Dept of Safety contacting Washington and Maine about reciprocity

The short story is after some contact with my State Rep and his office contacting the Commissioner of Safety's office, they are going to be contacting Washington and Maine about reciprocity and/or honoring TN permits.

For the long story see below.

Most of the states that do not honor TN permits do not honor ANY other state's permits. However Washington and Maine do honor some other state's permits.

I contacted the Washington Attorney General's office sometime in 2008 (can't find original message) about why TN permits weren't honored. I received a written response in the mail that it was because TN did not have a way to do a computer record check of those hospitalized for a mental illness. Well in 2009 HB2249 establishing a means for an applicants disqualifying mental heath issues to be checked. (See Public Chapter 578 http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/106/pub/pc0578.pdf) was passed and had an effective date of Jan 1, 2010 In Oct 2009 I asked them if this would allow them to honor TN permits. They responded with that they would review the law. But I have never heard anything back. I had try to contact the TN Dept of Safety Commissioner's office myself without much luck.

Well finally I thought I would contact my Rep who has been very helpful in the past. I was curious how often the DOS contacted states about reciprocity and the reasons why (if any) states gave for not honoring TN permits. Never did get direct specific answers to those questions other than "regularly" and that the last time Maine was contacted that TN law wasn't compatible.

So not knowing how long ago that was and that Maine does honor 6 other state's permits now, whose law seem pretty close to TN's, thought it would be worth checking with them again.

On Washington their website said they had questions about some of TN laws and were waiting for a response, according to the DOS they sent the law above to Washington, but never heard back. But now they are supposed to be recontacting them.

So maybe with a little luck TN permits will be good in Washington and Maine soon...and Wisconsin with their new law.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fallguy,

You have inspired me. I just emailed the Mississippi Attorney General’s office regarding Mississippi HB 506 and Tennessee HCP holders; specifically, if we are allowed to carry in the additional locations allowed by HB 506. I will let you guys know if I hear anything from them.

Well I just hate when I feel like I'm being ignored by Government Officals....and I was getting that feeling from the Commissioner's office. Even though the law says he "shall" contact other states, it doesn't really set out any time frame or how often etc... I just feel very few in Nashville really care about this...even if they are "supportive" they aren't active so to speak. So just thought I'd stir the pot a bit.

I am luck to have a good State Rep who is a strong 2A supporter and doesn't mind trying to get me answers when I have questions. It was his office that submitted several questions to the AG for an opinion a few years ago.

Now it is entirely possible that neither state will honor TN permits...but at least we'll know they've been asked.....

Fallguy,

You have inspired me. I just emailed the Mississippi Attorney General’s office regarding Mississippi HB 506 and Tennessee HCP holders; specifically, if we are allowed to carry in the additional locations allowed by HB 506. I will let you guys know if I hear anything from them.

Good deal....:)

I recently applied for a non-residnt permit in another state as I would like to have the option to carry in Washington. While I don't expect to see it happen, there should be natiowide recipocity of a state's carry permit.

way to go Fallguy! Even though I'm moving I still appreciate your efforts. I'm trying to figure out why Florida does not reciprocate with MN. I have a lot of family in Mn I would like to go visit. Too bad I can't keep my TN permit when I move to Florida.

way to go Fallguy! Even though I'm moving I still appreciate your efforts. I'm trying to figure out why Florida does not reciprocate with MN. I have a lot of family in Mn I would like to go visit. Too bad I can't keep my TN permit when I move to Florida.

Handgunlaw.us would suggest that the MN permit is not recognized in FL. Also, the FL out-of-state resident issue has not done them any favors on reciprocity.

Can always contact MN and ask them why, then go from there. I mean it seems like they are the only state (besides those that don't honor any) that doesn't honor FL. Could be some little technical reason that if pushed could be resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a response from Washington today.

THEY WILL HONOR TN PERMITS!!!!

Not 100% sure when it will be offical. Below is a copy of what I got.

RE: Reciprocity of Concealed Pistol License

Dear Mr. Fall:

Thank you for your letter updating us on Tennessee’s current firearms statutes. After reviewing them along with Washington’s concealed pistol law statutes we have decided Washington will allow reciprocity with Tennessee. We are sending a letter to that effect to the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security.

When Tennessee concealed pistol licensees are in Washington they must carry their handguns in compliance with the laws of Washington State while in Washington. Additionally, if a licensee becomes a resident of Washington, he/she would need to apply for a Washington concealed pistol

license.

We will place Tennessee on the publication of states that meet our requirements. Our publication of reciprocal states can be found at Concealed Weapon Reciprocity.

Sincerely,

SUSAN L. PIERINI

Assistant Attorney General

Firearms & Reciprocity Lead Counsel

Guest Victor9er
I got a response from Washington today.

THEY WILL HONOR TN PERMITS!!!!

Not 100% sure when it will be offical. Below is a copy of what I got.

[/font][/size][/font]

Proof that one man can still make a difference.... Way to go!

:eek:

Besides going through my Rep to press the Dept of Safety I had been in contact with Washington myself. I was planning on checking with my Rep's office Monday for a follow up so I sent a copy of the e-mail (attached PDF on letterhead) to my Rep. Depending on what they say about Maine I may contact them directly as well. From reading Maine's law it is the Head of the State Police that makes the decision there. His e-mail address is on their page.

One down (WA), one coming (WI) and one more to go (ME) and TN permits will be honored in every state that honors other state's permits!!!