Hunting and gadgets/gear

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I'll admit I was once a gadget guy. If it was new and the "pro's" used it. I gave it a go. It was a mere year or two ago that I felt like I was back in the Army putting on my battle gear one day. Felt like my rig weighed just like my Army LBV or whatever they call them now. Had to change my ways.

I mean whats necessary really?

Also I find it quite distasteful that 99% of the crap being pushed is not made here in the US. Look at Cabela's catalog, "imported" for almost everything. Why do we pay near $300 for a jacket with scent catching capabilities when a 12 year old Chinese boy is making it for pennies on the dollar? Sort of pisses me off that we need to have that stuff at all.

I know I'm a bitter man.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. A couple of years ago I went back to a simplified approach. All I carry I a bottle of doe pee for cover scent and a grunt tube. All the gadgets are cool and if you want to carry them, more power to you. I just got tired of carrying all the extra weight.

If the gadgets make a fella happy, so be it. Me? None of them. The only two reasons to get out in the first place is to get some good eatin':) and get away from man's crap.

Let's see what I take deer hunting.

*Clothes - what ever is warm enough, but I'm so hot natured, I hunt in denim shorts unless it's below 30 degrees. No fancy camo or wild scent blocking nonsense. This is Middle TN, you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a deer.

*Shoulder bag or backpack (whatever mood I'm in) - Skinning knife, bottle of rubbing alcohol, spray bottle of H2O2, compass, tinder box, and a lighter...oh and some beef jerky in case I get the munchies.

*Belt - canteen, field knife (I never need it, but I like carrying it) and Ruger Blakchawk in 45 LC.

*Rifle(308) and about 10 rounds of ammo.

Strap on my good boots, and I will see you around twilight.

I could understand more care being taken for bow season, but i don't bow hunt. I don't hunt period until 98% of the leaves are off the trees.

I will say this, I am seriously considering looking into checking in via the internet. I haven't read all the details yet, but I might be inclined to take an iPhone with me and check it in right then and there.

I carry a day pack with me. In the inner back panel there is a zipper opening. I keep basic survival gear in that pocket all the time. Basic shelter(huge garbage bag), fire starter, first aid kit, couple of snack bars.

I don't carry that much extra in the main pocket. Grunt call, doe bleat, knife, rubber gloves for skinning, box of ammo.

I'm like a lot of folks out there right now. Too broke to buy all the fancy stuff.

I draw a pretty clear distinction between gear and gadget.

Gear, I will experiment with to find what works best. I probably went through 20 or 25 climbing stands in the late 80's and early 90's, until I found my Summit Saber. I have experimented with a few friend's newer and lighter stands, but haven't found anything that is a stable and quiet as mine.

Gadgets, I really try to stay away from. I occasionally give in to the hype, but almost always regret it. I almost dread turkey and bow seasons because of the amount of crap I tend carry. I went through my turkey stuff last night trying to find my modified choke tube, and set the box aside to go through this weekend and thin it out. Turkey calls and bow accessories are the worst.

I do tend to keep a lot of extra gear in the truck, but try to keep what I carry on me to a minimum. This is mostly because I live in the city now, and it is a pretty good drive to where I have hunted the last several years.

For the most part, I just haven't been able to correlate hunting success to any of the gadgets I have purchased over the years. For me, that is the bottom line. Find what works for me, and stick with it.

Edited by quietguy
punc
Guest GunTroll

Glad to see I'm not the only recovering gear head.

I too have not been able to contribute any of my success to any of the gear/gadgets that I get "con-ed" into buying. I like vest with pockets over backpacks. Maybe the Army tacticool mentality has not left me completely yet. Quick to grab is my thought. But with all that stuff in those pockets, I firmly believe that none of it has helped me put a tag on anything. For me, my success has been just being in the woods, in the right spot ( food source, travel area, etc), at the right time, understanding the wind, watching my scent coming in and out, and sitting still observing and listening to the woods. As far as the act of killing, maybe I'm a good shot (debatable) and I have good weapons ( a fact :rolleyes: ) . If it works for you (all the gadgets) by all means. I haven't seen the reward(s) for my investment however.

BTW this is my mentality for whitetail around here in the south/midwest only. Other game, obviously could be a different story.

Edited by GunTroll

OK, If "castor" allows, I'm going to steal his format. Since my favorite way to hunt is with a Flintlock Rifle, I will start with "Kleine Schwester". The rifle contains one 3/8's diameter wiping stick, and a 3/4 inch chunk of rock, that ya'll call flint.

In my shooting pouch, I have a pair of hand forged pliers (by me), a turnscrew (forged by me), and a buckskin bag containing some very eligant english flints. There is also a tin of patch lube that I made from a mixture of boar fat and beeswax. A buckskin bullet bag full of .50 cal balls, cleaning jag, ball puller, patch worm, vent pick, flash pan brush, wood tube of extra priming powder. Oh yeah, a piece of moldy jerky from last years hog hunt.

