University of Tennessee No Weapon Zone Working Well

Thus may not be the best place for this, but I wanted to post so if a moderator needs to move it, please do so.

Last night two people were victimized on campus through armed robbery. After using an ATM both were attacked by a black male in his 20's. A male and a female were targeted, roughly an hour apart. No word on what kind of weapon was used.

This is not the first time that UT has sent out emails outlining such attacks. The last one involved a male with a firearm near campus and again no one was really hurt, but we all know that is always a possibility when a robbery takes place.

So, once again, sheep are disarmed and wolves still carry their teeth. This frustrates me to no end. I see college campuses constantly tout that free speech and civil rights are so important to a good learning experience and debate, yet not if it is a conservative viewpoint because that would be inflammatory.

I just needed to vent a little about the issue and raise the awareness for those that may have not heard about the incidents.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember those emails quite well. It pissed me off to no end when I went there. We can't even keep a gun in our vehicles. So not only are we stripped of our right to self defense while on campus, we can't even defend ourselves on the way to and from.

I still attend school here and got all of the e-mails. I'm never too worried around campus but when I lived in Fort Sanders all of my room mates had multiple self-defense weapons. There were actually two break-ins at my house, both stopped assailants were stopped without causing major injury.

You can use those emails to your (our) advantage in the next session of the General Assembly. Gather all of them that you can, send them to your State Rep and State Senator, and ask them why law abiding citizens should continue to be disarmed and unable to protect themselves in these situations. Let them know that acceptable collateral damage is not acceptable.

Schools in general are scared of another Columbine attack so much they don't realize by making weapons on campus illegal, they are punishing the law-abiding citizens. cause we all know those that carry illegally will carry no matter what law is on the books( cause they have nothing else to lose).

I'm glad i'm thru with college( if i go back it'll be online). If it was a perfect world we would not need to carry guns, Unfortunately it isn't a perfect world. Go ahead and thank Gov't for taking away your rights to protect yourself at school.

A conservative is a liberal who's been mugged.

Over time, a couple of liberal professors get jacked up at the ATM or shot at and the tune can change. Some campuses are getting bad enough for that to happen. Then, change comes. They have to have their nose rubbed in it first.

This is mostly a rant. I don't know a practical way to move it forward, as I am not about to jack up a lib professor myself. . . .

I am glad I am not a student anymore. I knew plenty of guys that kept guns in their dorms, frat houses, and vehicles (legal but against school policy). I was one of them. I believe I would encourage people to carry the small tasers or OC spray (especially girls) on college campuses in Tennessee. Tasers are kind of expensive, but seem to be worth the money. The laws here are pretty crazy when a college guy is breaking the law for even having a hunting rifle in his dorm room or truck.

I am about to finish my PhD in criminology, I am a former LEO, a former police firearms instructor, and a carry permit holder, yet I can't be trusted to carry my firearm or even secure it in my vehicle while parked on campus. As a commuter, I am basically required to travel from school to home disarmed. What's worse is that efforts to allow faculty and staff with permits to carry was defeated very soundly, primarily due to resistance from faculty on campus and campus police chiefs who started that standard alarmist BS about not being able to tell the good guys from the bad guys. One professor at UT had a sign on his office door that said "An armed campus is a hostile work environment." I wanted to ask them exactly why he was so concerned that his fellow faculty members are so psychologically unstable that they would suddenly go on a shooting rampage, but I digressed.

MTAS and CTAS are functionaries of UT, Think Tanks if you will, on our payroll, and across the board are two of the most anti-gun establishments in the State.

They are the chief lending institutions to the municipalities in the State, both County and City, far more powerful than anyone imagines, lawyers on the public dole, working to keep a liberal anti-gun agenda going in every venue they can hold sway over, and they have a lot of power.

They will never allow carry on campus, it will have to come from the Legislature if it is going to happen. Of course, that is how the Constitution is set up, but our Governor wants his buds at UT to be the deciding voice on the issue, instead of following the law.

MTAS and CTAS are functionaries of UT, Think Tanks if you will, on our payroll, and across the board are two of the most anti-gun establishments in the State.

What is the spell-out on MTAS and CTAS? These are organizations; organizations are composed of people. There is an Executive Director or a Chairman of the Board or a small group of people who call the shots.

Who are they? Where are they coming from? Who are they answerable to?

What is the spell-out on MTAS and CTAS? These are organizations; organizations are composed of people. There is an Executive Director or a Chairman of the Board or a small group of people who call the shots.

Who are they? Where are they coming from? Who are they answerable to?

Metropolitan Technical Advisory Service, County Technical Assistance Service.

Both under Institute of Public Service.

There's also, among other things, gag me with a backhoe, the Naifeh Center for Effective Leadership!

Go get 'em:

Institute for Public Service

- OS

Ok, for starters, there's a document on the website describing the step by step rules for getting a city to opt out of guns in parks:

Publications-Local Opt-out Prohibiting Handguns in Municipal Parks

I've glanced at it. Apparently there are a lot of cities that SAY they ban handguns in parks, but haven't taken all the legal steps to follow all the way through. I imagine that some of them have willfully not followed through and therefore HAVE NOT REALLY banned handguns in their parks.

The piece is written by a guy named Josh Jones. (It kind of reads like the cheerleading section for getting it done). Read between the lines and you can kind of pick out where he's coming from. Here's the Linked-in description of Josh Jones:

Josh Jones | LinkedIn

There, that's at least one name of a person in the organization. He's probably just a bit player in the whole ball of wax. However, somebody assigned this writing gig to this tool. Who is it? Figure out who THAT guy is, and what he cares about, and who HE works for, and then you've got something.

Here also is the Annual Report for the Institute for Public Service. It's got a big long list of names in it.

http://www.ips.tennessee.edu/userfiles/file/Annual Reports/2010 IPS Annual Report.pdf

Here also is the page for the staff (I haven't waded through it to find the high mucka-muck):

http://www.ips.tennessee.edu/?id=33

I'm sort of just playing around with this, the whole group is new to me. Surely there are senior members on the TGO Forum who know who's who and what's what, and certainly someone at the TFA knows them well.

In any event, I don't remember hiring ANY of these people to be my Lords and Masters and to call the shots and lead the rest of the State of Tennessee around by the nose.

I hope you don't detect any attitude . . .

Edited by QuietDan
Metropolitan Technical Advisory Service, County Technical Assistance Service.

Both under Institute of Public Service.

There's also, among other things, gag me with a backhoe, the Naifeh Center for Effective Leadership!

Go get 'em:

Institute for Public Service

- OS

Not to be nit-picky, but MTAS is the Municipal Technical Advisory Service.

MTAS Home

CTAS is as OH shoot reported the County Technical Advisory Service.

County Technical Assistance Service

I portend that they hold more sway over our day to day lives than any other entity in the State, and as they are tax payer funded, their intrusions into issues that they are not directly responsible for (Legislatively) they are constantly guilty of Official Oppression.

The day after the Legislature passed the Parks Bill, they sent a write up to every City and County government instructing them how to "Opt Out" of the provision.

They are the "hired guns" of the Liberal establishment in Tennessee, and are the lightning rod for all Agenda 21 issues in the State.

Not to be nit-picky, but MTAS is the Municipal Technical Advisory Service....

Yep, oops.

I used to work with MTAS/CTAS some, as internal clients (my department was under Institute for Public Service, at least for budgetary and organizational purposes), traveled some around the state with some of their agents to cities/counties where they had favorable inroads. Some places they had no influence, weren't even really welcome due to previous interactions that didn't go well for one reason or the other. Shifting alliances over time though, lots of influence in West TN, had additional offices in Jackson, dunno if still do.

There was another org they used to fund called CGT (Center for Government Training). Basically a periodic few days of workshops where newly elected city/county officials could "learn how to govern". Right. I guess that effort is consolidated into the other acronym divisions now.

In ways I could only ever partially understand, being privy to only the outward trappings, the whole shebang under the IPS bureaucracy is basically a way for UT to influence TN political machine on both state and local levels, both to get more revenue and also to advance their own agendae, which of course tends to be liberal. I found the whole endeavor to be quite Machiavellian.

Incidentally, Lamar Baby, in his short tenure there, was responsible for beefing up the whole IPS machine (appointed a former cabinet crony as UT's first female vice-president to oversee it), and yet simultaneously managed to crap on overall funding from the legislature, losing a percentage level that to my understanding has never been restored.

- OS

Yes they still have an office in Jackson. I ran up against them last year when they tried to add back in the nonsense about all handgun purchases having to be approved by the Chief of Police etc., the old standard stuff. We shut down the City Council meeting and went into a sidebar, and they withdrew their push, once they saw I had done my homework. I even had the New Chief of Police backing my stance.

They do not like me much down here. They also had a presence when we beat them on Parks Carry.;)

Guest WyattEarp
This. It makes me happy I attend from 100+ miles away. MTSU is constantly sending me timely warning emails. Shots fired, to unwanted sexual advances. Whatta place. It absolutely drives me nuts on the rare occasions of a mandatory on campus event, as I am forced to disarm.

I haven't inquired yet, but I've thought about checking with MTSU PD about seeing if they would allow me to secure my handgun at the MTSU Police Dept office right across from MTSU before class, and picking it up after class, that way I'm not unarmed for more than 5 minutes on my way home, and only for my classes while I'm on campus. I don't know if they will go for that, but worth asking at least.

It is an unfortunate reality that all people ever think about when the campus carry discussion comes up is "drunk undergraduates." Faculty, staff, older graduate students, and all the other people who spend time on educational facilities seem to be left out of the equation. :up:

I do, however, think that campus carry will eventually make it's way to TN. Although I came within spitting distance of moving to TX when it looked like they were going to pass campus carry. :P

Guest WyattEarp
It is an unfortunate reality that all people ever think about when the campus carry discussion comes up is "drunk undergraduates." Faculty, staff, older graduate students, and all the other people who spend time on educational facilities seem to be left out of the equation. :up:

I do, however, think that campus carry will eventually make it's way to TN. Although I came within spitting distance of moving to TX when it looked like they were going to pass campus carry. :P

it's the result of a biased, fear driven, factless, baseless and generalized thought process of the timid anti-gun crowd. most of them think college + 18-20 years old who party and get drunk every weekend and carrying guns = reckless behavior, but in reality, you gotta be 21 to get a permit, you gotta go through the course, you gotta get the permit, so by the time a college student is a senior (assuming he went to college right after he graduated high school), he/she is thinking about getting a job, and their decisions while still somewhat immature or more long term goal related.

Excellent point regarding the teachers, staff and graduate students, they are almost always overlooked. The anti-gun crowd doesn't argue when it comes to sending these same 18 year old boys off to war to die, but if the question of carrying on campus arrives, they're lumped into the category of reckless and dangerous.