Maverick 88 vs. Mossberg 500

Guest ScottD

Guest ScottD

I'm looking to get an HD shotgun. I've narrowed it down between these two. I realize these are both essentially the same gun, but I'm wondering what the major differences are, as well as the quality difference between the two. Which one would you guys recommend?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two thoughts:

1) Benelli Nova Pump HD is the way to go IMHO, but since your are set:

2) Go 500 over Maverick. Maverick is Mossy's low-end sell 'em at WalMart/Academy line. You get a bit sturdier mechanism with a 500 for not much more bucks. I've got a Mossy 535 (same as 500 except takes the big shells) and have never had an issue.

In the end, both would be fine choices for an HD shotty, but the 500 will probably last a bit longer.

Guest J.D.D

I have a Maverick that i have had sinse around 1992 with out any problems. It has a pistol grip with a 18in barrel. Got it for home protection. Always fired any brand of ammo i have tried.

If i was buying one to do a lot of hunting and shooting i would go for the Mossburg but i got it for keeping at home only. Works fine for that!

The Maverick has a cross-bolt safety behind the trigger guard. The 500 has the slider safety on the top rear of the receiver. Otherwise, they're pretty similar. The Maverick is the cheap house-brand shotgun from Mossberg. If you want to put toys on it at some point, you want the 500 instead. The Maverick can use M500 barrels, but I don't think it can use stocks and other accessories.

Personally, I prefer the 870 Express, but the Mossberg 500 is a good choice as well.

I had a Mav 88 and only sold it cuz I desperately needed the money, and knew I could buy another one later down the road for not much money. I actually only lost about $20 on the gun, and I bought it new!

Anyways, I highly recommend it. Sure, the plastic bits are cheap and the action may not be buttery smooth, but it never malfed on me through over 900 rounds of various birdshot, buckshot, and slugs, both standard and magnum. Pay twice as much for the 500 if you want the bells and whistles. I am not knocking the 500 at all... If I had enough extra money, I'd have one too. At this point, I would be very happy with another Maverick 88, and would not feel undergunned vs. the 500.

I think one of the only other differences (used to be, anyways), other than those mentioned, is that the '88 only has one action bar on one side of the gun, attached to the pump... but the 500 has an action bar on both sides. Makes the action a bit more rugged and smoother to operate.

The safety thing is a big decider(for me anyway) for a HD gun.The saftey is in plane view and slides foward,and back.The 88 like said is behind the trigger,and on the Remington,the position is the same as the 500 only it slides left,and right.All are good guns that will do you right,but it was the safety that made the decision for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mjwehrman

Never fired a Mav 88 but i do own the 18" pistolgrip 500 Breacher. Excellent weapon. Fired hundreds of shells through it of various types and never had a problem. I really like the safety location because its easy for my wife to operate. I plan on a folding but stock with shell holder and a tac-light. mostly just for looks but i figure i didn't pay much for the gun NIB so I can drop a little $$ in it.

I have owned them all, still have the 590 & 500

IN MY OPINION.....

590 - THE mil spec pump shotgun, used by the Military all over the world

870 - ALMOST mil spec and lots of goodies to go along with it, stocks sights optics yadayada, overpriced and not as comfortable to big guys as 590

500 - Same as 590 with aluminum reciever

88 - single action bar, if not abused, no issues

CONCLUSION:

If your going globe hunting, looking for terrorists and insurgents, the 590

If your going out in your Bob Timberlakes to shoot paper, maybe the shoot house at a high priced range, the 870

If your going outside in the field behind your house full of cockleburrs and briars, shooting milk jugs and beer cans, the 500

if it is going to stay behind the closet door until it is time to "interact socially with uninvited guests", the 88

MY opinion, hope no intended harm in the making of this post

Guest lan2i

I have the 88 and it is great for defending the home and for hunting believe it or not. Used the 22 inch barrel and put the turkey choke on and shot two toms last turkey season. Its worked great for me so far

• 1 year later...

I don't want to cast aspersion on Remington 870. I've handled several and they are really fine weapons.I try to keep to one basic platform for each type of weapon, hence Mossberg for shotguns/S&W Revolvers for Carry guns (w/ G23 exception.) I do this because 30 years in USMC (part as an armorer) has made me obssessive-compulsive about cleaning, inspection (LTI) and maintenance. I buy the books, special tools and the AGI dvds for each gun and maintain them fastidiously. Sticking to the same platform means I need only learn one set of schematics and dissassembly/assembly procedures for each type. I also have to stock only one set of spare internal parts (springs, etc) for each type.

If I had started with Remington, I would have all Remington shotguns, but I started with Mossberg!

Edited by wjh2657
spelling
Guest trarebel13

i've had my Mav 88 for 2 years now, bought from walmart for about $160, i put anywhere from 50 to 100 rounds through it about every sunday afternoon shootin clays and have had 0 problems with it. I run a bore snake through it and rem-oil it every time i shoot it and break it down and clean it real good once a month.

never owned the 500, but i love my 88.

* will a mossberg 500 6 position stock fit the maverick 88?

Guest SureShot308

If you get an old 88 the forends aren't compatable with the 500. so if you want to use the side saddle shell carrier on it you have to cut back the forend or find one that doesn't overlap the reciever. Other than that everything should be the same between the two. I don't know about the new 88 though.