Rep Curry Todd Arrested DUI and possession of handgun while under the influence

Guest db99wj

Guest WyattEarp
I am willing to bet he is never convicted of DUI, and at that point having a gun is moot.

Either way he is a dumb ass.

money talks, but since he's someone well known, his lawyer will probably get it knocked down to reckless driving.

This guy is now useless to our cause politically. Here is the letter that I mailed to Mr. Todd today on my nicest stationary:

Dear Mr. Todd,

I am a nine month pregnant NRA member and am embarrassed by your alleged behavior. You have reflected badly on law abiding citizens with carry permits, including myself. To put it bluntly, you did not hold yourself to the standards that Tennesseans deserve and I feel you should resign. I pray that your actions do not castrate any progress we have made in the gun rights arena.

regardless of how guilty he may seem, it might be best to wait until he's had his day in court before doing things like this or passing judgement.

Just because someone is arrested, doesn't mean they are guilty, until they are found so in a court of law. I really can't stand the character assasination that the media portrays on someone when arrested and charged with a crime. They trash people, guilty and innocent, they influence potential jurors before a case is ever heard in a courtroom based on what they see in the media, but when it is the innocent that get trashed in the media, reputations get ruined, friendships are lost, jobs and income get lost.

This country seems to have forgotten about "presumed innocent, until proven guilty in a court law by jury of his/her peers". Instead now just because it's on the 5 o'clock news, well that must mean it's true. Let me tell ya this, just because it's reported by the media, doesn't mean it's true and doesn't mean it's accurate or even that the entire story was told.

He sure looks hammered. I'm betting it all sticks.

if he refused to blow, doesn't he just loses his license for a year? better than a DUI. Although, I didn't think they did breathalyzer here in Tennessee? I thought they took you for a blood test at the hospital? and I thought if you refused they could get a warrant and still get your blood drawn anyhow?

You know after this and the whole "drug test welfare recipient movement..." I truly believe we should start drug screening politicians, because they are really just upscale high class welfare cases. Living off our tax dollars and not producing. Its the same theme different ghetto.

so you drug screen them, but how does that prevent drunk driving?

He did not take the breath test. When you deny it, isn't that an automatic admission?

Remember: This is the police dept that had several Titans players "dead to rights" on DUI, and nothing held up in court, due to not following procedure. Wonder if a "lack of procedure" will up end this, too...

i thought it was just refusal to submit to breathalyzer or BAC test, and automatic 1 year revocation of your drivers license?

does he lose his HCP if he refuses to submit to a BAC test, and takes the 1 year driver's license suspension?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

money talks, but since he's someone well known, his lawyer will probably get it knocked down to reckless driving....

I'm guessing that in this case (McNair example be damned) Todd's special niche of notoriety will make a plea deal more unlikely; forget the public, he may have half the Hill leaning on the DA to stick him.

As for all your other questions, I'd posit that the cop cam and police testimony will likely be sufficient for an "under the influence" conviction. BAC/blood test not necessary for DUI or firearm possession while under the influence.

Class A 'meanor conviction bound to zap his HCP for a year or so, but for all I know he could still carry with his LEO status, dunno what procedures are in place for that.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Lol , but seriously thats some good thinking. Your exactly right.

You know after this and the whole "drug test welfare recipient movement..." I truly believe we should start drug screening politicians, because they are really just upscale high class welfare cases. Living off our tax dollars and not producing. Its the same theme different ghetto.
regardless of how guilty he may seem, it might be best to wait until he's had his day in court before doing things like this or passing judgement.

Just because someone is arrested, doesn't mean they are guilty, until they are found so in a court of law. I really can't stand the character assasination that the media portrays on someone when arrested and charged with a crime. They trash people, guilty and innocent, they influence potential jurors before a case is ever heard in a courtroom based on what they see in the media, but when it is the innocent that get trashed in the media, reputations get ruined, friendships are lost, jobs and income get lost.

This country seems to have forgotten about "presumed innocent, until proven guilty in a court law by jury of his/her peers". Instead now just because it's on the 5 o'clock news, well that must mean it's true. Let me tell ya this, just because it's reported by the media, doesn't mean it's true and doesn't mean it's accurate or even that the entire story was told.

Oh please. :rolleyes:

We judge here; it’s what we do. You do it as much as anyone.

Innocent until proven guilty? You must be kidding me. If that was the case they wouldn’t handcuff you, take you to jail and tow your car before you are convicted.

if he refused to blow, doesn't he just loses his license for a year? better than a DUI.

Better for who? I wish I had statistics on DUI arrests VS. DUI convictions, but I don’t. A refusal may help your case, but its doubtfull the average citizen will get off. It does keep your BAC out of evidence.

