A Gun Guy's Multi-tool the MUT

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's got a lot of neat features, but at $180, I think I'll just keep my Wave.

Why in the world would you pay $180.00? NEVER pay suggested retail for a multi tool or production knife I just bought one for $97.00 and it is the EOD model as I am an electronics technician at work

Edited by willis68
  • Admin Team

Let me know how you like this thing, Steve. I've been looking at it for a while with interest, but just have trouble these days getting behind a Leatherman product.

I can't think of a knife maker that I go back to more often, but in which I am constantly being disappointed. I have broken more Leathermans over the years than I can remember (with the exception of a Wave).

I really wish they would get away from using cheaper "cast" parts from inferior metal on pieces that aren't the blade. Both Leatherman and Gerber could improve so much by cutting down on the sheer number of new models they introduce every year and really concentrating on quality.

That said, tell me how you like it when you get it. A good, hard use review from you will pass muster with me.

Let me know how you like this thing, Steve. I've been looking at it for a while with interest, but just have trouble these days getting behind a Leatherman product.

I can't think of a knife maker that I go back to more often, but in which I am constantly being disappointed. I have broken more Leathermans over the years than I can remember (with the exception of a Wave).

I really wish they would get away from using cheaper "cast" parts from inferior metal on pieces that aren't the blade. Both Leatherman and Gerber could improve so much by cutting down on the sheer number of new models they introduce every year and really concentrating on quality.

That said, tell me how you like it when you get it. A good, hard use review from you will pass muster with me.

Mac,

The only hard use experience that I have with Leatherman is the wave that I own. I bought it in Oct 2001 when I very first went offshore, let me tell you I have put the thing through pure hell and used it in some grueling environments all over the world offshore. It has never failed me in any way. It amazes me still that it has not rusted or broken in any way.

I have gone through a Sog, and Gerber tool in the time that I have had my wave. The Europeans that I work with have all asked me to sell it to them, but I tell you it is well broken in I can open it with one hand easily, I just love it and will never sell it, with that being said I expect the same from the MUT and I will give you an honest review after I take it offshore with me a few times

Guest Lester Weevils

That looks like a nice tool. The only Leatherman I have is an EDC, a little Squirt ES4 older model without the scissors. It has lasted for years. Nothing has broken and it is amazing how many small day to day jobs can be done only with the Squirt.

Haven't thought about it enough but have wondered if maybe two normal-sized multitools could be carefully chosen as "complimentary" to each other so that two multitools would basically be a full toolkit for most purposes? Many jobs go faster if you have two tools and it takes some time to switch tools on a single multi-tool. And often you need ferinstance pliers and screwdriver at the same time.

For best flexibility am guessing an ideal multitool pair would have minimal overlap of tools? For instance maybe better nut drivers on one tool versus better screw drivers on the other tool? Needlenose pliers on one tool versus heavier pliers on the other? I have a tiny Gerber with scissors rather than the wire-stripper-wire-cutter-needlenose on the tiny Leatherman, but the scissors are generally less useful than pliers.

When Leatherman describes the feature Needlenose Pliers and Regular Pliers, are they just talking about the tip of the jaws versus the middle of the plier jaws? Or is there more to it?

I picked up one of the Avid design multi tools for my B.O.B. It's great for the $20. I'm not sure what makes this worth the price either, it's nice though. Wish it and the Samson would come down a bit, I'd pick one up. I'd like to have the Samson tool for my MIAD grip but jeez, that's pricey. Guess I need to cash in my nickel jar:)

Edited by Caster
Both Amazon and Ebay are listing them over $108. You guys must be special. ;)

I paid $97.00 to a friend on a knife forum, (my Price) the seller that I sent you that includes shipping I do not think that you will beat that for the EOD model

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin Team
Well I have had it for a week now and one thing this tool is huge compared to my wave it is a giant I hope that it will hold up as good as my wave has only time will tell but so far I am very happy with it
Really? That's surprising. It doesn't look that big in the pictures.

How about a pic of the two of them side by side when you get a chance? That's not a deal breaker by any means, but the Wave isn't a small knife.

Really? That's surprising. It doesn't look that big in the pictures.

How about a pic of the two of them side by side when you get a chance? That's not a deal breaker by any means, but the Wave isn't a small knife.

Yes,

I was surprised as well but I must say I really do like the size of it

IMG_2738.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Well I used this tool extensively mobilizing an ROV system, it is better than I expected. The fact that I can use this at my Job and then come home and use it on my AR-15's makes it well worth the money I am extremely impressed with it so far

What tools do you find yourself using on your AR. anything that never gets used? Anything you wish it had it doesn't?

• 2 weeks later...

the MUT is badass for sure, but if you're getting a gun specific multi tool, the multitasker is gaining a lot of popularity from guys who use their guns a lot more than i use mine. i've been telling my wife i want the multitakser for Christmas this year. if anyone has one they'd like to critique, i'm all ears. when i get mine, i'll give you my review.