I-Phone vs Droid

Guest bigbovine

Guest bigbovine

The wife and I have decided to enter the market. This will be for her, I have no interest. I will be making the Decision, thats just the way it works. I learn and make choice, then bring it home and show how to use. Having no experience whatsoever, I do pick up on things quickly. I have been reading and asking questions for a couple of weeks now. Just wanted to see if I here anything different from you guys.

Uses we forsee in the immediate future:

Phone Calls

Very little Texting

Constant Contact

Facebook

GPS turn by turn

Barcode lookup?

Email

I am sure there are others she will discover, but this is what we are looking at that we know of.

We will be using our same service provider, So The phone is the only issue we are looking at. So What have you got to say, Good vs bad, Bigger Screen worth it(She will probably want biggest she can get), Dependable, ETC.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Droids definitely have a bigger screen. Having used both, I prefer the iPhone. I'm an Apple kind of guy so I have many of their products and the ability of the iPhone to integrate with pretty much everything was a big plus for me. I find iOS more stable than the Android OS. Either phone will do any of things you have listed. The Android "brand" is less structured and rigid, making for a large variety of apps. Apple somewhat controls their apps and so far as I have seen, has a little less variety but it makes for a better, more stable product overall.

Guest bigbovine

Another side note, we have no mp3 players, Ipods, etc., and our computer is Microsoft, with no plans to specifically own an Apple product per se. Just haven't seen the need to do so.

Guest bkelm18
Another side note, we have no mp3 players, Ipods, etc., and our computer is Microsoft, with no plans to specifically own an Apple product per se. Just haven't seen the need to do so.

If you have no other Apple products or services, that kinds knocks out the advantage of the iPhone IMO. The Droid is a great phone, I just like the iPhone better since it works well with my other stuff.

Droid X has Sat GPS and Tower GPS, I believe Iphone only has Tower GPS unless it has changed.

I love my Droid X and it is now the old model droid. Still does everything I want. I held off on smart phones until a year ago and now I love it.

Droid you don't have to use Itunes to sync but if you use Itunes already for music will then no big deal.

I am grandfathered in on unlimited data with verison. I was in before the change. So they will probably have me for a long time.

Yea the iPhone gps is only tower but unless you are navigating in tue woods, the inaccuracies are negligible. Still good enough for turn by turn.

I like the iPhone. The apps may be fewer but they are, as said, more stable. I have a PC as a primary computer and feel I don't loose anything by not having a Mac. All you have to have is iTunes downloaded and you can access all features. iPhone is just ahead of android. The world goes crazy over a new iPhone or new iOS because it's become the standard that all others try to achieve.

Now for the listed things you want

1) yes get a smartphone, otherwise Internet and facebook are not desirable.

2)either will work and you will probably be loyal to whichever you choose, simply because that's the one you learned on

Guest bkelm18
Droid X has Sat GPS and Tower GPS, I believe Iphone only has Tower GPS unless it has changed.

The first iPhone did not have GPS IIRC but they do now. True GPS that is.

The iphone and droid are both great phones for the uses you have listed. That said, I have a Droid and have never thought twice about an iphone.

The big negative for me with the iphone is the requirement to use itunes. You have to get ALL of your apps through itunes. If you are already an itunes user, then this might be great. I prefer the Droid where an itunes account is not required and most apps are FREE.

I can't speak for the gps on the iphone, but the gps on my DroidX2 is spot on. I got a little turned around after tracking a deer at night (shot just before dark) last winter, and my Droid brought me right back to my truck. Also has voice turn-by-turn navigation when ur driving (iphone prolly does too)

The only negative thing I have to say about the droid is my battery life is not the greatest if I am using it heavily. I carry an extra charged battery if I know I will not have access to a charger for an extended period of time (camping, etc.). Being able to swap the battery is actually a plus for the droid for me since I don't think the batt can be changed in an iphone.

Edited by Batman

I really like my Casio Commando Droid. It's water resistant,shock resistant and even as a little flashlight. My Motorola Droid died when I got caught in a rainstorm during a hike. I know you can put an Otter Box on any smartphone, but then it becomes a lot bulkier in the pocket. Yes I have submerged my phone, because I couldn't resist testing it. The finish is awesome too. It still looks new even though it gets carried with my keys.

I don't see why people think iTunes is a negative about the iPhone. It's one of the reasons iPods/iPhones became so successful. It's intuitive, stable, and helpful (especially the backup feature).

If you're hooked up to a PC to drag/drop something into your phone, it's not much harder to import it into iTunes and synch, IMO. I just put my iTunes library on an external harddrive (but a thumb drive will work), so I can use any PC to synch my media.

PS I have about 4 dozen apps on my iPhone and I only paid for 3 of them. Like the others say, iPhone apps are usually more stable, since they get more vetting.

Edited by BigK
I really like my Casio Commando Droid. It's water resistant,shock resistant and even as a little flashlight. My Motorola Droid died when I got caught in a rainstorm during a hike. I know you can put an Otter Box on any smartphone, but then it becomes a lot bulkier in the pocket. Yes I have submerged my phone, because I couldn't resist testing it. The finish is awesome too. It still looks new even though it gets carried with my keys.

Just FYI I bought a case called Lifeproof for my iPhone. It's dirt, dust, snow, and waterproof. It's expensive @69.00. But to be submersible to 2 meters is worth it to me. Plus it's on 13mm vs 9.5mm naked iPhone. Very slim.

Android is an Operating system that has a steep learning curve to new users. The iPhone is put together so that anyone can use it with ease. You say Droid, so I'm assuming your talking about one of the phones with the Droid branding, not just a phone with the Android OS on it. However if you are generalizing all Android OS phones as Droids, make sure you don't compare a phone like the huawei ascend to the iPhone. It's like comparing a turd to a orange. You get what you pay for, try to get something that has been released in the last year. Both phones will do what you want them to do, let your wife pick the one that she likes the best is my opinion.

Both will do everything you want them to do. That said I stay away from anything Apple. I took an iTouch to an Apple store and they wanted to charge me $50 not to get it fixed, but for the sheer honor of talking to someone that might be able to fix it. I said "You people are nuts" and swore to never do business with them again.

Apple has great products, but they care far more for their products than the people that buy them.

As far as media goes I can plug my HTC EVO into my computer and hit a button on the phone that says "Sync as jump drive" and my phone will look to my computer to be a memory stick. I can just drag and drop anything I want on it. No iTunes required.

Edited by Will H
Guest uofmeet

I think that the Iphone is a much better phone. I also feel it is much easier to use. And you can do all of what you want, and more than with an iphone. I like mine very much. their is even a free turn by turn GPS app on the iphone so you don't have to pay extra every month.

Just my 2 cents.....

Guest bkelm18
I think that the Iphone is a much better phone. I also feel it is much easier to use. And you can do all of what you want, and more than with an iphone. I like mine very much. their is even a free turn by turn GPS app on the iphone so you don't have to pay extra every month.

Just my 2 cents.....

Android also has GPS navigation at no cost as well.