ak optics

sam

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two different ones for two different AKs. On one I've got a Russian Kobra on a side rail mount. The Kobra has four different settings and all very clear and crisp, but it's got two problems. One is that the Kobra is a freaking brick, both in size and weight. The thing's just big and heavy. The other is that the battery life is about only 50 hours. You've really got to stock up on batteries. I wouldn't recommend it unless you just want to go authentic Russian. And on a side rail mount it's going to sit up real high. But mine is very serviceable, definitely rugged, and I got it used for pennies on the dollar.

On my other AK variant I have a Bushnell Trophy TRS 25 on an Ultimak rail. It's basically a less expensive version of an Aimpoint Micro. I really like it. It's the opposite of the Kobra. Small, lightweight, sits real low and cowitnesses with the irons perfect. At first the red dot was more like a slash, but not anymore. It's a true, round dot. Maybe it had to be broken in or something. You can get one for around $80. For a fraction of the cost, it probably does most of what an Aimpoint can do. Nutnfancy has a good review on Youtube.

Edited by Stegall Law Firm

It's improved shooting by I estimate 25%. (worthy improvement over the factory irons). The only complaint I had (perhaps wishing I went with the ultimak rail) was that I couldn't get a good cheek weld. I finally found the CAA check rest that fit perfectly on the tapco t6 stock. It works really well know. I would definitely recommend the Primary Arms as a great clone to the Aimpoints. the dots are nice and it doesn't feel cheap. The 'dogtail mount' (sits on top of the cover and includes a nice 'tech sight like' rear sight) + PA microdot' is probably a better set up but much more expensive.

A final thought - it does make the rifle somewhat heavier and thus imho "less AK". I'm just waiting for someone to post that picture with the "take that stuff off that AK" caption. Shooting/handling a 'naked AK' just feels better.

Edited by vujade
A final thought - it does make the rifle somewhat heavier and thus imho "less AK". I'm just waiting for someone to post that picture with the "take that stuff off that AK" caption. Shooting/handling a 'naked AK' just feels better.

Wait no longer. Take that junk off your AK!!! I feel sad that your rifle got raped by the tapco catalog...

The most efficient and effective red dot and mount anyone has come up with to date; Aimpoint Micro on an Ultimak Rail. It even cowitnesses with your iron sights.

IMG_0735.jpg

Mike

Edited by Mike
Guest bkelm18
If you use 30 round magazines, you don't have to aim....

I was going to put a cheaper BSA red dot on mine but did not want to pay more for the mount than I did for the red dot. So I just use 30 round magazines and iron sights. :blink:

The Bushnell TRS 25 is a great bargain optic. It's a cheaper version of an Aimpoint Micro and has gotten some very good reviews. Nutnfancy even gave it a thumbs up and from someone as mall ninja and tacticool as him, I say that means something.

Until recently, the Ultimak was the only way to go. It had 3 problems however: heat build-up limited optic choices, to much weight out front, and it did nothing for the iron sight radius.

I have been using the TWS gen II rail and it is awesome. An actual rifle length peep sight radius, weight is centered, you can use any optic you want, repeatable zero, normal check weld, and you can still get to the internals like before. I had the Vortex SPARC on mine. It cost more than the TRS 25, but (IMO) is a lot more optic. I highly recommend this rail. I've used all the others (BHP-01, Kobra, POSP, .....)nd this is the one. This is it minus the rear peep sight.

GEDC0983-2.jpg

Edited by Smith

Check out the RS mount:

RS AKSM 30mm Scope Mount

This is about the best side rail mount I have found. Works great for 30mm tubes. With aim points you have lower third co-witness or the irons. It is well build, lightweight. For me, this mount and a CompC3 was ak optics perfection. One major problem with most ak optic mounting systems is that they place the optic very high. I have also heard good things about the Midwest industries hand guard mounts. I may try one on my folder that is lacking a side rail.

Wait no longer. Take that junk off your AK!!! I feel sad that your rifle got raped by the tapco catalog...

The most efficient and effective red dot and mount anyone has come up with to date; Aimpoint Micro on an Ultimak Rail. It even cowitnesses with your iron sights.

