Mil Spec 1911A1 vs Glock .45

graycrait

A hot topic indeed. I agree and disagree with the OP. I agree that the classic 1911 has many flaws that can (and have been) be improved, including capacity, the silly grip safety, the awful bushing problem, overpriced smith and hardware and platforms, and more. However, the glock is not the ultimate weapon either. Its light weight makes the recoil worse, the grip angle is not great, and its "striker" (dont all guns strike the primer with something that could be called a "striker"??) design gives a trigger that has more slop than a pig farm. That leaves those of us who like a single action gun out in the cold: we have a choice between guns with extremely poor triggers that can sometimes be fixed (to the tune of hundreds of dollars extra per gun, and a fixed glock is not safe, only fit for the range never to carry) or guns that are direct decendants of the 1911, or a revolver. For some unholy reason, gun companies CANNOT or WILL NOT make a DA semi auto that has the internals of a DA revolver (when cocked, it really is like a SA revolver, with a tight, short, crisp trigger). One of my early pistols was a S&W DA that looks like a 1911 in every way except the trigger group. Like most other DA autos though the SA pull has a ton of slop and I was never able to clean it up enough to use. I am not a 1911 fanboy but until there are SA options in other platforms, I am stuck with it, and it could be a lot worse.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, actually I hate cats LOL... was just making a point. Actually, most of what I typed there I don't really agree with... :rolleyes:

I'm so glad you're not serious about the cats thing. I normally try to avoid these really juvenile discussions. However, if someone really like cats better than dogs, I'd just have to yell.

The first handgun I ever bought for myself was a '75 Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match; 45ACP of course - although I have many more 1911's that are "valued" much higher, my Gold Cup is still my prized possession. I've owned many 1911s over the years and still own quite a few...I love the 1911 platform and always will and do carry one from time to time.

However,

Training with 1911s at such places as SealedMindset and Tactical Response convinced me that my 1911 should probably not be my primary carry weapon any longer and a few months ago, I switched - my carry weapon 95% of the time, now, is a Glock 31 and I have a handful of other Glocks (30, 20, etc.).

For combat fighting when you life is on the line, the 1911 is still good but in my experience, I think the Glock (or something similar) is a better choice overall.

If the Glock is so perfect, why do folks consistently sand, grind, stipple, and reshape the grip, swap out barrels, replace parts, add decal grips, slip-on grips, etc. Just sayin'...

Glocks have their place. So do 1911's. I have one of each. I like them both. For my money, I'd rather have a nice 1911 over a Glock in .45 any day primarily due to the size difference. The full-size Glock .45 pistols feel like you are holding a 2x4.

Guest BungieCord

All polygonally-barreled weapons -- Glocks, HKs, CZs, Kahrs and Magnum Research included -- have a problem with lead bullets but not hard cast lead bullets. Unless you buy old tire weights from the Goodyear store and cast your own, you're not likely to ever see a "lead" bullet.

If the Glock is so perfect, why do folks consistently sand, grind, stipple, and reshape the grip, swap out barrels, replace parts, add decal grips, slip-on grips, etc. Just sayin'...

Congratulations. You have redefined the non sequitur.

Congratulations. You have redefined the non sequitur.

Why? Because I am right? Glock fanatics talk like their handguns are the end-all be-all of firearms perfection, yet they almost always alter them in some manner or form that includes the grip, trigger, barrel, or even frame. Now they even make aluminum or stainless steel frames (with a 1911 grip angle no less). Sorry if you don't like the truth, but the Glock fanatics out there are thoroughly lacking in perspective on many occasions. One can't have it both ways. Either the Glock is firearms perfection, or it isn't and you take it for what it is: a firearm that has its strengths and its weaknesses, one that suits some and not others.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I absolutely love the 1911 platform. It is in my opinion one of the, if not THE best shooting weapon out there. I own two currently and treasure them both. Although I have carried a 1911 a few times, I typically carry modern plastics: H&K, M&P and lately a Glock G36. They are extremely reliable and very practical. I must agree with the OP.

Why? Because I am right? Glock fanatics talk like their handguns are the end-all be-all of firearms perfection, yet they almost always alter them in some manner or form that includes the grip, trigger, barrel, or even frame.

Uh... no... all I ever do is night sights. The Glock is exactly what it should be. Those that do a ton of alterations to ANY firearm have chosen the wrong basic firearm for themselves, imho.

I own both and I love both. I don't feel the need to choose. Both are great guns. I don't think that the Glock takes less training than the 1911, just different training. The 1911 has an additional step with flipping off the safety (one time), but the Glock requires one to be much more aware of trigger movement. Both are combat accurate, which is all you need. Being a range Ninja is one thing, hitting what your aiming at in a hot situation is entirely another. To me the big difference is the number of rounds each holds. That's not a biggy for me either, because the pistol I carry the most often is .38spl Snubbie.

I was having a glass or two of vino the other night, several hours after handling a fella's custom & personalized Ed Brown 1911. That was a nice pistol, the action so smooth and yet positive; then looked over at one of my not so purty Glocks. I gingerly (don't want to spill) sat my glass of cheap dry red wine down and thought: "I wonder if I can stir something up?"

Well this is just one of those age old arguments that never seem to die, but one (and I think legitimate) question is; Putting personal taste aside (because that's the biggest part of all this) What does the 1911 have to offer that the plastic fantastic cannot offer?

The answer is simple. Nothing. Nothing except the personal pride one feels in what he chooses.

Steel. Made in America. Better grip angle. Very long record of effectiveness. Grips that don't need to be modified to be comfortable or effective. Several different conditions of carry. Slimmer, for easier iwb carry.... Those are a few things glocks can't do.

You asked for things that the 1911 offers that Glocks do not, I provided a few as you requested. You may not see benefit from them, but that is your personal taste.

At the same time you are saying "Putting personal taste aside..."

Guest gw2and4
Let me help to end this argument by introducing you to the pistol that surpasses them both.

HK45_Blog.jpg

"...because you suck, and we hate you." :D

Sent from my iPhone 4

I know little about it... is it that hard to make homemade hard-cast lead? Ive shot plenty of that in poly guns without issue.

No it's not hard at all.

I also know people who do, and personally I haven't made up my mind on the whole cast/polygonal thing, but I do choose to err on the side of caution.

Glocks have their place. So do 1911's. I have one of each. I like them both. For my money, I'd rather have a nice 1911 over a Glock in .45 any day primarily due to the size difference. The full-size Glock .45 pistols feel like you are holding a 2x4.

Although I may regret saying this later...how about a Springer 5" 45 XD Tactical thrown in the mix. I have a 4" that was pretty good, but got hold of the Tactical the other day...it was really great. In fact, I'm buying it.

Yeah, almost blasphemous. :D