S&W 442

Guest NashvegasMatt

Guest NashvegasMatt

I just picked up one of the stout little guys for just under $400. The thing that sold me was the weight and the hammerless feature. Haven't shot it yet, but I can only imagine..... Anyone else had any experience with these revolvers?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone needs a snubbie. ;)

I usually carry a 642 on a daily basis. I believe you'll like it. There should be numerous threads on here about the 442 and 642. I also started a J-Frame social group on here that might have some helpful info.

It's not a range gun for sure but you will still need to shoot it enough to stay proficient. It takes some practice to get use to the heavy trigger. Dry firing does help smooth out the trigger a little. Enjoy.

Edited by Trekbike

I have a 642, and I think it's the same thing in a different color. I carry mine a lot because it is so light. I have done two things...added a Crimson Trace grip and had an action job. I probably had the gun for a year or two before I did either...so try yours out and get used to it. The CT grips cut down on recoil because they have a rubber section that comes around the backstrap - and I really like the laser to get on target fast. The action job made a big difference in the trigger pull...like Trekbike said, the 642/442 has a reputation for a much heavier trigger, and it's not as silky smooth as some of the other S&W revolvers. Anyway, my bet is you'll really like your 442 as a carry gun. Won't be your favorite range gun because it kicks pretty hard, but it will always be the one you want to carry. Good luck, B

Edited by Bassoneer

FWIW, in my 642 the Winchester White Box +P JHP ammo kicks like a young mule but Winchester's PDX1 +P, which is what I actually carry in it, is surprisingly pleasant to shoot. So far, though, I've only tested the PDX1 for function and accuracy. I need to informally (as in water jugs) test it for penetration and expansion but I don't doubt that it will do its job if called upon.

One other thing you may want to know - my five-round HKS speedloader doesn't work very well with the factory grips on my 642. The grips are just a little too thick in the area where the speedloader needs to be. Not that big a deal, really as the Bianchi speed strips work great and are easier to carry. I know some folks take the Dremel to the grips on various small revolvers to modify them to work with speedloaders but it really isn't worth it, to me.

I actually was starting to prepare myself for the colder months and wearing jackets, with a shoulder holster. Anyone have one to recommend?

I don't want to necessarly talk you out of a shoulder holster but I think there are several better options. As people have said the snubbie excels as a pocket gun. It can travel just as easy in most coat pockets as it does in your pants pocket. The advantage with either pocket carry is you can actually get a grip on the pistol if things start looking a little odd but you're not sure. No one gives it a second thought with you hand in your pocket. Your hands are many times in your coat pocket anyway. Get caught off guard and you can fire from the coat pocket if you had to.

IMO, save the shoulder holster for the big guns.

One other thing you may want to know - my five-round HKS speedloader doesn't work very well with the factory grips on my 642. The grips are just a little too thick in the area where the speedloader needs to be. Not that big a deal, really as the Bianchi speed strips work great and are easier to carry. I know some folks take the Dremel to the grips on various small revolvers to modify them to work with speedloaders but it really isn't worth it, to me.

I ended up going with aftermarket Hogue grips which cover the backstrap. It served two purposes: The speedloader now works without rubbing and the covered backstrap helps to absorb some of the recoil. There is one drawback about the Hogue grip. It's a bit longer and bulkier than the factory grip. For me, its a front pocket carry gun and I was still able to conceal with the larger grip. For others, the increased size may be an issue.