My possibles bag (haversack) contains, tender, flint, steel, tow and char cloth for fire starting. A tin plate I took from a dead Brittish soldier I kilt at King's Mountain (don't bash me Robtattoo), a

two prong fork (forged by me) a eating knife (made by me), candles, a buckskin bag containing dried red peppers, a tiny wood bottle of salt, and one of peppercorns. A tin cup (from the same dead bloke that gave up the plate) Easy Robtattoo! On the outside of the bag is attached a drinking cup made from a cows horn...whew....

Attached to the outside of my shooting pouch, is a Patch knife (forged by me), a main powder horn containing 3f powder to feed to me rifel, a smaller horn of 4f powder to prime me pan! Hanging around me kneck is a wood piece containing 5 greasy patched balls.

On my feet are a pair of hand stitched centerseam, deerskin mockersons braintanned in the fashion of the eastern woodland savages. Buckskin leggings cover me stockings and knee britches. A walnut stained hunting frock covers my upper and I'm topped off with a tricorn hat or tied bandana.....depending on my mood!

Around me waste is a wide belt of fine leather, in which I aquired from an english fella whom no longer needed it. Stuck within is a fine butcher knife enclosed in a sheath of leather and a tomahawk taken from a red savage whom would have faired better by staying at home!

Give me a day or two, and I'll get modern on ya!

Edited by wd-40

I am broke, so I don't buy much of anything. My philosophy is that people have been killing game for centuries with weapons that don't even compare to a modern rifle. I have some calls and such, but I have never had luck with any of it on deer. Therefore, if deer is the target, I do not even carry a back pack. If it doesn't fit in a pocket, it's probably staying in the truck or at home. Granted I am not a real successful hunter, but the kill is not the main objective for me.

Edited by dats82

I have way too much gear. I have way too many gadgets. I am guilty of carrying way to much crap afield. I am getting better though. I got a turkey vest that holds less stuff. Thus I carry less stuff. I got a smaller hunting pack so I carry less crap. Usually the first hunt of the season I have way too much stuff. By the end of season I have dropped the pack, stuffed a flashlight and a roll of flagging tape in my cargo pocket and a belt knife.

Here is what is almost always useful to me:

Flashlight - I usually carry two or three

Flagging tape - never hunt without it

binoculars - when I don't have them, I wish I did.

Thermacell - required for bowhunting during skeeter season

iPhone - so I can text GunTroll to tell him I am cold and ain't seen crap all week.

Everything else can usually stay in the truck. If I know I am going for a long walk, I will pack some food/water/first aid to take with me just in case.

Guest GunTroll

HAHAHA! Last four or so post are hilarious.

TP is withouta doubt very high on the list of essentials! Especially if your a coffee junkie like me! Get all the way up in a tree and ..... dang coffee!

SME Whiskey, ain't gonna do any texting to me this year. I'm off the cell grid remember. Ah piece and quite this season.

Guest adamoxtwo

You guys are hysterical.

I see so much crap on in the store and I am tempted, but never pull the trigger. Mostly because my wife keeps me honest. I just received my trail cams yesterday and the first thing she did was call me a cheater. She thinks that an old set of BDU's, a Rifle (without a scope), and a knife is all you need for hunting. Any scent, scent coverup, or anything she considers to give us an edge is cheating. So with that said, I have purchased carefully. I have my knife, In my pack with napkins use sanitary purposes along with one full and one empty drink bottle, a rattle bag (Left cargo pocket), Scent usually Doe P (right cargo pocket) Rifle with 3 rounds/or crossbow with 3 bolts and a smile. Even the crossbow I was told was cheating.

You guys are hysterical.

I see so much crap on in the store and I am tempted, but never pull the trigger. Mostly because my wife keeps me honest. I just received my trail cams yesterday and the first thing she did was call me a cheater. She thinks that an old set of BDU's, a Rifle (without a scope), and a knife is all you need for hunting. Any scent, scent coverup, or anything she considers to give us an edge is cheating. So with that said, I have purchased carefully. I have my knife, In my pack with napkins use sanitary purposes along with one full and one empty drink bottle, a rattle bag (Left cargo pocket), Scent usually Doe P (right cargo pocket) Rifle with 3 rounds/or crossbow with 3 bolts and a smile. Even the crossbow I was told was cheating.

Tell her when you are able to smell a deer 300 yards away and hear a twig snap 100 yards away and gain the ability to walk silently through the woods, then you will be ready to fight fair. Till then, we only have our brains and the contraptions our brains invent.

Guest adamoxtwo
Tell her when you are able to smell a deer 300 yards away and hear a twig snap 100 yards away and gain the ability to walk silently through the woods, then you will be ready to fight fair. Till then, we only have our brains and the contraptions our brains invent.

:(