10 years after concealed weapons law, unclear why many in state [MI] were gun-shy

A story from Detroit Michigan in which everyone asks, what was the big deal? The sky did not fall down and there was no blood in the streets when Michigan became a 'shall issue' state.

10 years after concealed weapons law, unclear why many in state were gun-shy | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

There is a really good graphic that shows gun registration percentages county by county. I'd sure like to see one of those for Tennessee.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Unclear why many in state were gun-shy?" That's easy. People are generally misinformed and the anti-gun lobby does a good job of pushing BS on people who don't know any better. This is the same story in state after state, pro-gun law after pro-gun law. Before the law is passed, the anti-gunners predict carnage, bloodshed, and random gun battles in the streets over parking spots and car accidents. The law passes and the anti-gunners talk about how the gun lobby has corrupted the political system and kids are going to die. Then... nothing bad happens and people act surprised. It's the same story time and again, yet the public can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that law-abiding gun owners are not the problem and criminals who will use guns will do so regardless of what laws are in place. Why people are so naive to believe that a law will somehow magically get law-breakers to do the right thing is beyond me.

***EDIT:

I typed the above before I read the actual article, and it looks like I was quoting the article. GAWD these anti-gun people are so predictable! ;)

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Something funny I just want to point out. Notice that all articles that are about carrying a firearm ALWAYS show someone open carrying. Notice how many people actually open carry in reality. I understand that a picture of someone conceal carrying doesn't make a great photo, but it's funny when you actually think about it.

i rarely bother reading anti gun stories.

As stated above the argument never changes, and it is never backed up by fact. Purely emotional arguments.

+1

You just really can't have a discussion and use facts with someone coming from an emotional view point.

I'm still waiting for the daily shootouts in the restaurants.

About 6 months after the restaurant carry bill became law (the second time), and after Gail Kerr wrote her article predicting bar killings and blood in the streets in the Tennessean, I sent her an email asking why she thought those crimes had not materialized.

I never got a reply.

Guest Boomhower
There is a really good graphic that shows gun registration percentages county by county. I'd sure like to see one of those for Tennessee.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves on this point! The reason they have those percentages is because you cant own a gun in MI without being put in the state database. You have to apply for a "license to purchase" beforehand and then go to the local sheriff PD and fill out a sales record. This also applies if you move and take up residency in MI......Go here & read the "Pistol Registration, Purchase, and Transfer for Michigan Residents" section if you have any interest in reading (MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs)

I'm all for steering in the opposite direction here in TN!!!

Boomhower,

You are right. I misspoke.

It's not a gun REGISTRATION graphic, which would be the numbers on an evil law.

It's the numbers of Handgun Carry Permits graphic, (and just the numbers). I'd like to see the facts on that for Tennessee by county. I think the state already collects the numbers, I'd just like to see it graphically represented.

I'm thinking in excess of 4 percent of Tennesseans have HCP -- which I think is a high number compared with other states -- I'd like it to get to 5 or even 10 percent!

Edited by QuietDan
Handgun Carry Permit vice Concealed Carry Permit
Boomhower,

You are right. I misspoke.

It's not a gun REGISTRATION graphic, which would be the numbers on an evil law.

It's the numbers of Concealed Carry permits graphic, (and just the numbers). I'd like to see the facts on that for Tennessee by county. I think the state already collects the numbers, I'd just like to see it graphically represented.

I'm thinking in excess of 4 percent of Tennesseans have HCP -- which I think is a high number compared with other states -- I'd like it to get to 5 or even 10 percent!

Not exactly what you are looking for, but close Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit 2011 County Statistics

Guest rsgillmd

Using the link Fallguy provided and a Google search for Population of Tennessee gives an approximate value (number of active permits in January 2011 vs population in April 2010 -- not perfect but close enough) of 4.85%. I'd say that was an excellent guess QuietDan

Guest rsgillmd

Pennsylvania, Florida, and Texas beat us in pure numbers of permits if you follow the link (on the page that Fallguy linked to) to compare numbers with other states.

i rarely bother reading anti gun stories.

As stated above the argument never changes, and it is never backed up by fact. Purely emotional arguments.

Well come on now, we need to be fair.

It just isn't fair to admonish the anti-gun folks for not using facts because the facts are that they don't have any facts to back up their ridiculous claims. :lol: