Lee Hand Reloader

Guest Big-A

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several. They are great basic tools, but you will soon wish you had a better setup. There are small presses that you could store in a shoebox if you had to. I'm sure someone will suggest one here soon.

Just reread your post. Do you mean the "Lee Loader" or do you mean the Lee hand operated press? The one that looks like a nutcracker?

I have a Lee Classic Loader for 45 Colt. It seems to be a very appropriate tool to use for hand-loading ammunition for my single-action cowboy action pistol.

I keep the loader and a plastic-faced hammer in an ammo box, along with 200 rounds of brass, 200 lead bullets, 200 large pistol primers, and a pound of powder. It is a reloading bench in a box.

It is a very satisfying tool to use, the very minimum tool you can use to reload. Hammering out ammunition with little bits of metal is neat! You can reload at the range, or in a very primitive environment.

If it was the only reloading equipment you had, you might become frustrated trying to volume produce ammunition. I also have a full up reloading bench with presses that have a higher output.

But, for what it is, the Lee Classic Loader is an excellent tool, well worth the very minimal investment.

I have the Lee Breech Lock hand press kit and have used it for depriming and priming 9mm brass. It's wonderful for these tasks as you can do it on your couch watching tv and it is extremely effortless. In fact, at first you are tempted to muscle the primer into the brass even after its fully seated because it is such a subtle feel.

I can't speak for the rest of the process, but for depriming and priming its great and cheap.

I have one that I use mostly for .32 and .38 S&W. Those old low-pressure pistol loads are very easy to reload at the range with the hand-press when you are trying to get a load recipe that works well. Brass with thicker sides requires more effort and the afore-mentioned hammer may be needed.