Bass Pro Shop BAD service BUT

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

LONG story but it does have to do with my latest gun purchase.

OK so one day about 2 months ago I got to Bass Pro Shop with my wife and 7 year old daughter. I wanted to look at some rifles and see what fit my daughter.

After standing at the counter near the .22 rifles for 20 minutes while 4 gun salesman help a blond woman at the next counter down. They finally finish helping her and 2 of the salesman walk out from behind the counter and back on the floor while the other two salesman sit and talk to each other while me, my wife and my daughter stand at the counter for another 5 minutes watching them talk.

So we leave the gun area and go to the customer service desk and ask for the manager, he is not in but I talk to an ASS. Manager and tell him the story. He says Im sorry then stands there impatiently waiting for me to say good bye so he can get back to his break or something. So I say I will be going somewhere else to buy my guns and I will not be back here to buy a gun again, and he says Im sorry BYE. and I leave.

So I go home and I email Bass Pro Shops Corp office. About a week later the manager from the Bass Pro Shop i was at calls me and says that he got my email from the corp office and he checked the video tape from the gun counter that day and agreed what happened was completely un-exceptable. He talked the the salesman and the ASS. Manager that was so rude to me and the Manager asked me to come in and he would like to personally apologize and try and make things right. So for the next few weeks I go by a few times and the manager is not there FINALLY i stop in and he is there. I introduce myself and he apologized for the issues. I tell him I am shopping for a gun and her personally walks me back to the gun counter and gets a sales man and tells him to help me and give me $50 of any gun I want.

So I walk out with a Remington 597 .22 rifle for 100 bucks plus tax and gun check.

Now I have a nice .22 plinker rifle for ME LOL

J

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great story, but I rarely let a business "buy" my way back. I give each place 2 chances. In your case you had the opportunity to give them 2 chances at one shot. The employees at the gun counter had the chance to do the right thing by one of the 4 stopping assisting the blonde and coming to talk to you. At least when they finished one of them should have come and talked to you.

You then gave them another chance by talking to an assistant manager. He brushed you off and sent you on your way.

In my opinion BPS would have been done on that second occurrence. When I emailed BPS Corporate I would have explained that I am an avid member of the local hunting and shooting community and I will be letting all of my fellow sportsman know about their lack of customer service and will suggest that like me they no longer shop there.

A year later I would go back in and see what happened.

The lesson learned is to tale a blond with you as bait!!

There are tactics to combat inept service. I would not have gone back.

I will not twist some business's arm to take my money. There are plenty of good gun shops that are eager to take your money. Yes you may need to pay 10% more for the same firearm but, you will get service.

Bad service seems to be the norm anymore. But I think Bass Pro went above and beyond what most places would have done. They took the time to look at the video, do something about it and call you. I’m sure if the store manager went through all that the employees at fault were reprimanded.

Let’s face it, these are not high paying jobs and the people are cycled through. Sometimes it takes time to weed out the bad ones. I would have been more than satisfied with how they handled the situation.

I was kinda surprised at my last visit to Bass Pro. I was looking for some odds and ends that I could not locate and ask one of the guys behind the counter where some items were. Instead of pointing at the isle like most clerks would do he came from behind the counter and went to the isles and pointed the items out. One of the things I was looking for was Butler Creek scope caps. As I was looking at the package trying to decided what size I needed the same guy came back and said “You know, the best way I have found to size those is to just try them on the scope; what scope do you have?†I told him and he went behind the counter and brought out a Leupold scope. He opened the packages, tried them on and said ‘There you go.â€

I know that kind of service is rare (especially on low cost items like I was looking at), but it is still out there. Like in any job there are people that want to do a good job and people that think they deserve a pay check for showing up.

On a different note… Good luck with your new 597. Without getting into high dollar target rifles that is the most accurate “out of the box†.22 I have ever owned.

If yours is like most it will take 500 to 1000 rounds to get that action to operate properly. Mine didn’t like much other than CCI Mini Mag Hollow points.

There is a lot of good information on that rifle at Rimfire Central.

Guest jcramin

The initial problem actually happened a couple months ago. It just took some time for the email to trickle down to the local manage and then several weeks for me to meet him. Since the initial problem, I have talked to 1/2pint about prices and he can get great prices on the stuff im looking for from now on.

I probably would not have purchased a rifle at BPS but the manager did want me to come in and see him personaly and after his $50 off offer, I couldnt let that go.

J

Guest TN.Frank

They've got everything but as ya'll have said, service is pretty much non-exsistant. I've wanted to look at the handguns a time or two when I was in the Nashville store and stood at the counter for a few miniutes without anyone asking me if they could help me. Guess they just don't really care if they make a sale or not.

Guest TNDixieGirl
Unfortunately in Memphis, we seem to have a lack of gun shops that want to take your money. I take that back, they'll all take your money gladly, but customer service seems to be a problem around here.

Try Brighton Arms on Highway 51. Customer service is outstanding.

• 1 month later...

I hate to say it but most gun shops i go to are full of smart allecks. These are not the terms i would normally use but in case of mixed company. I cant understand why they have the elitist attitude because its been my experience that gun owners are goodly, helpful folks. There are exceptions, i frequent guns and leather often but only like to deal with denis, ben or lonnie. I have found some of the others terse and rude. I spend money there! I will never go to gun city ever again and probably neither will i go to rick useltons. I too have had issues at bass pro but not as bad as yours.

Guest jackdog

treat me like s%^T and you never see me again. I refuse toi deal with a store that does not service their customers

Guest tnmale46

OK so one day about 2 months ago I got to Bass Pro Shop with my wife and 7 year old daughter. I wanted to look at some rifles and see what fit my daughter.

