Guest 6.8 AR

Wow! Good story. I doubt most would react that way, but it does show that

training for a situation, even though you can't train for everything helps

cover your ass.

I'd hate to think what would happen at my house, but I imagine if I heard

glass break or something else there would probably be shots fired. I need to

work on that with my family.

Thanks for posting this.

That is a great story, but did it really happen or did someone make it up? You can never tell on the Internet but my spider senses tell me it's a hoax and I am right 50% of the time :) ...I keep a weapon next to my bed and a shotgun handy.

My plan if that were to happen is the "Bedroom Bunker" scenario. Clearing a house alone, is for heroes.

Guest smileyguy

If this is true, this reiterates my belief that clearing a home is a terrible idea. Even a "former French Special Forces Operator" admittedly suffered tunnel vision and failed to clear a corner. Luckily the second perp was outside. Otherwise it may have been bye bye former French SFO! Home invasions often have more than two perps. A home invasion in Knoxville a couple of years back involved 5 offenders. I'm arrogant in believing that I'm better trained than most common thugs, but I'm not so arrogant to believe that I could get the drop on 2, 3, 4, or even 5 crooks.

Cops and military have luxuries that most home owners don't have, body armor and more importantly a partner or maybe even a team covering their 6's. I agree with Will, a defensible safe room (bedroom bunker) is by far the safest bet. Me in the open vs multiple armed thugs, me = dead. Me defending the door of my safe room, thugs get cut down like the Persians at Thermopylae.

Not telling anyone what to do. Just my 2cents.

Guest 6.8 AR

If that were the case, it's probably my time to go and I would go down

fighting. I am under no illusions and wouldn't give up to thugs, but I would try

to make sure they wouldn't make witnesses. The older I get, the less patient

I am with this kind of stuff. I can't afford a safe room, although it's a good idea.

I'm the Fred Sanford in the nice neighborhood, so I believe the thugs would pick

one of the nicer blueblood homes in the area. They just go after my cars, why,

I don't know.

If that were the case, it's probably my time to go and I would go down

fighting. I am under no illusions and wouldn't give up to thugs, but I would try

to make sure they wouldn't make witnesses. The older I get, the less patient

I am with this kind of stuff. I can't afford a safe room, although it's a good idea.

I'm the Fred Sanford in the nice neighborhood, so I believe the thugs would pick

one of the nicer blueblood homes in the area. They just go after my cars, why,

I don't know.

You just need a sign in your front yard that says LIBERALS, with a big red arrow that points next door.

Guest smileyguy
I can't afford a safe room, although it's a good idea.

By safe room, I basically mean a room of your choosing in which the family knows to gather, usually the master bedroom "bedroom bunker". No expense needed. Just a gun or two of your choice, extra ammo, and planning.

The "safe room" or "bedroom bunker" presents a near impenetrable defense. Attacking forces trying to enter a very narrow passage, e.g. 300 Spartans killing tens of thousands of Persians at the pass in Thermopylae. Same priniciple. I doubt a few thugs could enter my bedroom facing an onslaught of 00 buck and 357mag concentrated on a narrow doorway.

Guest smileyguy
You just need a sign in your front yard that says LIBERALS, with a big red arrow that points next door.

lol...Best idea I've heard all day.

The .357 ain't just for narrow doorways. It will go through sheetrock too. I can shoot the wall of my bedroom closet and send a round down the hallway. We don't have kids living with us so I don't have to worry about anything outside the bedroom.

I agree with pretty much everything else said here and will add my own criticism of the article. That wasn't a home invasion. It was a burglary. Those are two very different things. A home invasion is a dynamic assault by attackers on a residence they know is occupied with intent to overwhelm the victims by show of force and surprise. This is a part of my pet peeve that people don't know the difference between a burglary and a robbery, but I digress...

Assuming it's a factual story I would imagine he posted in english for greater exposure. Most euros are multi lingual. French was the official language of England for 300years a lot of people in France can read/speak or write in english, german or italian with moderate fluency. A SF operative would probably had additional training.

via EPIC4G SRF1.1.0 by Android Creative Syndicate

I agree with pretty much everything else said here and will add my own criticism of the article. That wasn't a home invasion. It was a burglary. Those are two very different things. A home invasion is a dynamic assault by attackers on a residence they know is occupied with intent to overwhelm the victims by show of force and surprise. This is a part of my pet peeve that people don't know the difference between a burglary and a robbery, but I digress...

When someone's in your house uninvited it's semantics. The difference between burglary, robbery, and home invasion only matters on the police report. They all look the same on the coroner's report.

Just curious as to why a Frenchman would post his experience in English and not in his native language...

The article did say it was sent via e-mail to him. Assuming the recipient doesn't speak French, English would be a logical choice. :rolleyes:

Guest 6.8 AR

I hadn't thought of that! Good idea. My liberal

super lawyer duo neighbors would fit the bill.

Trouble is, I'd have to point signs all around

me. All my immediate neighbors are liberals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't thought of that! Good idea. My liberal

super lawyer duo neighbors would fit the bill.

Trouble is, I'd have to point signs all around

me. All my immediate neighbors are liberals.

Better stock up on granola bars. You'll wind up feeding and protecting all of them when the SHTF. Then again, maybe you won't :-)

Guest 6.8 AR

I doubt I'll be feeding that bunch. They don't

even know how to say "thank you". Let them

hug some of my trees.

I doubt I'll be feeding that bunch. They don't

even know how to say "thank you". Let them

hug some of my trees.

I figure they'll need to when the 6.8's start flying. Hope they're smart enough to hug them from the right direction.

Guest 73challenger

So wouldn't him owning a pistol be illegal in France? I have no clue about French law but from what little I know about European gun laws I wonder if he could own a pistol.

• 2 months later...

Lots of interesting answers here, to the situation. My old man gave me some interesting advice years ago, it was" guns are to kill with---if you have to shoot someone, kill them. Dead people don't sue you." He was a career army sergeant and saw a lot of action in the pacific in WW2 and Korea with the 2d Inf. Div.

Guest bkelm18
I didn't realize the French were allowed to own handguns. Maybe because he is ex special forces?

France actually has better gun laws than most of the others in Europe. They can own handguns, but there is a process of course but from what I've heard it's not impossible. According to Wiki, France is #12 in the world as far as gun ownership.

France actually has better gun laws than most of the others in Europe. They can own handguns, but there is a process of course but from what I've heard it's not impossible. According to Wiki, France is #12 in the world as far as gun ownership.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Lots of interesting answers here, to the situation. My old man gave me some interesting advice years ago, it was" guns are to kill with---if you have to shoot someone, kill them. Dead people don't sue you." He was a career army sergeant and saw a lot of action in the pacific in WW2 and Korea with the 2d Inf. Div.

Yes, but the families of dead people do.