Glock 20SF 10mm thoughts

TNrifleman

I'm thinking about a Glock 20SF for a woods gun. Any owners out there with any imput? I have medium to small hands and i'm a little concerned about the grip size. The largest grip pistol i have is a sig 229 with hogue wrap arounds but its managable. Any experience or thoughts would be great. I did a search and didnt find anything posted on the site. Thanks.

I recently sold a 2nd gen G20 to buy a 3rd gen 20sf. Im a big guy but the 20sf feels perfect to me. The full size still feels good to me but I prefer the sf. They are a wonderfull shooting pistol. Go fondle one at the gun shop and if it fits you, buy it. I use mine as a woods gun and have recently added a set of TFO's. Gonna try an get a deer with it this year if its comes close enough.

I had a standard G20 and liked it. Definitely a beast. Fair amount of recoil but nothing bad. Like a .40SW on steroids. Only reason I sold it was because ammo was too expensive.

Georgia Arms is the way to go if you decide to get a 10mm, if you dont reload. The last time I stocked up I got 50 rounds of fmj for 20.50 or 50 rounds of jhp for 21.50, at the gun show. You can get it cheaper in bulk. Premium carry/hunting ammo can get a little pricey though.

I bought one about a month ago, after waiting years in vain for Springfield to make and XD10.

I simply couldn't stand the grip of the standard G20. The grip of the G20SF was much improved, but I still think it's too bulky, so the first thing I did when I got it home was sand off the finger grooves. The grip is acceptable to me, now, but I know it could be so much better.

The recoil isn't bad at all, in my opinion. The gun has been absolutely reliable, so far. I've ordered a Serpa holster for it, and I plan to carry it when I go biking in State parks and National forests. (Currently, I carry an XD45 Tactical).

Guest The Highlander

I love my 20 and 29, but I have small/average hands and they are quite large. I really can't shoot to full potential with them. The SF wasn't around when I bought mine or that is what I would have gotten. Or the Gen4.

I have a G30, which is the same grip as the G29. The thing you have to determine is if you like the grip extending through your palm to the base of your hand. Your Sig probably stops short of this (maybe just past the center of your palm to 2/3 down?). The SF difference seems negligible to me.

Thanks for the info guys sounds like just what i need, the dealer is out of them at the moment but has some on order so i'll let you know when he gets some in and the verdict.

I do believe the Glock 21 uses the same frame, it would probably be easier to find and fondle.

great gun and a great caliber. I'd love to have one but I'll have to start reloading before that happens.

This is where I'm at. I'd really like to try one but I also like having readily available calibers. The ammo issue combined with the fact that I can't think of a practical "need" for one, means I've talked myself out of it for now.

When buying 10mm ammo, especially defensive ammo, keep in mind a lot of manufacturers tame down their 10mms (just based on what I have seen and heard). For defensive ammo I stuck with Buffalo Bore or Double Tap ammo.

Guest BungieCord

I have the world's first G20SFC. I got into the 10mm when the Delta Elite was the only choice (unless you were looney enough to mess with a Bren 10). So I jumped on a G20C because I figured the extra slide weight would make it a more controllable platform than the O-frame Colt. But I have girlie-sized hands so the grip always felt like it had the ergos of a 2x4.

I bought a G20SF as soon as they hit the streets, swapped barrels and slides with the G20C and, voilà, G20SFC. The short frame massively improves pointability. I was never in any real danger of losing control when shooting the full-sized frame but, especially because of my history with Colts and single stack magazines, I'd grown accustomed to having more overlap of my fingers when I encircled the grip. The G20 was never in any real danger of jumping out of my hand but it just felt ...awkward.

But it's still a big gun. Short frame and all, it's still noticeably larger than a G37/38. Yeah, me and my small hands also are into the .45 GAP, at least when I'm shooting the tactical tupperware.

I roll my own, plus I always keep at least 500-rd case of factory ammo in reserve -- WWB or whatever's cheap -- in all my SD pistol calibers, so ammo availability is not a consideration.

Guest BungieCord

Actually, I'd forgotten I took these comparison photos. This is after the slide swap so the one marked G20 is (was) the 20C.

glock20scompared.jpg

Left, G20. Right, G20SFC.

You can see the non-SF's backstrap has quite a lot more arch to it. Less apparent is that the "beavertail" is cut higher and deeper on the SF.

i have 2 glock20s i really like them if you ride on one of those small plans in alaska more than likley the pilot will havw one as well. i use aftermarket barrels in them so i can shoot lead bullets but when la. highway patrol changed to 40 i bought about 30 cases of ww black talon for less than 5.00 for a 50 round box

• Like 1

I have a G20SF, and I love it. I run a .40 conversion bbl in it, so I have 2 in 1 capability if I'm going to shoot a lot of ammo. I prefer shooting 10mm out of it, but it is still a lot of fun with the .40 and keeps me practiced with grip consistency, sight picture, trigger pull, gun weight, etc.