After standing at the counter near the .22 rifles for 20 minutes while 4 gun salesman help a blond woman at the next counter down. They finally finish helping her and 2 of the salesman walk out from behind the counter and back on the floor while the other two salesman sit and talk to each other while me, my wife and my daughter stand at the counter for another 5 minutes watching them talk.

So we leave the gun area and go to the customer service desk and ask for the manager, he is not in but I talk to an ASS. Manager and tell him the story. He says Im sorry then stands there impatiently waiting for me to say good bye so he can get back to his break or something. So I say I will be going somewhere else to buy my guns and I will not be back here to buy a gun again, and he says Im sorry BYE. and I leave.

So I go home and I email Bass Pro Shops Corp office. About a week later the manager from the Bass Pro Shop i was at calls me and says that he got my email from the corp office and he checked the video tape from the gun counter that day and agreed what happened was completely un-exceptable. He talked the the salesman and the ASS. Manager that was so rude to me and the Manager asked me to come in and he would like to personally apologize and try and make things right. So for the next few weeks I go by a few times and the manager is not there FINALLY i stop in and he is there. I introduce myself and he apologized for the issues. I tell him I am shopping for a gun and her personally walks me back to the gun counter and gets a sales man and tells him to help me and give me $50 of any gun I want.

So I walk out with a Remington 597 .22 rifle for 100 bucks plus tax and gun check.

Now I have a nice .22 plinker rifle for ME LOL

J

same thing happend to me at a well known store in johnson city stood there no other customer was there btw for about 15 mins. and was ignored by the sales people i said i guess you all think i cant buy a gun walked out never been back Edited by tnmale46
spelling
Guest eyebedam

Yeah Bass Pros cust servise isnt the best. I stopped in @ 9.30 in the morn to get some ammo they had behind the counter. The guy was on the phone so I stood around & waited & looked around at the guns. About 15 mins later he finally got off the phone & spit his mouth full of cophenhagen juice in the trash can & let it drip all over his chin I told him what I needed which was directly behind him he siad itll be just a min & disappeared. I finally had to get someone else to go behind the counter to hand it to me. Poor Cust Service just sux.

I hate to say it but most gun shops i go to are full of smart allecks. These are not the terms i would normally use but in case of mixed company. I cant understand why they have the elitist attitude because its been my experience that gun owners are goodly, helpful folks. There are exceptions, i frequent guns and leather often but only like to deal with denis, ben or lonnie. I have found some of the others terse and rude. I spend money there! I will never go to gun city ever again and probably neither will i go to rick useltons. I too have had issues at bass pro but not as bad as yours.

One of the best stores I've been to was the old Gun Mart on Charolette pk. That was several years ago. Even when I came in just to browse they would ask if there was anything I wanted to look at, answered questions, and even acknowledged I was there if they were in the middle of a gun sale. I bought several guns from them, several holsters and quite a bit of ammo and accessories, and had some very satisfactory gun smith work done by them. I had even sent friends there to buy guns.

Then there's a couple of stores I walked out of in the past saying screw them under my breath.

Good service and courtesy is good business.

Guest HexHead

I don't get this kind of milquetoast behavior. In the same circumstances I would have said "Excuse me, but can I get some service over here?" to the gaggle of salespeople. I don't get the whole leaving because nobody asked to help you. If I took the time to drive over there, I'm gonna leave with what I went for.

I don't get this kind of milquetoast behavior.

hoooo boy I agree with this. You do not even want to be the clerk in some big box store and not give me attention or service. I will bring the house down upon you.

If you are a clerk in a gun shop, well I assume the owner knows and approves of your behavior and I will not give you two cents of my business again.

I agree with mike.

I went to Sportsmans Whse last week which is iffy on there CS.Sometimes youll get waited on before you even make it to the counter,sometimes you have to wait.

Anyhoo,I did my shopping and then made my way to the gun counter to get a set of 1911 grips.There was two employees,one was talking to a customer the other was showing some rifles.I stayed there patiently waiting for the talker to shut the hell up and wait on me,which I was promptly ignored.Thats when I spoke up over there conversation and said buddy,I just need a set of grips.

I was in and out in no time but if I hadnt been rude and interrupted this casual conversation I would have been there for a while.

Sometimes if you wait to be waited on then they will not know you need help,or like in this case the employee was tied up talking BS and couldnt be rude and just walk away to help me.

Guest ColdEspresso

I have to say that it is unfortunate that you had bad service at BPS. Usualy, the gun counter is 3 deep on a weekend and it is extremely busy. I have seen staff on slow nights sitting around chatting (even with PC security) during their shift. OTOH, the firearms department has always been quick to respond and have knowlegeable staff that are willing to take the time to discuss your needs. I think the prices are high and I would rather support an independant.

Guest CleanSeries80

all of my experiences with BPS have been horrible. all the handguns are locked and you are not allowed to have them unlocked to check the fit/finish and overall quality of the handgun. that irritates me just a bit more than a little so they lost my business a year or more ago

Guest Scottech
for firearms, skip BPS and go to a lil guy shop and keep those guys in business. we need them more than big corporation

That depends on the store. Most of the lil' guy's around here are specialty shops for HG's or customizing AR's. I've gotten better rifle deals from big corporate places like BPS or WM.

Guest Phantom6
That depends on the store. Most of the lil' guy's around here are specialty shops for HG's or customizing AR's. I've gotten better rifle deals from big corporate places like BPS or WM.

Yeah but you haven't asked me to quote you a rifle and when it comes to lil' guys, We're about as little as they come.