Who is the go to AK smith around Nashville?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh we have jokes i see. was funny though lol

Yeah, I figured Urse would come around and kick my A$$ for that one!

If I ever found an AK when I had money I would probably buy one. There's just never any money and to many ARs.

Have fun with your project.

I just bought a Bulgarian parts kit and now I just need to get a flat or a whole receiver. I know to keep them seperated and all. So...Im trying to get it done before the elections are done. Who knows what'll happen then. Thats what Im tellin the woman atleast. Excuses, excuses. hehe

hAving been there I can tell you that if you want to build one AK, forget it. It isnt an AR. You'll need a press and riveting stuff to do it right and by the time you buy all that junk it will have been cheaper just to buy the darn thing already assembled (I have a Bulgarian in stock btw).

If you want to build several over time then it makes sense.

lol I just sent off for a NoDakSpud receiver. Im trying to build the short version, not the longer 16'' barrel one. I have to send 200 for that to BATF&E so Krinkov project will happen eventually. I'll have to find someone to borrow a rivet gun. In high school (long time ago) I riveted some aluminum in Aircraft Mechanics, so that shouldn't be a problem. The press will be the biggest issue I think.

Which Bulgarian do you have in your shop?

Guest Todd@CIS
hAving been there I can tell you that if you want to build one AK, forget it. It isnt an AR. You'll need a press and riveting stuff to do it right and by the time you buy all that junk it will have been cheaper just to buy the darn thing already assembled (I have a Bulgarian in stock btw).

If you want to build several over time then it makes sense.

+1

My thoughts exactly.

But your desires may be different. Good luck.

There is no "go to" AK smith around Nashville. I have thought about building my own Kalshnicopies but I just can't see myself doing anything more involved than a SAIGA conversion. Unlike an AR(which is basically an erector set) you need several specialized tools and jigs and gauges to insure a quality Kalashnikov build. I am waiting for a tax stamp myself and will be turning my Arsenal 107CR into an SBR AK 104 clone. However, I am having Chris Butler at AKUSA do the actual work. I am extremely anal about quality(and yes I am talking about AK's) and that is why I leave the building up to qualified smiths. If I built my own it would take forever to finish one gun! All that said if you are mechanically inclined and have the time and spare cash then more power to you. I need a local AK smith. The DIY forums at AK forum.net and AKfiles.com have tons of information.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

There is also a AK manufacturer that specializes in Krinks that is located east of Knoxville. He could be a valuable contact:http://www.inrangec2.com/

Oh and the Bulgy at Eastside is a SSR-85 built on a Armory USA receiver. Thumbhole stock and the barrel is not threaded. I can't remember whether or not it has the scope rail but I think it does. It is a well built rifle. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I spoke via mail to inrange and they are not taking any more builds right now. But I did find someone at the gunshow today and it sounds promising. He is a member on our forums and I will not mention any names unless he says it is ok of course. Ty for all your help and info fellas. Ill keep you guys posted.

I wish I could fine someone local who has flats or 100% receivers in stock... I have 2 AK47 kits in the shop and 2 AK74 kits that will be in shortly - and I'd like to start building at least one of them.

My plan is to do a weld-build first, then maybe a screw build - since I have the tools and skills to handle those unlike a rivet build.

Then again - I'm new to this, so I am sure there is a learning curve as a work things out...

Well, I decided to take things into my own hands - and with the help of a friend's new CNC plasma table I started trying to get the dimentions right to cut my own flats.

We'll see how ugly this gets :)

ak47plateblank_001.jpg

Alright you guys got me thinking and I just ordered 2 kits one AMD-65 and the other a polish underfolder. I am going to go with nodakspud receivers. Oh well, I guess we'll see how this turns out!

Edited by Urse

That's the spirit! I picked up two superbly conditioned AK74 kits as well this week - and have several AKBuilder flats on their way to me for those and the AK47's (mainly so I can double check my own flats).

My first is gonna be an AK47 weld build, then I might try a screw kit on one. I'm not worried about authenticity - so rivets mean nothing to me.

Besides, I think a weld build AK with a smoothed and polished receiver would be sexy :tinfoil:

This should be fun :D:D:D

I considered NoDak receivers, but it seems everyone around here wants to charge almost as much for the FFL transfer as the receiver costs... it's not like it's a lot of work - and I'd gladly buy them local if ANYONE carried them.

Besides - I like cheap - and flats are CHEAP :rolleyes: