1903 Rescue

Sometimes its great when you can rescue a little bit of history. I found this Model 1903 Springfield at a gun store early this year.

It started out like this.

jhveog.jpg

28wp4it.jpg

It now looks like this.

2dsn4v5.jpg

35lucer.jpg

I built it as a recreation of a pre-WWI Sniper Rifle as used by the USMC in 1914 during the Veracruz, Mexico intervention and occupation. The scope is a Leatherwood 3X scope that comes close to the original Winchester A5 scope that the Marines used. Interesting to note that the Marines employed sniper rifles like this as late as Guadalcanal in WWII.

Ben Schade the gunsmith at the Lebanon Gun Shop (615-547-9600) did the drill and tap for the bases of the scope, he also corrected the misaligned cuts on the rings. The stock is a Boyds that I refinished and then fitted using the National Match methods developed by the Springfield Armory.

Next project will be a remake of one of the WWII sniper rifles. :blush:

Edited by DMark

...And the winner of the "Bubba Gunshcmitt Hackjob Restoration Award" goes to.

D.Mark

Incredible. Seriously, your sir, deserve marks for de-turding a ridiculous chop job and giving that rifle back it's dignity. If we ever meet, I'll buy you a beer.

​Heck Yeah!

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

Yup..., Somebody had put a beating on this poor 1903. However, once I got it to the range, even in its Bubba form I found that it was a sub MOA shooter. Not bad for a 1918 built rifle. :)

100 yards, Hornady Match ammo, issue sights, 6 o'clock hold, first three shots without any sight adjustments.

24cv3nt.jpg

So it was clear that this rifle was a keeper. I already have a few other 03s, so what to do with this one - - - how about a vintage sniper. I couldn't bring myself to D&T the reciever, so the early USMC sniper with the rear base of the rear sight mount was the answer. I figure that would make it a great 300 yard.

330 yards, 16 shots. First shot is the low one at seven o'clock.

fyermw.jpg

Still re-learning how to shoot one of these old-style scopes with the external adjustments. The 3x crosshairs just about covers the head pass 300 yards. So shooting out to 600 yards, which this rifle can do (we do it all the time in service rifle using iron sights), won't be easy.....

..... But It Will Be Fun!

build one for the sniper shoot at camp perry next year

AND the Eastern Games at Camp Butner, NC in the spring.

But...., I think I'll need to find a 1903 receiver that has already been D&T so that I can make one of these - - -

2edtf1g.jpg

USMC M1941 with the Unertl 8X. :)

There is talk that Leatherwood might be bringing out a copy of the Unertl scope.

Edited by DMark
Drill and tap...I think

You are correct Sir.

Its to mount the bases, like this one on the barrel.

2a4pohv.jpg

To build a USMC M1941 Sniper, you have to D&T the receiver in order to get the spacing right to mount the Unertl scope. BTW - - - The pic below is from an actual USMC M1941 Sniper.

i6d1mw.jpg

Its something I'd rather not do to a 1903 that has survived all these years unmodified, the main reason I built the one in this thread the way I did. So I'm looking for one that has already been "sporterized" by somebody who D&T the rifle long ago.

Nice job! That's a beautiful rifle.

I have a sporterized Rock Island Arsenal 1903 that my grandfather passed on to me (sadly, it was modified before I got it). It's a tack-driver, and I hunt with it often. It's my favorite rifle. I would like to get an unmodified 1903 one of these days. I like 'um

AND the Eastern Games at Camp Butner, NC in the spring.

But...., I think I'll need to find a 1903 receiver that has already been D&T so that I can make one of these - - -

2edtf1g.jpg

USMC M1941 with the Unertl 8X. :rolleyes:

There is talk that Leatherwood might be bringing out a copy of the Unertl scope.

I just so happen to have a 8X Unertl. It is not quite as long as the one pictured but has the correct period rings that do the adjustments. Not the later micro click. It also has the recoil spring. No Wood Box or end caps. End caps can be made. I have been sitting on this for over 20 years. If interested PM me and you can look at it. I know we live near each other.

BTW, it is a beautiful rifle you have built. I have used the Boyd's wood on one of my Garands I refinished.

Really like the photo, the diagonal makes it more active, the way-retro classic scope, the glint of the polish on the ball of the bolt handle , the grain of the wood, even the weathered wood deck background. Just a good looking picture of a good looking rifle.

I'd +1 on a Post Your Rescue . . . especially with before and afters, where it started life, what it did, where it was found, where the bits and pieces were found, who helped, sleuthing down that last little bit, tools and techniques for fixing old problems, the target with the three holes next to the dime, all that stuff.

Done up right, this is where gun magazine articles can come from . . .

Edited by QuietDan
Be not that far from me, for trouble is near; O my strength, haste Thee to help me.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

500full.jpg

Maybe not the exact same rifle, but the same heart and soul.

Psalms 22:19

But be not thou far from me, O Lord: O my strength, haste Thee to help me.

Psalms 144:1

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Saving Private Ryan!

Awesome.