Wife wants a new AK

z90HD

So here is my problem. The wife and I are going shopping tomorrow for a new AK. There is a new gun shop opened up here in Maryville and the owner has offered me good trade on my 1891 mauser.

The wife was wanting a wasr but after looking at the saiga ak's shes hooked. Now im looking for advice on what would be the better choice. She wants a 7.62x39 as we have plenty of ammo. The shop has a wood stock thumb hole hunter version with the longer barrel, the next in line is the standard synthetic stock.The owner then had to just show her the tactical version in .223 and now she dont know what to choose. So im looking for your thoughts and opinions.

Now for those of you wanting to know about the new gun shop, Its called Stars and Stripes Shooting Sports

2318 Market Place Drive, Maryville. (865) 233-1077.

This weekend is also the Grand Opening and they are giving away a free rifle and other small prizes.

If you know 411 south and the new Wal Mart,they are located in the little strip mall just below the Wal Mart.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 73challenger

I think I would look at the Manufacturer of the AK more than if its original or tactical. That can always be changed later. I don't know anything about AK manufacturers though.

Guest lostpass

Let me fix this up for you:

Dear Penthouse,

My wife has decided she wants a three way but she can't make up her mind between Cindy Crawford and Halle Berry. At first she was all Cindy Crawford but I'm not so sure, the Halle Berry is a newer model.

Tactically the Halle Berry seems more flexible but the Cindy Crawford is proven.

Thoughts?

You Sir, have no problem. You have a wife that wants an AK-47 rifle!

Everything else is just details.

Buy her whatever she wants. And then dinner out afterwards.

This. If your wife wants a rifle, she has to know something about the cartridge. It's her rifle, her decision--just sit back and let her have at it. I lucked out and married an girl who has had experience :clap:

If you go for the Saiga, make sure it has the bullet guide installed so it will accept standard AK mags. If it doesn't have the bullet guide, you are looking at a modification cost to get it done. Or buy the kit and do it yourself.

The Saiga's come with a proprietary mag, and will not accept a standard AK mag. Something to think about.

I would go for a WASR of some sort and be happy she wants one. I built an AK74 for myself and made the mistake of letting the wife fire it. She commented on how smooth it cycled and how low the recoil impulse was....... I was out an AK74. Now I have to build myself another one.

Well here is how my day went.

We started out at 7:30 am taking her cousin to probationary driving school, hit a few yard sales while waiting for Bill's Outpost to open. On our route we stopped at Subs and Such for Breakfast. As we headed to Bill's I get a call from stars and stripes letting me know his AK builder is there for show and tell and to let the wife see up close how one comes apart and answer any questions she may have had. So now we forget about Bill's and get to Stars and Stipes, we get there and after about an hour and a half of her learing whats what she finally decided on the 7.62x39 standard. Took about 40 minutes for TICS and ICE and then off to the range we go. She is just as happy as can be with her new purchase. Now we just need to pickup a windage adjusting tool to get that set and I can then say she bought an awsome rifle.

"...TICS and ICE." What does ICE have to do with a gun purchase?

Congrats on a wife that wants an AK. I've only been able to get mine to shoot one of my guns once. Thats right, one round.

ICE (immigration and customs enforcement) has everything to do with her purchase. MY wife is a beatuiful lady from the great country of Germany. She is here legaly and every 10 years it cost her a small fortune to stay in the U.S.

So anyway ICE is imigration and interpol in europe. When the gun shops run her background it has to be called in by phone and then its a waiting game because of the ICE check. Longest she had to wait was 4 days on her first puchase but now she's been down to about 15-30 minutes. I hope this clears it up for ya.

Good choice on the 7.62x39. It just feels more fun shooting than the 5.45. That being said the 5.45 is a nasty round.

Thanks, and I did try to get her to go for the 5.45 but she had her mind made up. She does not want to keep up with another caliber. Personally I was looking at the polish tantle about about a year ago in the 5.45 and regret not getting it when it was cheap. But now she bought this one, so I get choice on the next.