Although, I didn't think they did breathalyzer here in Tennessee? I thought they took you for a blood test at the hospital? and I thought if you refused they could get a warrant and still get your blood drawn anyhow?

They don’t need a warrant.

Some departments use blood draws, some use breathalyzers. Serious injury or fatal accidents will usually get a blood draw.

"Prevailing Wisdom" on this incident as drawn from numerous gun forums:

This was a Christian Conservative Republican, so we shouldn't condemn him based on Liberal, Commie media who were obviously out to burn him.

This an obvious Obama Muslim left wing plot. Curry was at home reading the Bible and Constitution of the United States at the time.

Where in the Constitution does it say you can't be stupid, drunk or both and not bear arms?What part of " shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

In light of the fact that all of the above is a forum mantra,why are we even discussing this incident?

Edited by wjh2657
Guest WyattEarp
Oh please. :rolleyes:

We judge here; it’s what we do. You do it as much as anyone.

Innocent until proven guilty? You must be kidding me. If that was the case they wouldn’t handcuff you, take you to jail and tow your car before you are convicted..

sorry there Mr. Police Officer, but in this country, it is innocent until proven guilty.

Let me give you an example. I had a friend back in Missouri, who came down with vertigo one night. He had no knowledge of having it prior to this night, had never been diagnosed, it came at him out of the blue. He was driving one night on his way home from work and it hit him. He was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. When the vertigo hit, he was swerving slightly and just trying to make it home. The police officer who pulled him over did an FSB which he failed terribly, because he couldn't even stand straight. Asked him to do a breathalyzer, he agreed which was negative, then handcuffed him, took him to the hospital, had the ER draw his blood, then took him to jail for suspected DUI. He was bonded out by his parents. Knowing he wasn't drinking or using drugs, he went to his doctor. They performed some tests it was determined he had vertigo. When he went to court, the BAC blood test was negative for controlled substances and alcohol. The DA was unwilling to drop the charges, until he found out that the guy's doctor was there and prepared to testify, only then did he drop it and have everything expunged from the record, but which still show up on a background check. Now please tell me how that person was not wrongfully done? But I guess because a police officer arrested him, towed his card and took him to jail, he was guilty right? Not hardly. Not by a long shot. Cops like you make me sick. You're a gross misrepresentation of the badge and everything it stands for, and you wonder why most people hate cops and hate dealing with them and don't care to respect them.

The media should not have access to criminal cases until they're concluded. A person's mugshot and a story of what they allegedly did shouldn't be flashed all over the front page of the paper or on the 6 pm news until after he or she has been found guilty, agreed to a plea bargain, or probation. Only then it should be allowed.

You can't get your own family member's health records without their signature or a court order by a judge or an act of God, yet you can go to the police department and get someone's entire history of arrests, splash it and their picture all over the news and destroy someone's reputation in the media before anything is ever heard in a court of law, and any evidence is ever heard by a jury. It's not up to a police officer to decide if you're guilty or not. That's not his job. His job is to decide if he has enough evidence to arrest you on charges. It's then up to the DA if he has enough evidence to prosecute you on those charges and get a conviction. It's the judge's (in the case of a trial with no jury) decision or in the case of a jury trial, it's the jury's decision.

sorry there Mr. Police Officer, but in this country, it is innocent until proven guilty.

Cops like you make me sick. You're a gross misrepresentation of the badge and everything it stands for, and you wonder why most people hate cops and hate dealing with them and don't care to respect them.

RIF. With your reading skills you have no business writing for a newspaper.

I want you to go back and read what I wrote again…. Only slower this time.

I will be standing by waiting for your apology.

Let me give you an example. I had a friend back in Missouri, who came down with vertigo one night. He had no knowledge of having it prior to this night, had never been diagnosed, it came at him out of the blue. He was driving one night on his way home from work and it hit him. He was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. When the vertigo hit, he was swerving slightly and just trying to make it home. The police officer who pulled him over did an FSB which he failed terribly, because he couldn't even stand straight. Asked him to do a breathalyzer, he agreed which was negative, then handcuffed him, took him to the hospital, had the ER draw his blood, then took him to jail for suspected DUI. He was bonded out by his parents. Knowing he wasn't drinking or using drugs, he went to his doctor. They performed some tests it was determined he had vertigo. When he went to court, the BAC blood test was negative for controlled substances and alcohol. The DA was unwilling to drop the charges, until he found out that the guy's doctor was there and prepared to testify, only then did he drop it and have everything expunged from the record, but which still show up on a background check. Now please tell me how that person was not wrongfully done? But I guess because a police officer arrested him, towed his card and took him to jail, he was guilty right? Not hardly. Not by a long shot. Cops like you make me sick. You're a gross misrepresentation of the badge and everything it stands for, and you wonder why most people hate cops and hate dealing with them and don't care to respect them.

