Are There Any T/C Contender Shooters Here?

Westwindmike

I just traded for a nice set of Contender barrels and frame. The frame has been back to the factory for the "easy open" mod. The barrels I got are:

14" Bull Barrel in .223 with a 4x Leupold

10" Bull Barrel in .44 Magnum with iron sights(soon to be scoped)

10" Bull Barrel in .45 Colt/.410 shotgun with removable choke.

I got out last week to shoot them all and they are a blast to shoot. The .223 was hitting a target at 200 yards. The .44 shot good, but needs a scope to help my old eyes. The .45/410 barrel was the most fun to shoot. With my .444/.410 handloads, I was able to hit a few clay birds thrown from a spring trap.

Are there any other Contender owners here?

What barrels do you have?

My next barrel may be either a .22 Hornet or .30-30.

IMG_0477Small.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "easy open" mod changes the pivot point of the trigger guard hinge pin. The factory moves it from the front of the frame near the barrel hinge, to the middle of the frame(right over the trigger and under the cat). You may be able to see it in my pic above. I have never tried the standard, hard to open frame, so can't say how much easier it is to open. The previous owner sent it in and had it modded. I think he said it cost about $50.

This is from the TC site:

EASY OPEN CONTENDER FRAME CONVERSION

In 1981 T/C changed the location of the trigger guard pivot pin. The pin is now located toward the lower middle of the frame instead of up front, under the forend wood. This relocation was done to give the shooter more mechanical advantage when opening the Contender. We can convert any early Contender frame (before serial #195,000) to the easy open type. This conversion includes all the required parts (trigger guard, trigger, hammer, etc.) We will need the entire pistol returned to us.

Easy Open Contender Conversion - A23565 $55.95

Custom Shop - Accessories - Thompson/Center

I love TC's. I've shot several but never owned one. Well actually I owned a frame but never got a barrel for it, sold it to a buddy who didn't get a barrel for it and now I'm trying to get that back.

Would love a .223, a .22, a 30-30 and a .44 mag. Oh and through in a 45-70 for good measure.

Maybe one day I will get that frame back. Yours looks like it's in great shape.

Guest samoanbob

I have a stainless one with a 14" .223 barrel. I can usually hold about a 1.5" group at 100 yards using a rest and a pistol scope. Probably could do better with a younger pair of eyes. Makes a big bang, throws about a foot and a half fire ball out the front end and has surprisingly little recoil. Ranks pretty high on the fun-o-meter.

I also have a custom barrel that shoots a shortened arrow that is propelled by a 22lr blank cartridge. Only shot this one once. The arrow almost went through the archery target that I was shooting at. Not sure what I'm going to do with this one. I don't think it is legal to hunt with it and I'm pretty sure that metro cops would be knocking on my door if I shot it in my back yard.

I have a stainless T/C Contender. a Super 14" 30-30 barrel that shoots amazing with 125grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Never fails to get the deer each year.

A Super 14" .22lr barrel that is a blast to shoot. A 10" .222 Rem barrel that is a death ray on ground hogs. The 40 grain Ballistic Silver Tips are like grenades to groundhogs.

Had a 10" 44 Mag barrel but traded it off. Never shot it anymore. Looking at getting a .223 barrel.

used to shoot handgun silhouette matches with mine, probably 30 yrs. ago. Have both 10" and 14" in 7mm TCU which is a .223 case blown out to accept 7mm bullets. It's a hard shooter punches right through mild steel. Have wanted to take it hunting, but never have. Also have a 14" in .223 with a Burris 6x scope that's a nail driver. Taken my share of g.hogs with that one. And I've got a .22 mag with 1.5x scope. Cleaned out all the squirrels around my house a few years ago with it when they started chewing through the cedar siding. They go down really quick with a head shot. I think I took out 14 of em' with 15 shots over a period of a few weeks.

I have a Contender that must be 25 - 30 years old. I have the .223 and .357 maximum barrels. The .357 maximum was a great round for the Contender. I hand loaded some extremely hot rounds that the Contender seemed to digest without complaint. Unfortunately I don't have enough brass left to warrant setting up the press. The 223 is a blast to shoot, especially at night. Quite an impressive fireball.

Glenn

I am NOT knowledgeable in contenders, but isn't there several models of them? I have always wanted to get one, but don't even know where to start. What is the best one to start with? Thanks guys.

If you are just starting, don't overlook the Encore. I have several, including a Pro Hunter pistol 15" in .308 Win. It is a sweet gun, although like all pistols chambered in a rifle caliber, it has an attention getting recoil (but is managable).

Count me in. One frame and two super 14 barrrels: 7mmTCU and 45 Winmag. Used the 7mm for long range ground hogs. The 45 is a handfull but a real blast to shoot. I bought these sometime bwtween 1978 and 1980. I started off with a 10" 221 fireball but could not get it to shoot accurately.