C&R FFL

Guest cardcutter

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine in 2003. Aaah, those were the days. One could still get Lee-Enfields, Mausers, Mosin-Nagants, Nagant revolvers, Swiss K-31s, Finnish Mosins, Swede Mausers (yeah, I already mentioned Mausers, but these are a class by themselves). Now, the extent of mil-surp is mostly M-Ns and probably Nagant revolvers. They're still good deals, but...

I let my CR-FFL expire in 2009. The Mil-surp deals were starting to dry up and I had recently lost my job.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. The Midway and Brownell's discount is still worth the $30 every three years. And there were even better deals and selections before I got my C&R, so I missed out on quite a bit.

Who knows, I may reapply someday.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Im sure you will find its worth the $30 too. Like said above the discounts are 10-15% and if you want a C&R firearm it comes to your door.

I just renewed mine also and the ATF made an error on my new address. After 3 months I called them and found their mistake. Another 2 wks and im good to go. I never purchased any firearms, never had a door knock.

Im sure you will find its worth the $30 too.

Mike

Edited by myg30
spell
  • 1 month later...
Guest WRustyLane

I also would like to have a C&R FFL. What are the steps in applying for this license? Also, is the $30.00 the only cost for this? I'm presently a licensed concealed carry permit holder. Will that help?

I also would like to have a C&R FFL. What are the steps in applying for this license? Fill out the form, mail a copy to your Sheriff or Police Chief, send off original to the ATF along with your $30 payment. Wait for the license to arrive.

Also, is the $30.00 the only cost for this? Yes. The license is good for 3 years.

I'm presently a licensed concealed carry permit holder. Will that help? No.

Hey guys in the know,

Do they take Pay-Pal for the C&R? No. Credit card, check, money order.

I wish I had this $30 license before I spent $35 to get the mosin nagant transferred.....

So in consideration of doing this, reading the messages in this thread, one question really popped up.... if the C&R liscense is to buy older and rare firearms, why do Midway and Brownells give C&R holders a dealer discount? Wouldn't all actual dealers have a regular FFL?

Guest cardcutter
.... if the C&R license is to buy older and rare firearms, why do Midway and Brownell's give C&R holders a dealer discount? Wouldn't all actual dealers have a regular FFL?

It is a customer appreciation/ discount thing. a Gimmick if you will. C&R FFl holders are more likely to spend money on after market things for their collections.

Guest bkelm18
I wish I had this $30 license before I spent $35 to get the mosin nagant transferred.....

So in consideration of doing this, reading the messages in this thread, one question really popped up.... if the C&R liscense is to buy older and rare firearms, why do Midway and Brownells give C&R holders a dealer discount? Wouldn't all actual dealers have a regular FFL?

It is a customer appreciation/ discount thing. a Gimmick if you will. C&R FFl holders are more likely to spend money on after market things for their collections.

This.

I've saved a crap-ton of money at Midway with mine, and I've only bought one gun with it in the 4 yrs I've had it.

Just to clarify, are the discounts they give to C&R holders only on accessories for C&R-applicable firearms, or do they extend the discounts to anything, i.e. magazines for modern pistols, holsters, etc.?

Guest cardcutter
Just to clarify, are the discounts they give to C&R holders only on accessories for C&R-applicable firearms, or do they extend the discounts to anything, i.e. magazines for modern pistols, holsters, etc.?

I have gotten the discount on everything I have bought from them since I got it. None of witch are for my C&R collection.

Edited by cardcutter
spelling
Guest bkelm18

You get a discount on pretty much everything they sell.

Thanks guys. I'll look up the application tonight and see about sending it in.

It would be cool to have the "full FFL" but I know that requires running it like a full business with frequent transfers....

Out of curiosity, say I bought a firearm from an FFL and have the C&R, do they still have to run (and charge for) the $10 check? Or can they just check that the C&R is still valid?

