C&R FFL

Guest cardcutter

Guest cardcutter

I have been toying with the idea of a C&R for some time now. I have been told that if one has a C&R that the ATF can demand an on sight inspection at any time. Is this true?

Also, for those of you that have had one for a while, doesthe benefitt out way the headaches?

Thanks for the input.

Jim

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The ATF can come out and look over your bound book, and make sure you have all the firearms listed in your book. However, from what I have heard, they will contact you and work out an appointment to come out and inspect your paperwork. All of the stories I have heard, the ATF has been quite friendly about the whole process. I have had a C&R for the past three years (just renewed it), and have never had an inspection.

Do the benefits outweigh the hassles? Yes. Dealer pricing at Midway and Brownell's alone is worth the cost of license.

Guest bkelm18
I have been toying with the idea of a C&R for some time now. I have been told that if one has a C&R that the ATF can demand an on sight inspection at any time. Is this true?

Also, for those of you that have had one for a while, doesthe benefitt out way the headaches?

Thanks for the input.

Jim

The ATF will not demand an inspection nor will they come busting down your door. They will call you and inform you they'd like to see your records (this is EXTREMELY rare. I've only heard of maybe one instance of them doing it), and would likely ask you to come to their office to do it, otherwise they'd set up an appointment to come out to your home. The 03 FFL is an FFL afterall, so there has to be some accountability. The benefits far outweigh this one negative. The dealer discounts alone will make up for the $30 every three years many times over. That was the primary reason for me getting one. I've had mine for about 5 years and have only bought one gun with it but I've saved I'd say at least $500 from various purchases made from Midway.

Guest bkelm18
What types of items do they discount for the C&R and what is the typical discount?

Almost everything. You receive the same discount a dealer would get. I don't know the exact numbers, it might vary, but you can find some very good deals. I'd say it's usually about 10%.

Biggest problem you will have is being able to afford and store all the new firearms that will all of a sudden be available for you to buy. Have had mine going on 2 years now and have purchased at least 20 guns with it from wholesalers, Gunbroker and individuals from other surplus rifle forums. Before the only place I could buy guns was at shows or from local stores. No longer will you be held hostage by their high prices. Being able to buy guns online and have them shipped directly to you opens up a ton of great deals.

Guest bkelm18
Well I took the first step. i downloaded the aplication and filled it out and sent it in today. Now what do i need to do?

If you already sent in the copy to your local Sheriff, then wait.

Well I took the first step. i downloaded the aplication and filled it out and sent it in today. Now what do i need to do?

Get a bigger safe and start saving your money. Two excellent website forums are Gunboards.com and surplusrifleforum.com. You can spend hours and hours on them learning all you will need to know about C&R guns, the use of the license and companies to send it in to.

Guest cardcutter

Well the boys in Atlanta didn't waste any time. My card has already been charged the thirty bucks. I have heard some folks got theirs in as little as two weeks, I have also heard as much as six months. I hate waiting.

You will love it. I keep a copy with me in the car and in my briefcase. You never know what you will find. Anything over 50 years old and many limited edition guns are on the list. Some really nice Smiths, Colts, Brownings, etc were made in the early 60s and 50s.

Almost everything. You receive the same discount a dealer would get. I don't know the exact numbers, it might vary, but you can find some very good deals. I'd say it's usually about 10%.

What he said. I have had mine for about 3 months now and have purchased one gun, but have already saved the price of the FFL a couple of times over with dealer discounts. Midway seems to give the best dealer discounts, however brownells is neck and neck with them.

Guest cardcutter

i have heard everything from two weeks to six months. One of the guys got his back in short order that put in for it last month. I am hoping they are still on the ball down in Atlanta.