The media should not have access to criminal cases until they're concluded. A person's mugshot and a story of what they allegedly did shouldn't be flashed all over the front page of the paper or on the 6 pm news until after he or she has been found guilty, agreed to a plea bargain, or probation. Only then it should be allowed.

You can't get your own family member's health records without their signature or a court order by a judge or an act of God, yet you can go to the police department and get someone's entire history of arrests, splash it and their picture all over the news and destroy someone's reputation in the media before anything is ever heard in a court of law, and any evidence is ever heard by a jury. It's not up to a police officer to decide if you're guilty or not. That's not his job. His job is to decide if he has enough evidence to arrest you on charges. It's then up to the DA if he has enough evidence to prosecute you on those charges and get a conviction. It's the judge's (in the case of a trial with no jury) decision or in the case of a jury trial, it's the jury's decision.

in the eyes of a jury or judge you are considered innocent. And if you really believe that you are naive.

When you are arrested the cop darn well considers you guilty. if not he wouldn't have popped you.

innocent until proven guilty sounds good and all, but in reality it does not exist.

I'm still passing judgement. The facts of the case are clear. Unless the police misjudged his sobriety (unlikely) and planted a loaded weaponed owned by the suspect (more unlikely) then he clearly broke the law. Even if it gets knocked down or thrown out on a technicality he still broke the law. Just because someone is "innocent until proven guilty" or even found "not guilty" doesn't mean they didn't do it. It just means the law couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they did. If you disagree with that then you should have no problem with Casey Anthony babysitting your kids. This guy has given the HCP community a black eye and will be a rallying cry of the people who seek to curtail our rights. What happens in the courtroom doesn't matter in that respect.

I'm still passing judgement. The facts of the case are clear. Unless the police misjudged his sobriety (unlikely) and planted a loaded weaponed owned by the suspect (more unlikely) then he clearly broke the law. Even if it gets knocked down or thrown out on a technicality he still broke the law. Just because someone is "innocent until proven guilty" or even found "not guilty" doesn't mean they didn't do it. It just means the law couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they did. If you disagree with that then you should have no problem with Casey Anthony babysitting your kids. This guy has given the HCP community a black eye and will be a rallying cry of the people who seek to curtail our rights. What happens in the courtroom doesn't matter in that respect.

You're right. Justs frosts me that the anti's are taking unfair advantage of it.

The main point of this is not if he gets convicted, not convicted, guilty, not guilty, the problem is far more reaching this this guy. IIRC, he was a major player in getting our carry rights passed in the first place (might be wrong, but I believe that is right), he is the major player in expanding our rights to carry in more places, like places that serve alcohol. NO matter if he is guilty or not guilty, the credibility of getting our rights advance is gone. Anytime from this point on that our gun rights are brought up and how we, as a community, are law abiding citizens, especially when it comes to places that serve and we would like to carry, there is going to be a stigma attached to it. The opposition will bring up, everytime, about how "our primary sponsor was nailed for DUI, no matter if he was guilty or not, he will be deemed "guilty" in these discussions/arguments. So you guys are law abiding, what about Curry Todd. (No ? needed, due to the fact they aren't really asking a question).

I wonder what is going to happen to our carry rights when the Democrats take back over. It will happen at some point, wonder if we will loose those rights to carry in restaurants that serve, etc. (Not sure if can even happen, but I'm sure someone on here knows.)

So in summary, no matter what happens to Curry Todd, I believe that the advancement of our carry rights are going to be hampered severely and possibly reduced. I hope I'm wrong.

....I wonder what is going to happen to our carry rights when the Democrats take back over. It will happen at some point, wonder if we will loose those rights to carry in restaurants that serve, etc. (Not sure if can even happen, but I'm sure someone on here knows....

Of course any statute can be repealed, if that's what you're asking.

- OS

Of course any statute can be repealed, if that's what you're asking.

- OS

...or in this case, be reintroduced...

I just didn't want to say and be wrong, but that is what I thought. I hope it doesn't come to a reduction of rights, but.....makes me nervous.

The main point of this is not if he gets convicted, not convicted, guilty, not guilty, the problem is far more reaching this this guy. IIRC, he was a major player in getting our carry rights passed in the first place (might be wrong, but I believe that is right), he is the major player in expanding our rights to carry in more places, like places that serve alcohol. NO matter if he is guilty or not guilty, the credibility of getting our rights advance is gone.

We as handgun carriers are going to be judged based on his actions…. Sucks doesn’t it?

That happens to other groups also.