Guest bkelm18
Thanks guys. I'll look up the application tonight and see about sending it in.

It would be cool to have the "full FFL" but I know that requires running it like a full business with frequent transfers....

Out of curiosity, say I bought a firearm from an FFL and have the C&R, do they still have to run (and charge for) the $10 check? Or can they just check that the C&R is still valid?

They have the option of transferring it to you as a C&R FFL holder, skipping the background check, etc., however I've never heard of any shop actually doing this. Most will still make you go through the normal process.

When it asks for "Position" (and SS#) in step 9, and when it asks for "Title" next to the signature box, I am putting "Individual" in both places. Any other suggestions?

Also, anyone had better luck mailing or hand-delivering a copy of the form to the Chief of Police? Obviously this will vary by PD, but in general? This will be going to Jackson PD Chief of Police Gill Kendrick, if anyone's dealt with that department.

Thanks

Guest bkelm18

Also, anyone had better luck mailing or hand-delivering a copy of the form to the Chief of Police? Obviously this will vary by PD, but in general? This will be going to Jackson PD Chief of Police Gill Kendrick, if anyone's dealt with that department.

Thanks

Mail it. That form requires no action on their part. It's simply a notification (they don't need to sign off on it or anything). In fact I'd bet that you'd still get the license even if that form never made it to the CLEO since they aren't even required to contact the ATF regarding it unless they have cause to believe you should be denied.

Here's a guide to filling out the form:

http://207.36.233.89/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

It's a bit outdated but I think it still helps.

Edited by bkelm18

Thanks

The Jackson Police Chief is not the CLEO; The Madison County Sheriff is. All you have to do is mail the form, his approval is not necessary.

Here’s the address:

Madison County Sheriff's Office

546 East College Street Jackson, TN 38301-6404

(731) 423-6000

The CLEO in all Counties in Tennessee is the Sheriff, with the exception of Davidson where it’s the Metro Chief.

Edited by DaveTN

Just as a brief aside, If I were to purchase a C&R firearm on Gunbroker (that's all I really want these days!) can I use one of you C&R holders to receive the rifle just like I would any other FFL?

Being a Non Immigrant Alien, I'm a little hesitant to buy online & go through the transfer process. Nothing sinister, I've just never done it before & I don't want any little flags popping up when I renew my visa! If I go through an FFL transfer, is it just the same as buying from the store? (same background checks etc...?)

Just as a brief aside, If I were to purchase a C&R firearm on Gunbroker (that's all I really want these days!) can I use one of you C&R holders to receive the rifle just like I would any other FFL?

Being a Non Immigrant Alien, I'm a little hesitant to buy online & go through the transfer process. Nothing sinister, I've just never done it before & I don't want any little flags popping up when I renew my visa! If I go through an FFL transfer, is it just the same as buying from the store? (same background checks etc...?)

C&R FFL holders aren't able to do transfers like a regular FFL. It's intended to be used for personal collecting activities by the C&R holder. Someone buying a C&R gun on your behalf with their C&R license might be perceived as "engaging in business" which is prohibited.

C&R FFL holders aren't able to do transfers like a regular FFL. It's intended to be used for personal collecting activities by the C&R holder. Someone buying a C&R gun on your behalf with their C&R license might be perceived as "engaging in business" which is prohibited.

Oh. Ah well! Thanks for the info, I didn't know that at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest monkeylove

I have a curios question about applying, and I can't seem to figure it out... the 7CR form says on page two:

"are you in possession of a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the U.S. ?"

and below that it says

"...if you answered NO you likely cannot lawfully possess a firearm and therefore cannotbe a federal firearms licensee"

OK.

I don't understand this. Truth be known, I took a hunter safety course back in the day at Bend-of-the-River - when I was a very young squire, and I had a few hunting licenses when I was a kid. Today I do not hold a license to hunt - I am just having a problem understanding how buying old relic guns equates to huntin' for food.