Agreed. To quote someone else... "you've turned that into a full blown AIDS cannon."

The Ultimak + Aimpoint Micro is a solid combination and I think Mike has given a good representation of it. I've got one on a 5.56 AK and I like it. The downside to it is the weight that's added to the front end of the rifle, the heat may/will kill a lesser optic, and if you want to take your optic off (in the case of an R-1/H-1/T-1) you are whipping out an allen key.

Another, relatively new option to consider is the RS Products optics mount. If your AK variant has a sideplate for optics mounting, this is one to definitely consider. AIM sells it for $250 with a Vortex optic. Personally, I would buy the mount by itself and attach an Aimpoint M2 or M3 RDS. Here's a video of a review...

Agreed. To quote someone else... "you've turned that into a full blown AIDS cannon."

:lol:

and if you want to take your optic off (in the case of an R-1/H-1/T-1) you are whipping out an allen key.

ff97e56f.jpg

Aimpoint makes a throw lever for the micro series.

Until recently, the Ultimak was the only way to go. It had 3 problems however: heat build-up limited optic choices, to much weight out front, and it did nothing for the iron sight radius.

I have been using the TWS gen II rail and it is awesome. An actual rifle length peep sight radius, weight is centered, you can use any optic you want, repeatable zero, normal check weld, and you can still get to the internals like before. I had the Vortex SPARC on mine. It cost more than the TRS 25, but (IMO) is a lot more optic. I highly recommend this rail. I've used all the others (BHP-01, Kobra, POSP, .....)nd this is the one. This is it minus the rear peep sight.

GEDC0983-2.jpg

The TWS and the Ultimak are both good choices for mounting. The Midwest Industries/US Palm railed handguards mounts get good reviews as well.

Personally I prefer the TWS, but no reason not to have both.

Here are some recent blog articles on the subject.

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - Choosing Optics For Your "Assault" Rifle

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - Kalashnikov 2011

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - A Picture Worth 1000 Words - That I Know Will Be Very Controversial

6a0133ec985af6970b014e89d2053a970d-pi

Edited by tenn

I've heard good reports on the primary arms that will co-witness on the ultmak rail, and as mentioned here the Bushnell will also. My question now, which should I get? Amazon has the Bushnell for $70w/free ship, PA is $80+ship. PA has 1 yr. swap warranty, not sure on the Bushnell. Have been wanting to get one of these for a while, just haven't been able to make up my mind.

You get what you pay for with the Primary Arms sights as well as any of the other Aimpoint clones. IMO, the PAs are better than the other clone options, but they're still not comparable. I've seen diode issues, battery issues, and unexplainably dead PA sights in my travels. A few months back, I was helping to set up a number of simunition-configured ARs that all had PAs sitting on top of them and it was not a positive experience.

The saying "buy once, cry once" comes to mind here. Save up some money, get an Aimpoint and then never worry. There are a good number of the Aimpoint R-1s floating around that Midway clearanced for $300. I would keep an eye out for one of them before dropping any dough on a clone.

Guest bkelm18
You get what you pay for with the Primary Arms sights as well as any of the other Aimpoint clones. IMO, the PAs are better than the other clone options, but they're still not comparable. I've seen diode issues, battery issues, and unexplainably dead PA sights in my travels. A few months back, I was helping to set up a number of simunition-configured ARs that all had PAs sitting on top of them and it was not a positive experience.

The saying "buy once, cry once" comes to mind here. Save up some money, get an Aimpoint and then never worry. There are a good number of the Aimpoint R-1s floating around that Midway clearanced for $300. I would keep an eye out for one of them before dropping any dough on a clone.

I just won't bring myself to buy an AK optic that costs as much as the rifle. I've had good luck with clones. I don't run and gun or anything. For casual range use they are perfectly fine.

Guest agt.dealer

mine does great with a vortex strikefire and side rail mount!set you back about $200!!!far better then the clones,been their too!! its well worth the money!!!

I just won't bring myself to buy an AK optic that costs as much as the rifle. I've had good luck with clones. I don't run and gun or anything. For casual range use they are perfectly fine.

"The mission drives the gear" has a lot of truth to it. If your life will never depend on it, then no worries.