Empire state building

-Statue of liberty

-Bodies exhibit

-Maddam Tasauds Wax Museum (sp?)

-Get to see my mom for the first time in awhile...

Im a cynical *******, but jees

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Not true. New York is a very unique place. There's a TON of stuff there that you wont see anywhere else.

Guest boatme99
-Empire state building

A tall building. Dallas, Phoenix, Miami, and even Nashville have 'em. And you can carry to all three.

-Statue of liberty

OK, I'll give you this one.

-Bodies exhibit

Again, Nashville at 2:00 AM. Carry permited

-Maddam Tasauds Wax Museum (sp?)

Wax museum in St. Augustine, Fl. Carry permitted. Bonus! Lot's of New Yorkers hanging out there.

-Get to see my mom for the first time in awhile...

Won't she come visit you? You can carry at home.

Im a cynical *******, but jees

BTW, my mom is from New Yawk, my dad's from 'Joisey,I owned a house at the shore, and until 2 years ago, I travelled through both by boat and car twice a year for 15 years, so I have been there. A lot!

Bring 'em on!

Oh, and why does every coastal state have a beach, but in Jersey they have "The Shore"?

Edited by boatme99

we went there acouple of years ago. we went to see the statue of liberty. i set the scanner off because i had a small lock blade knife .i pulled it out of my pocket and layed it down on the counter. the woman grabs it ,holds it in the air and starts shouting knife 3-4 times. 3 big cops grabed me and gave me a search.then wanted to know why i had it.i told them i just got out of the army and never went any where without one. they keep the knife and told me i was lucky that they did not take me to jail.i told then that they would not want to see what i kept on me when i was at home.they can keep that place. it was like a dump .people were rude and most would not even talk to you.

No large city is safe unless you pick the neighborhoods you visit. Even Nashville has areas that almost guarantee trouble if you visit them. In 30 Years in Marine Corps I visited almost every major city in the U.S. There are areas that are heavily patrolled and are "safer" than other areas in every city.

NYC: Times square area

Chicago: the" Loop."

San Francisco: the Embarcadero

New Orleans: pass

Los Angeles: pass

There are others,but you get the idea. This isn't something new, even in Rome and other ancient cities you had to pick your paths carefully. I felt safer in NYC than I did in New Orleans. When I visit Louisiana I go to Baton Rouge (Love Cajun food!)

Edited by wjh2657
just moved back to TN from a 6 year stint in Corrupticut. IF you are from out of state,You DO NOT want to get caught with a gun in NY,NJ,CT,MA,or RI !!!!!

You will regret it for the rest of your life,I promise!

Guess it's a good thing I didn't get caught in Ma with my 945 years ago. Before my HCP, I carried for protection in my van, well had to do a job in Ma so it went too. Only after I returned and learned some of the gun laws did I find out how bad I could have been screwed.

Guess it's a good thing I didn't get caught in Ma with my 945 years ago. Before my HCP, I carried for protection in my van, well had to do a job in Ma so it went too. Only after I returned and learned some of the gun laws did I find out how bad I could have been screwed.

It's amazing how many permit holders in CT were too lazy to get one and just took the risk. No permit,they will hang you out to dry.

Just got back... Was an amazing trip and got to see so much. Besides the cops being pretty much unable to speak correctly and lacking most common sense... And the dumb ass people who populate the area... It was awesome!

The sites we saw were beautiful and I would definitely go back again.

The only thing I didn't like, is feeling like everyone there has lost their mind and went mentally retarded. As I said, even the cops lacked all common sense. Witnessed a police officer yelling at a car to keep moving through the intersection even though there were pedestrians clearly in front of him. On top of that, there were people fighting off to the side and he didn't even notice.

I then asked a police officer a question, they proceed to tell me to 'ax' someone else.

Learn to speak...

They actually give these people guns? I felt safer in the ghetto and back alleys, than with the police

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Just got back... Was an amazing trip and got to see so much. Besides the cops being pretty much unable to speak correctly and lacking most common sense... And the dumb ass people who populate the area... It was awesome!

The sites we saw were beautiful and I would definitely go back again.

The only thing I didn't like, is feeling like everyone there has lost their mind and went mentally retarded. As I said, even the cops lacked all common sense. Witnessed a police officer yelling at a car to keep moving through the intersection even though there were pedestrians clearly in front of him. On top of that, there were people fighting off to the side and he didn't even notice.

I then asked a police officer a question, they proceed to tell me to 'ax' someone else.

Learn to speak...

They actually give these people guns? I felt safer in the ghetto and back alleys, than with the police

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

They ARE nuts!

Hope you didn't drink the water while you were there! LOL