Doc Brown's lever action sniper - Just for fun.

Beltaine

Totally Hollywood. In other words, all appearance, no reality. First, look at the loading port. It's obviously chambered in a pistol-length cartridge. Low power and short range, limitations. Second, the frame is brass. So even if it WAS chambered in a useful long-range cartridge, the frame couldn't handle it.

If you want to build a useful long-range lever-action rifle, I would start with a Savage 99 action. They handle .308 pressures just fine, have a rotary magazine so you don't have to worry about pointy bullets hitting primers under recoil, and the barrel is easily free-floated. I think one in .260 Remington with a 24" varmint barrel might be interesting! Another choice might be a Browning BLR for the same reasons as the Savage.

Yeah, brass frames were used on the early lever rifles and carbines. They were black powder cartridges and low powered compared to anything today. I don't know what cal. the 1866 Win. (Yellowboy) was in. Probably .44 Henry or maybe .44-40. The Henry cartridge was very low pressure and velocity. Doc had a pretty neat rifle though.

You could make one but his, as noted, is a hollywood prop. I have a 9X scope on my 30-30 and its a killer at 100-200 yards, extrapolate that to a long range caliber should be easy. The hard part would be finding a lever gun in an acceptable caliber, I do not know what is out there, but I do not think there are a lot of 335s, 308s, 30-06s, 7mms, or the like in lever guns to be found... However, remember that back when, a sniper rifle was only used at a couple hundred yards, 350 or so yards is a pretty common sniper shot and the real long range stuff is much more rare. A lot of men have died to a 300 or so yard shot, a 4 power scope, and whatever rifle.

Guest Lester Weevils

Dumb question-- Of the older lever-actions, were they typically brass or gun metal? Gun metal is supposedly some kind of bronze.

Gunmetal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think I read somewhere that gun metal is stronger than typical brass for receivers and such. Can't recall. Dunno if gun metal would be any better than brass for a high-power round. Only curious.

Dumb question-- Of the older lever-actions, were they typically brass or gun metal? Gun metal is supposedly some kind of bronze.

Think I read somewhere that gun metal is stronger than typical brass for receivers and such. Can't recall. Dunno if gun metal would be any better than brass for a high-power round. Only curious.

Bronze (gunmetal) was used primarily in Naval cannon because of it's corrosion resistance. It is not significantly stronger than brass for small arms use. By the time of the 1866 Winchester, iron and steel frames were becoming inexpensive enough that brass (and bronze) quickly went by the wayside. At the same time, cartridges were steadily getting more and more powerful. So brass or bronze were no longer used in small arms production.

During the War Between the States, Southern arms manufacturers intentionally tried to design firearms capable of using brass as a major component. This was due to the scarcity of iron and steel.

Guest GunTroll

Those toggle action designs which I believe most were on a brass receiver, are indeed not strong at all. I had a 38 spc Uberti Henry type action, forget what year repro this one was, that was so badly out of head space. I mean it was a joke to even put in my gauges! Could have measured with a tape measure. If I remember correctly it was pushing 1/16, .0625 or worse!! Indeed not a strong action. The toggle pin hole was very oval-ed shape due to the loads or the amount of firing this thing had seen. I think this is common amongst the CB action shooting firearms of this design that are popular these days and get more shooting time logged than perhaps they should. Dunno.

I was looking at my Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70 last night. Its got a 26 inch octagon barrel, 10 round capacity, and a Leupold FXIII 6 power on it. So yes, that sort of design is out there more or less without a custom shop needed. Also the load port is very small when compared to the case. Never really thought of the size issue until this thread or the post that pointed it out.

Cool info 1gewehr.